The Student Room Group

Are there any decent guys anymore that value marriage/commitment

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I second that one if you have commitment you don't need a pice of paper to say you love each other or that your committed to each other x now just to find a las with morals these days and is committed ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think being married not only allows you legal benefits (and no I don't mean divorce, but death) and getting to call them your husband/wife etc I'd be proud to do that. It really isn't just a piece of paper. Unfortunately, a lot of women just want to spend thousands on 'the perfect dress' and don't actually understand or appreciate the commitment they are making. It's all materialistic and elaborate. I think the cheapest weddings (the ones that just get married at the registry office) are more likely to last, because it's not about a wedding and spending money to impress guests, it's about commitment and love.
Original post by Anonymous
and aren't religious? Do they even exist? I'm 23, a virgin, don't drink etc. After I get my degree, I just want to settle down and have a family with a decent guy, but where to find them?

Hey I would say that your the female version of me effectively. But with a few key differences. I don't particularly like clubbing, I hate the hype of having to pretend to love the whole drunken binge party ever present at clubs. I cannot stand superficiality and vanity which is also present in clubs. I'm introverted, prefer my own space, get drained by all the loudmouth, party style lunatics that call drunkenly dancing and falling flat on their faces "fun", I'm also observant and prefer to think rather than speak, listen rather than state.

It is a real shame nobody has any morals of decency these days. Then comes my views on ONS, Casual sex, boozy romps and all the rest of it. I think this is degrading and that society has become to too accepting and open.

I'm also 23, and very much value commitment and marriage although marriage isn't a prerequisite. All of the relationships I've been in have been exclusive and I just don't understand the appeal of open relationships.

I'm not a Virgin, though I've always had sex within a committed and exclusive relationship. I've never understood why people would want to risk their health and not get to know the person their having sex with prior to Sex taking place.

More often than not they are most likely found in places that align well with their personalities; study spaces, libraries, quiet bars, country pubs (as these are my favourite places!), and places that support their beliefs, core values and hobbies. Could be some sort of club? Who knows....

I would find someone you most like and pay attention to the sorts of venues they frequent and start integrating yourself into their circle. This may be the best approach. To approach practically :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I think being married not only allows you legal benefits (and no I don't mean divorce, but death) and getting to call them your husband/wife etc I'd be proud to do that. It really isn't just a piece of paper. Unfortunately, a lot of women just want to spend thousands on 'the perfect dress' and don't actually understand or appreciate the commitment they are making. It's all materialistic and elaborate. I think the cheapest weddings (the ones that just get married at the registry office) are more likely to last, because it's not about a wedding and spending money to impress guests, it's about commitment and love.
I don't see being able to call my partner my "wife" really all that to be honest. There's just something about marriage I really don't like. I think if Humanist weddings were legalised in England, then one day I may give it some thought, but still, it's just... I dunno. Not for me I guess.
After years of being married I don't think I want to do it again, that doesn't mean I don't want a committed and stable relationship. In reality never really wanted to marry the ex as we were then fine the way things were but I needed to get her a residence permit and the only way to get one for her at that time was through marriage.

In future I doubt I'd marry as I don't view it as a necessity, I generally view marriage primarily as a religious and state construct rather than anything else.
Reply 45
Original post by ChickenMadness
lol at all the self proclaimed 'good guys'

More supreme gentlemen on TSR than there are lesbians in a whole food shop.
Reply 46
No only guys who wanna be bachelors and bang random girls for the rest of their life...

Ofc theres guys like this. I definitely am but gotta wait and find whichever girl that is...
Yeah they exist but girls just love a$$holes
Reply 48
Commitment is great, but marriage? Not quite so.
Lots of guy will tell you that is them, but most of them are not that way out of choice tbh
I'm with a guy who values commitment and also isn't religious. He's 23 and he's always been the more affectionate and clingy (not in a bad way) one in the relationship.
I value commitment and marriage, but my luck with women is usually terrible, as I only attract the crazies :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending