The Student Room Group

Loans and Grants miscalculation???

I thought that I'd have more than enough money to cover me, but today my payment time table has come through and I am shocked. I might have (and really hope) I have done the calculations incorrectly, and I was wondering if anyone was going through a similar problem.

I am one of the 'less well off' students, and therefore get more loan/grant than the average student.

Anyway, I've applied for accommodation at Leicester which costs £126p/w. It is premium ensuite, I am fine with ''ordinary ensuite'' but you have no other option when you go self catered. It's either premium or premium plus which is even more expensive.

Anyway according to the university website, the first term is 15 weeks, therefore term 1 costs me: £1890.

My loan for term 1 is £1129 where as my grant is £1302. So from 15th sept until 11th january I have £2431. If I take away my rent of £1890 I am left with £541.

That's £36 a week. That just about covers food. Have I miscalculated something? Is anyone else going through the same problem. Am I going crazy

Scroll to see replies

Original post by somethingunique
I thought that I'd have more than enough money to cover me, but today my payment time table has come through and I am shocked. I might have (and really hope) I have done the calculations incorrectly, and I was wondering if anyone was going through a similar problem.

I am one of the 'less well off' students, and therefore get more loan/grant than the average student.

Anyway, I've applied for accommodation at Leicester which costs £126p/w. It is premium ensuite, I am fine with ''ordinary ensuite'' but you have no other option when you go self catered. It's either premium or premium plus which is even more expensive.

Anyway according to the university website, the first term is 15 weeks, therefore term 1 costs me: £1890.

My loan for term 1 is £1129 where as my grant is £1302. So from 15th sept until 11th january I have £2431. If I take away my rent of £1890 I am left with £541.

That's £36 a week. That just about covers food. Have I miscalculated something? Is anyone else going through the same problem. Am I going crazy

all I have learnt from ringing up student finance is that every single person in that call center is an utter idiot
After my accomodation comes out, i'll have about £42 a week :frown:
To make sure you've worked it out right, check when you enrol at the uni (you only get your SF after this date, regardless of what date is on your letter) and then work out how many weeks until the end of term. Also, it is likely that one of these weeks is a holiday, so you may not spend £36 if you are at home? Hope this helps, feel free to PM me and i'll help you because I have gone through the same with mine :colondollar:
Original post by l.broadhurst
all I have learnt from ringing up student finance is that every single person in that call center is an utter idiot

I agree completely!

I am 100% sure I always get the same woman. I hear you though

by the way I am also considered to be 'less well off' and I am very sure the university will also supply us with bursaries for low household income as well as good grades
by the way I am also considered to be 'less well off' and I am very sure the university will also supply us with bursaries for low household income as well as good grades

Thanks :smile: Yeah you're right, but eugh leicester hand out bursaries in feburary. Am I meant to starve around xmas? Okay maybe Im being dramatic but yeah

I feel for you... When I take my accommodation out, all I have for each week is £23. I'm also doing a costume course so I will need sketchbooks, inks, materials etc.. everything including food out of £23 a week. I'm going to be a poor poor student.
Original post by StayCee089
I feel for you... When I take my accommodation out, all I have for each week is £23. I'm also doing a costume course so I will need sketchbooks, inks, materials etc.. everything including food out of £23 a week. I'm going to be a poor poor student.

Think I have been living in some sorta fairy world because I tried to calculate it before my payment letter and everything seemed to work out fine. £23 is RIDICULOUS. I'm still convinced I must have miscalculated. How do they expect you to live off that??

If you don't mind me asking are your parents (for lack of better words) ''well off''
Mate. You're lucky. Most people's loans don't even cover basic accommodation. Yours gives you en-suite AND money for food. Stop complaining.
Think I have been living in some sorta fairy world because I tried to calculate it before my payment letter and everything seemed to work out fine. £23 is RIDICULOUS. I'm still convinced I must have miscalculated. How do they expect you to live off that??

If you don't mind me asking are your parents (for lack of better words) ''well off''

No my parents hardly earn a thing (way under the 25,000) so I'm really worried as to how I'm going to keep myself up. Perhaps a part time job but I have to go into uni 5 times a week so it doesn't leave much time left for work. Also, my accommodation makes me pay nearly £800 in August.. before I even receive my student loan, how that is going to be possible I don't know :frown:
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Mate. You're lucky. Most people's loans don't even cover basic accommodation. Yours gives you en-suite AND money for food. Stop complaining.

Yes but we don't have parents who can lend us money or anything so we don't have much left to actually look after ourselves with.

I live with my single mum who is self employed and probably makes less than 500 a month (however is helped by the government where necessary). Anyway, point is I can't go running asking her for money. I suppose I could but I would feel AWFUL.
No my parents hardly earn a thing (way under the 25,000) so I'm really worried as to how I'm going to keep myself up. Perhaps a part time job but I have to go into uni 5 times a week so it doesn't leave much time left for work. Also, my accommodation makes me pay nearly £800 in August.. before I even receive my student loan, how that is going to be possible I don't know :frown:

Sorry to hear it :/ My parents are pretty much the same. I deffo intend to get a part time job.

800 POUNDS FOR WHAT!??!?! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I think my friend had to put down like £250 for a deposit of some sort. That's crazy.
Yes but we don't have parents who can lend us money or anything so we don't have much left to actually look after ourselves with.

I'm lucky in the fact my parents can give me money. But lots of parents can't or won't. That leaves the student with very little. I HATE HATE HATE living off my parents. I'm 21. They shouldn't have to fund me. You're luckier than most students so please don't complain. If you want more money have cheaper accommodation. I can see single accommodation for £91.70 on the Leicester website. That gives OP an extra £34.30 a week.
Sorry to hear it :/ My parents are pretty much the same. I deffo intend to get a part time job.

800 POUNDS FOR WHAT!??!?! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I think my friend had to put down like £250 for a deposit of some sort. That's crazy.

Live in the real world. Deposits are usually 4-6 weeks rent.
I'm lucky in the fact my parents can give me money. But lots of parents can't or won't. That leaves the student with very little. I HATE HATE HATE living off my parents. I'm 21. They shouldn't have to fund me. You're luckier than most students so please don't complain. If you want more money have cheaper accommodation. I can see single accommodation for £91.70 on the Leicester website. That gives OP an extra £34.30 a week.

I'm going to Birmingham not Leicester the cheapest is £119, I'm happy about the fact that I can afford the accommodation and food, but whats the point if i cant afford anything to actually complete my course with? I NEED materials, its a costume making course so there's no point in the whole thing If I can't afford the things I need for my course. Its not like English where all you need is a few books and pens.
I'm going to Birmingham not Leicester the cheapest is £119, I'm happy about the fact that I can afford the accommodation and food, but whats the point if i cant afford anything to actually complete my course with? I NEED materials, its a costume making course so there's no point in the whole thing If I can't afford the things I need for my course. Its not like English where all you need is a few books and pens.

Again, with two seconds looking I've found you cheaper halls at £83 a week, That gives you loads of money to spend on course materials. If you can't get cheaper halls then rent privately - that often works out cheaper than the expensive halls.

Also, books are very expensive.
Again, with two seconds looking I've found you cheaper halls at £83 a week, That gives you loads of money to spend on course materials. If you can't get cheaper halls then rent privately - that often works out cheaper than the expensive halls.

Also, books are very expensive.

Why are you personally targeting me? I answered the posters issues by agreeing that we don't get left with much money, not at one point did i mention that people weren't worse off than me. I have to go in Curzon gateway :')
Why are you personally targeting me? I answered the posters issues by agreeing that we don't get left with much money, not at one point did i mention that people weren't worse off than me. I have to go in Curzon gateway :')

Then you need to complain to your student union that the accommodation is too expensive. I'm just saying that you can't come on here going 'I get max loan and grant but I can't afford my **** expensive accommodation the government should give us more' when there are loads of people who get minimum loan and can't afford the cheapest.

I would still say rent privately. It's not ideal but if that's all you can afford then you have to do it.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending