The Student Room Group

Circle Theorems

Hello! I can't find a way to work out this question, I have done everything else on this sheet and I think I might be making a silly mistake!

Here is the question:

I thought I could use the rule- "Angle subtended on the same arc" but they aren't touching the circumference! A
Then I though about "Angle subtended by the diameter= 90 degrees". (You might be able to see faint working out marks) That didn't work because none of the lines are actually go through the centre...

Please help me! :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by karmacrunch
Hello! I can't find a way to work out this question, I have done everything else on this sheet and I think I might be making a silly mistake!

Here is the question:

I thought I could use the rule- "Angle subtended on the same arc" but they aren't touching the circumference! A
Then I though about "Angle subtended by the diameter= 90 degrees". (You might be able to see faint working out marks) That didn't work because none of the lines are actually go through the centre...

Please help me! :biggrin:

The first one seems to be a twisted round version of angles at the centre and circumferences (if you look carefully, they're both subtended by the same arc at the bottom)

For the other one, use the fact that the radii have equal lengths so they make an isoscoles triangle

Posted from TSR Mobile
They should be touching the circumference. In my opinion, it hasn't printed correctly and is aligned a little. Or they drew it badly in the first place badly. A question in the exam would not be so ambiguous. If you are not convinced, answer it both ways, on circumference and not on the circumference. Mymaths and mathswatchvle are very good resources- as well as the exam boards revision book. I also have a really good resource I will edit into this post when I find it. Here it is... http://bland.in/gcse/newpapers_combined.pdf I'd learn them before doing it. Do the appropriate questions as practice/ use it as exam practice after fully revising. I found it rather useful.
Original post by Arithmeticae
The first one seems to be a twisted round version of angles at the centre and circumferences (if you look carefully, they're both subtended by the same arc at the bottom)

For the other one, use the fact that the radii have equal lengths so they make an isoscoles triangle

Posted from TSR Mobile

"For the other one, use the fact that the radii have equal lengths so they make an isoscoles triangle" <-- Ahh thanks :smile:

But do you mean for angle S?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MathMeister

1. They should be touching the circumference. In my opinion, it hasn't printed correctly and is aligned a little. Or they drew it badly in the first place badly. A question in the exam would not be so ambiguous.

2. If you are not convinced, answer it both ways, on circumference and not on the circumference. Mymaths and mathswatchvle are very good resources- as well as the exam boards revision book. I also have a really good resource I will edit into this post when I find it. Here it is... http://bland.in/gcse/newpapers_combined.pdf I'd learn them before doing it. Do the appropriate questions as practice/ use it as exam practice after fully revising. I found it rather useful.

1. Ah, I was wondering. I'll ask my teacher
2. We've already learnt them (well 4 properly) :tongue: but thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
"For the other one, use the fact that the radii have equal lengths so they make an isoscoles triangle" <-- Ahh thanks :smile:

But do you mean for angle S?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's just a printing error, the sides should be touching the circumference and you can clearly see they are both subtended by the bottom arc, only one is at the bottom and one is at the circumference.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's just a printing error, the sides should be touching the circumference and you can clearly see they are both subtended by the bottom arc, only one is at the bottom and one is at the circumference.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay
So both are 41 degrees? I didn't realise that, that counts as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay
So both are 41 degrees? I didn't realise that, that counts as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile

T is, I don't think S is :/

What circle theorem are you using?

Posted from TSR Mobile
T is, I don't think S is :/

What circle theorem are you using?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what I Ithought T=41 degrees
I wasn't using one for that, you said that S & T were subtended by the same arc? Or maybe I misread that.
That's why I said 'I didn't know that counts?' :confused:

I'll look at it again, give me a min sorry!

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's what I Ithought T=41 degrees
I wasn't using one for that, you said that S & T were subtended by the same arc? Or maybe I misread that.
That's why I said 'I didn't know that counts?' :confused:

I'll look at it again, give me a min sorry!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I meant O and S... :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oooh... that's why I didn't get I then and you were saying it was most likely a printing error! :facepalm:

Sorry but thank you :biggrin:
Reply 11
Trying to explain a geometry question on here without referencing vertices can be hard as shown in this thread. I'm not entirely sure the OP understood it in the end.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got S wrong it was 49 degrees because of- Angle subtended at the is twice angle subtended at the circumference. :/
Original post by MathMeister
That's what I said at the beginning! :smile:

Honestly I don't think it was a printing error anymore because of what I said above ^ :redface:

Original post by notnek
Trying to explain a geometry question on here without referencing vertices can be hard as shown in this thread. I'm not entirely sure the OP understood it in the end.

It wasn't too bad don't worry, but the referencing would have helped more. It's fine :smile:
Reply 13

Honestly I don't think it was a printing error anymore because of what I said above ^ :redface:

(I think) both helpers were referring to the highest and lowest vertex, both of which are supposed to be on the circumference but are slightly too low (one is just inside the circle and the other is just outside).

I felt like throughout this thread you thought the "printing error" was something else. I may be wrong?
(edited 9 years ago)
I got S wrong it was 49 degrees because of- Angle subtended at the is twice angle subtended at the circumference. :/

It wasn't too bad don't worry, but the referencing would have helped more. It's fine :smile:

The first one seems to be a twisted round version of angles at the centre and circumference

I said that!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by notnek
(I think) both helpers were referring to the highest and lowest vertex, both of which are supposed to be on the circumference but are slightly too low or too high.

I felt like throughout this thread you thought the "printing error" was something else. I may be wrong?

No that is what I thought too with the vertices not touching properly.

After finding out the actual answer for angle S I thought that there isn't actually a printing error since I used the circle theorem 'Angle subtended on the centre is twice the angle subtended on the circumference' answer.

(I think) :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
No that is what I thought too with the vertices not touching properly.

After finding out the actual answer for angle S I thought that there isn't actually a printing error since I used the circle theorem 'Angle subtended on the centre is twice the angle subtended on the circumference' answer.

(I think) :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm confused. Which vertices are you referring to.
Arithmeticae
The first one seems to be a twisted round version of angles at the centre and circumference

I said that! :s-smilie:

You did? :0

I didn't understand what you meant by that before! I understand now only because I know which theorem to use.

Which might be what notnek means?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by notnek
I'm confused. Which vertices are you referring to.

Sorry, I didn't see this!

I meant the vertex at the top and the one at angle S which is slightly over the circumference of the circle. :smile:
Reply 19
Sorry, I didn't see this!

I meant the vertex at the top and the one at angle S which is slightly over the circumference of the circle. :smile:

OK so you are looking at the same vertices I am.

So I'm not sure why you now think there isn't a printing error (not really error, just not drawn accurately). Isn't it clear that both vertices aren't exactly on the circumference?

I know this isn't really maths anymore. I'm just interested to know what was going on in this confusing thread :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest