The Student Room Group

Should I be put off with the new btec resubmission rule?

I have got a place in college to do BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Electrical/Electronic Engineering. In the pre enrolment day one of the tutors said that the one thing that is going to change is that you cannot resubmit assignments anymore as part of the new btec rules, so its a "get it right first time" course.

One thing I have noticed is that our tutors have Phd in Electronic Enigneering, so they are highly qualified.
My question is should I really feel put off by the fact we can't resubmit anymore, because I feel sort off put off with that new rule??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by captain123
I have got a place in college to do BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Electrical/Electronic Engineering. In the pre enrolment day one of the tutors said that the one thing that is going to change is that you cannot resubmit assignments anymore as part of the new btec rules, so its a "get it right first time" course.

One thing I have noticed is that our tutors have Phd in Electronic Enigneering, so they are highly qualified.
My question is should I really feel put off by the fact we can't resubmit anymore, because I feel sort off put off with that new rule??

I wouldn't be concerned about it. Provided you put your best efforts into your work then there should be no need for a resubmission of work.

If you want the best chances of doing EVERYTHING first time then make sure you understand what the criteria is asking for, in other words understand the operative verbs, the operative verbs are just as important as what you include in your work. Here is a link which might be of some help

Secondly, the vast majority of the resources that you need will be inside of the book provided to you at the start of the course.

Thirdly, if you don't understand after reading through the material, then I'm sure there's plenty of resources that are available to you on the internet

Fourth, make sure you include everything that's needed or relevant to the criteria.

I don't think I'd need to mention about how important time management is. Make sure your work is submitted on the deadline and to the required standard..

Fifth, if necessary do an abstract for the assignment/criteria, this can be used as a check list to make sure you've included everything.. I've only ever done this for 2 modules , and those modules were Distinction on first hand in.

EDIT: If you think the lecturers are being to harsh regarding the marking then make sure you appeal.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Binary Freak
I wouldn't be concerned about it. Provided you put your best efforts into your work then there should be no need for a resubmission of work.

If you want the best chances of doing EVERYTHING first time then make sure you understand what the criteria is asking for, in other words understand the operative verbs, the operative verbs are just as important as what you include in your work. Here is a link which might be of some help

Secondly, the vast majority of the resources that you need will be inside of the book provided to you at the start of the course.

Thirdly, if you don't understand after reading through the material, then I'm sure there's plenty of resources that are available to you on the internet

Fourth, make sure you include everything that's needed or relevant to the criteria.

I don't think I'd need to mention about how important time management is. Make sure your work is submitted on the deadline and to the required standard..

Fifth, if necessary do an abstract for the assignment/criteria, this can be used as a check list to make sure you've included everything.. I've only ever done this for 2 modules , and those modules were Distinction on first hand in.

EDIT: If you think the lecturers are being to harsh regarding the marking then make sure you appeal.

Thanks for that link, its very helpful, highly recommend it to people thats going to start a btec in college.

Also when appealing, who exactly should I go to for the appeal?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for that link, its very helpful, highly recommend it to people thats going to start a btec in college.

Also when appealing, who exactly should I go to for the appeal?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Usually the head of the course or the internal lead verifier.
Reply 4
I will be starting the second year of my BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Engineering in September and these rules will apply to me also which I think is unfair as I am halfway through the course and these changes will affect my final grade.

I was also told by my teachers that edexcel have introduced a rule where the teachers cannot show us the marking chart of how many pass, merit or distinction criteria we have passed. And we cannot complete assignments outside the classroom....
Reply 5

My college ran like this. It's a brilliant idea and really motivates you. I left with an MMM. If I was allowed to resubmit it would have easily been a D*D*D* but I wouldn't of really earned those grades. It's a better system for you because you can concentrate on new assigmments without constantly having to look back over old ones.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by AM1R
I will be starting the second year of my BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Engineering in September and these rules will apply to me also which I think is unfair as I am halfway through the course and these changes will affect my final grade.

I was also told by my teachers that edexcel have introduced a rule where the teachers cannot show us the marking chart of how many pass, merit or distinction criteria we have passed. And we cannot complete assignments outside the classroom....

Anyone else believe this, because I'm finding the last paragraph hard to believe
Reply 7
I really want to get atleast D*DD, I hope the new rules will not stop me from achieving this, I am very well prepared for my Maths since I've got an A at Gcse and have just finished doing AS Level Maths
Reply 8
You'll be fine with the first year maths in the BTEC. It's pretty much GCSE recap, the only part I found hard was calculus (differentiation and integration) which was one of the pass criteria.
Reply 9
Original post by AM1R
You'll be fine with the first year maths in the BTEC. It's pretty much GCSE recap, the only part I found hard was calculus (differentiation and integration) which was one of the pass criteria.

What grade did you get in your first year?
Reply 10
What grade did you get in your first year?

I got 2 passes, 4 merits and 2 distinctions in the first year. In the maths unit I got a merit.
I didn't have to resub at all through my BTEC, I came out with D*D*D*. Don't be put off by it, it's just a way for them to make them harder- that's good because it'll shut ignorant morons on here up when they say BTECs are easier than year 2 sats.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by kpofsuburbia
I didn't have to resub at all through my BTEC, I came out with D*D*D*. Don't be put off by it, it's just a way for them to make them harder- that's good because it'll shut ignorant morons on here up when they say BTECs are easier than year 2 sats.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks a lot that will motivate me, its put me off lately.... what would your tips be for me to get the best grade I can? e.g time management etc.
Thanks a lot that will motivate me, its put me off lately.... what would your tips be for me to get the best grade I can? e.g time management etc.

Do your work when you get it, spend time in the library, read outside about your subject (mine was journalism) and take notes during classes :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by kpofsuburbia
Do your work when you get it, spend time in the library, read outside about your subject (mine was journalism) and take notes during classes :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do some colleges have this rule anyway? ive noticed some people had this even before this new rules released. Infact my friend whose doing level 2 in the college im going to in september said that he pretty much had that rule anyway
(edited 9 years ago)
Do some colleges have this rule anyway? ive noticed some people had this even before this new rules released. Infact my friend whose doing level 2 in the college im going to in september said that he pretty much had that rule anyway

My college really didn't care if we passed or failed so they didn't bother with any extra stuff. I did it because I didn't want to get a bad grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You'll be fine. As long as you reference where you obtained your information and not plagiarise your work.

Make sure you understand what you're reading from the resources and write everything in your own words.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
How many assignments are there in average per unit?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How many assignments are there in average per unit?

Posted from TSR Mobile

2-4 I think, that's how many I had per unit :smile: Extended Diplomas have at least 18 units :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AM1R

I am also going to be starting the second year of my BTEC in September and thought it was incredibly unfair for Edexcel to change the rules half way through the course. This seems to also have been the opinion of the majority of colleges affected, Edexcel have realised this and are now not applying the new rules to those already part way through a course, only those who are beginning their course in September 2014. Here's the link to Edexcel's post in which they comment on it http://www.edexcel.com/btec/news-and-policy/Pages/ViewNotice.aspx?notice=3635

Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending