The Student Room Group

English, and placing commas correctly.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
what, do you mean? i think my comma, placement, is brilliant,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

(sorry)
Original post by arfah
comma after 'today', comma after 'assumption'

Not for me. First one is plain wrong, second one would change the meaning and make the prejudice and assumptions conjunctive when the assumption bit is supposed to be an explanation of the prejudice bit
Original post by Highfiveyou
Okay thanks! I know my grammar is bad, that is because I typed up fast. My main worry is comma splicing.

Any useful tip for comma use? Any methods you use in essays, or may have used?

Comma splicing is the normal neutral style of writing in British English, overuse of the semi-colon is mostly an American thing. In formal writing like essays and journalism the semi-colon may be appropriate, in less formal writing like stories and forum posts, the comma splice is fine.

You are comma splicing when you separate two thematically but not logically related thoughts with a comma. They can be replaced with a semi-colon - possibly indicating poor style if you use too many - or a comma plus connective. The two splices above might be replaced with "while".
Original post by scrotgrot
Comma splicing is the normal neutral style of writing in British English, overuse of the semi-colon is mostly an American thing. In formal writing like essays and journalism the semi-colon may be appropriate, in less formal writing like stories and forum posts, the comma splice is fine.

You are comma splicing when you separate two thematically but not logically related thoughts with a comma. They can be replaced with a semi-colon - possibly indicating poor style if you use too many - or a comma plus connective. The two splices above might be replaced with "while".

Have I comma spliced in my sentence? Or made any errors while using a comma. I know the context is really bad, but ignore that.

Do you reckon that I have used commas incorrectly? I know the context is awful, but please judge the commas.

??
Do you reckon that I have used commas incorrectly? I know the context is awful, but please judge the commas.

??

Hey! Ronove already gave you loads of help. Compare her rewrite to your original, then go read a book and you'll be fine.
Original post by kopi, ffs
Hey! Ronove already gave you loads of help. Compare her rewrite to your original, then go read a book and you'll be fine.

I don't trust books as some if them are not always grammatically correct. Some don't use punctuation properly at all, so that's no use to me.
I don't trust books as some if them are not always grammatically correct. Some don't use punctuation properly at all, so that's no use to me.

Any good/respected one should be fine... Read something by Sebastian Faulks or Zadie Smith, or anything that's ever been on a school reading list except that zany modern half-poetry shiz... Fahrenheit 451, Lord of the Flies, 1984, To Kill a Mockingbird, all fine, or a copy of the Economist if you like current affairs.

Read carefully and you'll start picking up on punctuation usage rather quickly. It's way more fun than trying to cram rules into your head by rote.
Any good/respected one should be fine... Read something by Sebastian Faulks or Zadie Smith, or anything that's ever been on a school reading list except that zany modern half-poetry shiz... Fahrenheit 451, Lord of the Flies, 1984, To Kill a Mockingbird, all fine, or a copy of the Economist if you like current affairs.

Read carefully and you'll start picking up on punctuation usage rather quickly. It's way more fun than trying to cram rules into your head by rote.

How about penguin edition books?
How about penguin edition books?

I mean puffin classics . The hound of the Baskervilles?
I mean puffin classics . The hound of the Baskervilles?

Yes :fluffy:
Yes :fluffy:

Thank you so much for answering my questions, unlike others being rude. I appreciate it immensely!
Reply 32
Not for me. First one is plain wrong, second one would change the meaning and make the prejudice and assumptions conjunctive when the assumption bit is supposed to be an explanation of the prejudice bit

Hmmm, sorry I do A level English, but I must be wrong if your majesty says so
Original post by arfah
Hmmm, sorry I do A level English, but I must be wrong if your majesty says so

seeing as you are doing A level english, I should really listen to you. By the way is your grammar good?
Reply 34
seeing as you are doing A level english, I should really listen to you. By the way is your grammar good?

Yea I think it's pretty good, i've studied many languages too, I'm multilungual:u: I'd love to help you out!!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by arfah
Yea I think it's pretty good, i've studied many languages too, I'm multilungual:u: I'd love to help you out!!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks I'll message you when I need help!
Reply 36
Thanks I'll message you when I need help!

No problem:biggrin: please do:sexface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Original post by arfah
No problem:biggrin: please do:sexface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why are you still offering help?

You're clearly not a native English speaker and your ideas of where to put a comma are genuinely the worst I've ever seen. Ever. Ever.

Are you doing A-level English Lit, English Lang, the combo or A-level English as a Second Language? Whichever you're doing, you need to work on your own skills rather than trying to advise others.

Honestly, it is just preposterous that you're still posting on this thread after that embarrassing show of your lack of knowledge.
Reply 38
Original post by Ronove

You're clearly not a native English speaker and your ideas of where to put a comma are genuinely the worst I've ever seen. Ever. Ever.

Are you doing A-level English Lit, English Lang, the combo or A-level English as a Second Language? Whichever you're doing, you need to work on your own skills rather than trying to advise others.

Honestly, it is just preposterous that you're still posting on this thread after that embarrassing show of your lack of knowledge.

Another very bad troll.. If she's offering help, you can calmly tell her that she maybe shouldn't..instead of doing that you call her an embarassment, I think you are the embarrassing one here..I'm sick of trolls like you.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Original post by Ronove

Ok

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending