The Student Room Group

International Citizen Service Team Leader role

Has anyone been on the ICS team leader role assessment day? How was it? What did it involve?
Yeah ive done it. Really easy as long as your confident. Pretty much the same as volunteer interview /assessment :smile:
Reply 2
That's brilliant - thanks!

So, have you already been overseas? What was it like? What was the team like?
Original post by crazystar
That's brilliant - thanks!

So, have you already been overseas? What was it like? What was the team like?

Meant to be going in sept for team leader job in South Africa, do you have an interview yet?

My problem is, being 23 and feeling I should be starting to get paid at this age, what do you think?
Go and like GlobalGiving UK on facebook which have many volunteering positions!
Reply 5
I feel the exact same way. But then I figured its good experience and you get to travel a bit so it's pretty decent.

Ive been told they don't need any more team leader till 2015 so I'll be going on an assessment day towards the end of the year.

Are you off for 3 months?

What sort of info/training do they give you?

Oh, and what were the people on your assessment day like?
I was on training with other volunteers, they just ask you to control the groups discussion and take the lead on activities. not much specific info for team leader, im still a bit confused haha! and compared to the people on the assessment day, they were pretty young/inexperienced for eg they came to the location with there parents/ haven't traveled much before.

Whats your background? do you want to get into
What sort of experiences in team leading do you have?

I would like to be a team leader but don't have any relevant experiences as a leader :frown: Do you all have a relevant degree?

Are you all still studying or quitting your job to go overseas?
Reply 8
Original post by schoolpffr
I was on training with other volunteers, they just ask you to control the groups discussion and take the lead on activities. not much specific info for team leader, im still a bit confused haha! and compared to the people on the assessment day, they were pretty young/inexperienced for eg they came to the location with there parents/ haven't traveled much before.

Whats your background? do you want to get into

I went on the ICS programme recently and I decided to get in to youth and community work. I've sort of got experience through temp work etc.

Original post by meaow1990
What sort of experiences in team leading do you have?

I would like to be a team leader but don't have any relevant experiences as a leader :frown: Do you all have a relevant degree?

Are you all still studying or quitting your job to go overseas?

I'll be temping until I get the team leader role (optimistic thinking - lol). I didn't think I had experience too, but I've gotten past the first stage!

I'm sure you have transferable skills that would help.
Have you been on the ICS programme as a volunteer?
I went to ICS last year but because of my studies and work and lots of financial and personal issues, I could not really think of volunteering although I did try and find something as I was interested in community work and will volunteer this summer for two weeks in youth and community work but I'm not sure whether that is sufficient! How many months of experience do you have? Are you in London?

Tbh, I didnt find it easy finding volunteering work with people at my age as I felt like they preferred people who already had experience.

I am working in a cafe and often have a supervisory role but I dont think that counts. I applied as a team leader straight after I got back from my ICS placement but they said I lacked experienced in pastoral support etc. :frown:
Does anyone know if you can volunteer one year and be a team leader another? Given that it says you can only do it once but surely it's logical to be a volunteer first and then a team leader?
Reply 11
Original post by meaow1990
I went to ICS last year but because of my studies and work and lots of financial and personal issues, I could not really think of volunteering although I did try and find something as I was interested in community work and will volunteer this summer for two weeks in youth and community work but I'm not sure whether that is sufficient! How many months of experience do you have? Are you in London?

Tbh, I didnt find it easy finding volunteering work with people at my age as I felt like they preferred people who already had experience.

I am working in a cafe and often have a supervisory role but I dont think that counts. I applied as a team leader straight after I got back from my ICS placement but they said I lacked experienced in pastoral support etc. :frown:

I'm glad you mentioned the pastoral support thing :redface: I don't think I've got much expereince in that. At least I know what I need to focus on!

TBH, I don't have that much expereince in any of these things. I sort of draw out examples from the work i've already done and hope its enough. I didn't know I wanted to get in to youth and community work untill recently so now I'm trying to get my foot in the door.

What organisation will you be volunteering with in the summer?

And nope, I'm not in London.

Original post by Chrizzle94
Does anyone know if you can volunteer one year and be a team leader another? Given that it says you can only do it once but surely it's logical to be a volunteer first and then a team leader?

Yes - you can. It's what I'm doing. My PS also told me you could be a team leader several times over.
Original post by crazystar
Yes - you can. It's what I'm doing. My PS also told me you could be a team leader several times over.

Thanks!
Does anyone know how much Team Leaders (or whether or not they would) be paid for ICS job? I can’t seem to find the answer anywhere
Original post by Strawberrysweet
Does anyone know how much Team Leaders (or whether or not they would) be paid for ICS job? I can’t seem to find the answer anywhere

I'd give them a call :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending