The Student Room Group

Which fourth A Level should I choose?

Until this morning I had planned to take English Literature (WJEC), History (OCR), Welsh (WJEC) and Sociology (WJEC?) for my A Levels in September (and also Welsh Bacc which is equivalent to an A Level which is compulsory).

Unfortunately, my school has changed the options sheet and has moved Sociology into the same column as Welsh. I'm a bit gutted because I was looking forward to taking that but it happens.

I'm looking at the options sheet and there are three other possibilities - Religious Studies (AQA), Law (WJEC?) or Business Studies (WJEC).

I didn't take Religious Studies for GCSE but I got an A in short course, would I be able to cope with it?
Law is a new subject which could be interesting but I have no idea what it will be like.
I took Business Studies for GCSE and I enjoyed the first year of it but I hated doing the coursework.

Which one of the three subjects would be best to take as my fourth option (bearing in mind this would be the one I would drop at the end of Year 12 if I find that four subjects is too much)? I'm leaning more towards Religious Studies but I'm unsure.
(edited 9 years ago)
i'd choose RS if I were you, looks the most respected out of the 3 :smile:
Reply 2
RS AQA is pretty nice, I would go for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd choose RS, it's the stronger of the three and It's a pretty nice A-Level.
Reply 4
Original post by Barry2011
RS AQA is pretty nice, I would go for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just wondering if you knew the structure of the course, I have some idea but I've not spoken to one of the RS teachers about it as I had no interest in it until now?
Reply 5
Original post by AmyGeorge98
I was just wondering if you knew the structure of the course, I have some idea but I've not spoken to one of the RS teachers about it as I had no interest in it until now?

Sorry, for some strange reason I wrote AQA but I meant OCR.

Have no idea about AQA.
Do what you think you'll enjoy the most! which of these subjects interests you the most and would be willing to work hard in?
I'd do RS personally. It's the most respected out of the three I think. Law isn't really high regarded, even law degree's themselves often discourage it as an A-level. Business studies isn't that respected either. But it does depend on your interests and what you want to do? If these subjects don't have much relevance to your degree/career path, then just pick anyone you enjoy? I was similar where I had chosen choices but couldn't decide on my final option. The first 3 covered my degree preferences so I just chose French as I enjoy it and it may come in useful in future. So I'd do the same: either pick the one closest related to your degree if you think it will help, if not, then just choose the one you'll enjoy!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest