The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SmallTownGirl
Then you need to complain to your student union that the accommodation is too expensive. I'm just saying that you can't come on here going 'I get max loan and grant but I can't afford my **** expensive accommodation the government should give us more' when there are loads of people who get minimum loan and can't afford the cheapest.

I would still say rent privately. It's not ideal but if that's all you can afford then you have to do it.

I never said the government should give us more I just said it's not much? Jeez.
Original post by StayCee089
I never said the government should give us more I just said it's not much? Jeez.

Again, I say: cheaper accommodation and don't complain.
Again, I say: cheaper accommodation and don't complain.

It's hard to have cheaper accommodation when you have over controlling parents who wont let you go to university unless you have an en-suit, unless you're in Curzon etc. Stop looking for arguments and go else where, all I did was answer her worries, you making snappy horrid comments isn't going to change the fact that none of us have much money.
It's hard to have cheaper accommodation when you have over controlling parents who wont let you go to university unless you have an en-suit, unless you're in Curzon etc. Stop looking for arguments and go else where, all I did was answer her worries, you making snappy horrid comments isn't going to change the fact that none of us have much money.

Either tell your parents their paying for the expensive halls or you're living in a cheaper one. Or tell them you got assigned cheaper halls and can't switch. Why do people not have the guts to stand up to their over-controlling parent?
Either tell your parents their paying for the expensive halls or you're living in a cheaper one. Or tell them you got assigned cheaper halls and can't switch. Why do people not have the guts to stand up to their over-controlling parent?

Sorry gal but you're a bit of a cow You don't know what its like obviously. Like I said, I answered her post, simple as, you don't need to come on a website and start targeting people because of your own money problems, we all have money problems, whether that's trying to afford the basics or trying to afford the bits you'll need. We are all in the exact same boat so chill and move on.
Sorry gal but you're a bit of a cow You don't know what its like obviously. Like I said, I answered her post, simple as, you don't need to come on a website and start targeting people because of your own money problems, we all have money problems, whether that's trying to afford the basics or trying to afford the bits you'll need. We are all in the exact same boat so chill and move on.

So?
@StayCee089

Either tell your parents that they need to fork out because they're making you go into these halls, or change accommodation to what you can afford​.

My halls were £13 less than that a week (£106) and I still had £100 left over - this is on maximum grant and loan.

But yes, halls are too expensive and unis need to crack down the prices.

(Sorry, quoted the wrong post)
[h="1"][h="1"]''...If somebody else has it much worse, that doesn't really change the fact that you have what you have''[/h]I know lots of people have it much MUCH worse than me but as the quote says it doesn't change what you have which is true. I don't think you should make people feel bad for what they have because others in comparison have less. It's not like anyone was acting like a complete diva saying ''Oh I have 2 cars, and my daddy just bought me a house but he says I have to start working for myself''.

I appreciate your suggestion of getting cheaper accommodation and the one you suggested I think is located in 'mary gee' which I have heard from several people is really quite horrible (no offence to those applying for it). What's the point of swapping 'nice' accommodation for more money? It's like oh i'll give away my arm for a leg. The reason I am ensuite is because I am a bit of a germaphobe. I have used school toilets exactly 4 times. Irrational I know. Sharing toilets just would not work out for me.

Anyway I was NOT complaining, I was genuinely surprised that it all came down to 30 something pounds a week mostly because I was under the illusion I'd get more.
Original post by somethingunique
(Sorry, quoted the wrong post)
[h="1"][h="1"]''...If somebody else has it much worse, that doesn't really change the fact that you have what you have''[/h]I know lots of people have it much MUCH worse than me but as the quote says it doesn't change what you have which is true. I don't think you should make people feel bad for what they have because others in comparison have less. It's not like anyone was acting like a complete diva saying ''Oh I have 2 cars, and my daddy just bought me a house but he says I have to start working for myself''.

I appreciate your suggestion of getting cheaper accommodation and the one you suggested I think is located in 'mary gee' which I have heard from several people is really quite horrible (no offence to those applying for it). What's the point of swapping 'nice' accommodation for more money? It's like oh i'll give away my arm for a leg. The reason I am ensuite is because I am a bit of a germaphobe. I have used school toilets exactly 4 times. Irrational I know. Sharing toilets just would not work out for me.

Anyway I was NOT complaining, I was genuinely surprised that it all came down to 30 something pounds a week mostly because I was under the illusion I'd get more.

My friend lived in Mary Gee and and loved it.
(edited 9 years ago)
My friend lived in Mary Gee and and loved it.

Good for him/her. Glad they liked it.
The reason I am ensuite is because I am a bit of a germaphobe.

Ah, found an issue here. You're assuming your halls are gonna be germ free, they aren't at all.
Good for him/her. Glad they liked it.

The thing I learnt from two years in the private sector is that sharing bathrooms isn't really that bad. And anywhere you live in uni accommodation is nicer than the mouldy, slug-ridden places you'll live after. And this is coming from someone who had their en-suite paid for by DSAs due to health reasons.
Original post by Roving Fish
Ah, found an issue here. You're assuming your halls are gonna be germ free, they aren't at all.

If I scrub them clean they should be :tongue:

Pretty sure it's going to be a lot safer to have your own bathroom that people haven't thrown up in 5 minutes ago :')
Pretty sure it's going to be a lot safer to have your own bathroom that people haven't thrown up in 5 minutes ago :')

Have a designated chunder toilet then. There's gonna be more than one in a shared bathroom flat. They'll be cleaned regularly anyway.
Have a designated chunder toilet then. There's gonna be more than one in a shared bathroom flat. They'll be cleaned regularly anyway.

Haha! Ew :biggrin: I've heard about the freshers flue apparently no one escapes

You know you can't catch drunken vomiting right? And anyway, just make sure people clean the toilet after they've done vomiting - like they should.
Haha! Ew :biggrin: I've heard about the freshers flue apparently no one escapes

I don't know anyone who got fresher's flu. Just don't make out with randomers.
You know you can't catch drunken vomiting right? And anyway, just make sure people clean the toilet after they've done vomiting - like they should.

I'm not stupid stop being so snide, just saying it's not exactly cleanly :P
I thought that I'd have more than enough money to cover me, but today my payment time table has come through and I am shocked. I might have (and really hope) I have done the calculations incorrectly, and I was wondering if anyone was going through a similar problem.

I am one of the 'less well off' students, and therefore get more loan/grant than the average student.

Anyway, I've applied for accommodation at Leicester which costs £126p/w. It is premium ensuite, I am fine with ''ordinary ensuite'' but you have no other option when you go self catered. It's either premium or premium plus which is even more expensive.

Anyway according to the university website, the first term is 15 weeks, therefore term 1 costs me: £1890.

My loan for term 1 is £1129 where as my grant is £1302. So from 15th sept until 11th january I have £2431. If I take away my rent of £1890 I am left with £541.

That's £36 a week. That just about covers food. Have I miscalculated something? Is anyone else going through the same problem. Am I going crazy

I'm in the same boat! My application messed up, so in the post I only received my loan which is just a bit more than yours (I'm one of those less well off student too) But I didn't get my grant because my application ****ed up. I don't think I'll be getting a great deal of a grant if you haven't either, so I'm also worried about my finances, plus my rent is a lot more than yours...

I'm so confused because I thought student finance was supposed to really help! Speaking to current students and watching shows like The Secret Life Of Students show that these people have more money than they know what do with. So why are we basically going into uni broke? :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending