The Student Room Group

Ended up in halls with a muslim?

Scroll to see replies

I'm in the same sorta situation-ish. Not a a drinker right now purely because my parents would disown me. Plan on starting when I go to Leeds uni this September.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 81
Original post by itsdiddlingtime
Nope. And you know what? It's cooled down, so, thanks for playing the weirdest and most terrible icebreaker game ever to pass the time. The answer was Malta. Chances are you've never even noticed it on a map if you've even heard of it. :P

I've heard of Malta but wow I never would've guessed lol!
Original post by SerLorasTyrell
I'd rather not be living with a Muslim but I wouldn't put up a fuss or anything

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not that I'm arguing just curious why you would rather not live with a Muslim?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 83
Original post by jesscann1
How would you feel if you moved into halls and one of your flatmates ended up being a Muslim? I'm probably being paranoid but I can't help but think they'd be disappointed for whatever reason, e.g I don't drink.

I'm not overly religious and still go to clubs and such but order a soft drink, it's just that there isn't many or I didn't see many other Muslims during applicant days, (university of Leeds), and I guess I'm used to their company.

I didn't opt for the halal dietary requirement as it means I'll be placed in a single gender flat and I really don't want that, I don't mind the fridge sharing and all that jazz as long as the foods are not touching.

Edit: this is my friends account, I'm a guy.

What university will you be studying at?
Reply 84
Original post by __fn
What university will you be studying at?

university of leeds
Reply 85
Anyone studying in Liverpool at LJMU September 2014? :smile:
I lived with one Muslim in my flat and next door to my flat there were 5 Muslims (6 people to a flat in my old halls). That was fine, however they all drank etc. I would feel uncomfortable if they didn't drink mainly because I'd feel like they were possibly looking down on me for choosing to and that I'd be leaving them out as that's all our flats did in first year! Also, you'll find it incredibly hard for food not to touch in a shared fridge. But food is in plastic packaging anyway so it's not actually touching. It's just I found that one fridge freezer to a flat of 6 was tiny and food was just shoved in however possible. You might want to buy a fridge for your room. The smaller ones that fit under your desk.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by manchesterunited15
Islam clearly encourages discrimination against non-believers

It clearly doesn't. Because, through my beliefs, I'm been taught to be amicable to everyone, as I am representing my religion and thus need to show it in a good light. Which I wouldn't be doing if I were racist.
Wouldn't care!

You are a person before you are a religion.

And who cares if someone doesn't drink? As long as you aren't trying to stop others doing it then it's not an issue.
Original post by Trustno1
Not that I'm arguing just curious why you would rather not live with a Muslim?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just don't appreciate anyone that worships something unconditionally that calls for my death, I'd feel uncomfortable with hardcore Christians too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by imaginewizard
It clearly doesn't. Because, through my beliefs, I'm been taught to be amicable to everyone, as I am representing my religion and thus need to show it in a good light. Which I wouldn't be doing if I were racist.

"Fight them (the disbelievers), Allah will punish them by your hands and bring them to disgrace, and give you victory over them and He will heal the hearts of those who believe." (Qur'an 9:14)

"Soon shall We cast terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers (Quran 3:151)
Original post by manchesterunited15
"Fight them (the disbelievers), Allah will punish them by your hands and bring them to disgrace, and give you victory over them and He will heal the hearts of those who believe." (Qur'an 9:14)

"Soon shall We cast terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers (Quran 3:151)

quotes taken out of context, there's a reason why each verse was revealed. These verses were either revealed at times of war or when the Muslims were being oppressed and killed by the disbelievers for being Muslims.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 92
Original post by EmmaHalley
I lived with one Muslim in my flat and next door to my flat there were 5 Muslims (6 people to a flat in my old halls). That was fine, however they all drank etc. I would feel uncomfortable if they didn't drink mainly because I'd feel like they were possibly looking down on me for choosing to and that I'd be leaving them out as that's all our flats did in first year! Also, you'll find it incredibly hard for food not to touch in a shared fridge. But food is in plastic packaging anyway so it's not actually touching. It's just I found that one fridge freezer to a flat of 6 was tiny and food was just shoved in however possible. You might want to buy a fridge for your room. The smaller ones that fit under your desk.

Posted from TSR Mobile

my flat is shared between 6 as well but there's two fridge freezers so hopefully it should be fine :smile:
my flat is shared between 6 as well but there's two fridge freezers so hopefully it should be fine :smile:

So jealous! haha yeah, that should be fine. If you still go out with everyone but drink soft drinks i'm sure they'll be no problem what so ever :smile: Hope everything works out for you :smile:
Reply 94
Original post by EmmaHalley
So jealous! haha yeah, that should be fine. If you still go out with everyone but drink soft drinks i'm sure they'll be no problem what so ever :smile: Hope everything works out for you :smile:

thank you :smile:
I think you misunderstood, I'm the Muslim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW7Op86ox9g
Original post by SerLorasTyrell
Just don't appreciate anyone that worships something unconditionally that calls for my death, I'd feel uncomfortable with hardcore Christians too

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough :smile:

If I'm honest I'm Muslim to and some are very hardcore and pushy so I understand.
Lol what? Religion is the most irrelevant thing. I shared a house with a Sikh Atheist and Christian we just divided the fridge and put meat at the bottom it's minor and only becomes a problem if you make it. Most of my friends at Uni were Muslim and I'd happily eat a bacon sandwich in front if them. Most Muslims understand the world is not going to change their dietary requirements for them.. They're used to it. If we eat out all we do is either find a Halal Restaurant or they eat vegetarian.

Muslims and any other religion for that matter when you meet these people in real life don't expect you to change anything because if their religion.

People on TSR can be so ignorant and oblivious to the real world.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think I'm concerned that people don't read the OP's situation properly before posting.......

Anyway- I was brought up to be open minded and accept anyone. So I would ask if any person would want to join in with any said activity, regardless of their background. E.g., could be an atheist but would not drink for health reasons etc.. or if they have any eating preferences I'd just work around them... eg vegetarian or halal, or vegan :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 99
Original post by Georgiina_Tee
Lol what? Religion is the most irrelevant thing. I shared a house with a Sikh Atheist and Christian we just divided the fridge and put meat at the bottom it's minor and only becomes a problem if you make it. Most of my friends at Uni were Muslim and I'd happily eat a bacon sandwich in front if them. Most Muslims understand the world is not going to change their dietary requirements for them.. They're used to it. If we eat out all we do is either find a Halal Restaurant or they eat vegetarian.

Muslims and any other religion for that matter when you meet these people in real life don't expect you to change anything because if their religion.

People on TSR can be so ignorant and oblivious to the real world.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for speaking some sense. I don't understand what goes through the minds of half the people on here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending