The Student Room Group

MH17 flight down in Ukraine

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DorianGrayism
Because it was a mistake

I just edited my post there by saying its not difficult to determine a fighter get from a civilian plane because they fly at different altitudes
Original post by Monsieur Gamma
AK-47s were handed to criminally inclined arabs over the decades ... so yes.

So did the Americans, who do you think trained and provided weaponry for Al-Qaeda?
Original post by Jammy Duel
So, does Russia also provide weapons to its own criminals too?

Who knows? They don't supply criminals so they don't supply separatists?

USA doesn't supply criminals with chemical weapons so it didn't supply Saddam with them either.
Reply 463
Original post by uberteknik
One has to ask how much of the Russian position is down to the Russian citizen or simply the autocracy of Putin and a few of his top cronies?

You really got the point here. I can tell you that Putin's popularity drastically increased after Sochi Olympics and Crimea return. Smth about 70-72% Russians support him atm. But almost 90% of Russians don't support conflict with Ukraine and somehow engaging military forces.
Original post by Petrue
They mistook it for a military aircraft. It's almost certain that the guys operating the missile launcher had no idea how to tell the difference between radio signals due to a lack of training.

Its a bit hard to do so because fighter gets are generally smaller and fly at much lower altitudes.
But I agree that whoever was operating it was an idiot.
(edited 9 years ago)
So did the Americans, who do you think trained and provided weaponry for Al-Qaeda?

We aren't talking about America though.
Original post by AlexKay99
I just edited my post there by saying its not difficult to determine a fighter get from a civilian plane because they fly at different altitudes

They may have thought it was a AN plane like the shot down 2 days earlier. They are not fighter jets.

In fact, I believe the idiotic separatist leader sent a tweet or Facebook post claiming that one was shot down before taking it down.
Its a bit hard to do so because fighter gets are generally smaller and fly at much lower altitudes.

No, they mistook it for a military transport aircraft. They recently shot down a Ukrainian Il-76 transport plane killing 49 service personnel. A plane like this:
Every time people criticize Russia or China for something like this, somebody always has to bring up the "BUT USA DID IT FIRST" defence and start slamming the USA. Give it a rest or make your own topic.
Reply 469
They may have thought it was a AN plane like the shot down 2 days earlier. They are not fighter jets.

In fact, I believe the idiotic separatist leader sent a tweet or Facebook post claiming that one was shot down before taking it down.

Yeah, it's true. They shot down similar AN jet two days ago or smth. And now they thought that they got the similar one.

I heard this also, although there is no way to determine whether it was actually his account or was himself. Its all to easy to make a fake fb page these days.
I heard this also, although there is no way to determine whether it was actually his account or was himself. Its all to easy to make a fake fb page these days.

I see. Didn't know that.
Original post by Petrue
No, they mistook it for a military transport aircraft. They recently shot down a Ukrainian Il-76 transport plane killing 49 service personnel. A plane like this:

Alright, its possible but they don't generally fly at such high altitudes?
Original post by Monsieur Gamma
We aren't talking about America though.

But it isn't irrelevant, you're arguing that Russia is providing them hardware because they're "terrorists" and Russia has a history of funding "terrorists". Byt that logic, the USA is also providing them with hardware given their history.
It's far from impossible, and you forget "they're terrorists", clearly they give zero ****s about civilians.

No, it is impossible because they are not mind readers.
Original post by uberteknik
One has to ask how much of the Russian position is down to the Russian citizen or simply the autocracy of Putin and a few of his top cronies?

Which is why the west is tactically targeting his close buddies/oligarchs to perhaps precipitate public unrest, which if it ratchets up, may cause an internal power struggle to oust him from government.

Let's face it, the Russian media do it all the time with western leaders whenever they get the chance. Take a look at the propaganda spouted on RT against Obama/capitalism/NHS/taxation/poverty/social benefits/immigration/moral collapse etc. all day everyday.

Some of the Russian people appear to have descended into a sort of routine of thuggery and viciousness, as can be seen in many cases amongst the separatists and their military supporters. (People like this already have a long and barbaric track record in places like Chechnya.) I am sure though that the majority of Russian people are decent and humane. This is about their government, a singularly corrupt one, which has captured the reigns of power through deceit and trickery and false promises.

We need to stop dealing with Putin as if he is some normal political leader. He clearly and absurdly obviously isn't.
No, it is impossible because they are not mind readers.

So, the only way to tell if a plane is civilian or military is through mind reading? How is AA legal D:
But it isn't irrelevant, you're arguing that Russia is providing them hardware because they're "terrorists" and Russia has a history of funding "terrorists". Byt that logic, the USA is also providing them with hardware given their history.

What? ... dude America funding the Mujahadeen to get rid of Russia during the Afghani war was YEARS ago ... this is NOW, after numerous amounts of peace treaties and the UN.

The only thing the USA is doing now is sanctioning Russia.
Alright, its possible but they don't generally fly at such high altitudes?

The military plane they shot down was coming in for landing so my example doesn't really apply, so my apologies. I would assume that military transports would fly equally as high as passenger planes (maybe a little lower to avoid collisions) to avoid the possibility of missile lock.

EDIT: I'm no pilot so I may be completely wrong in my assumptions.
(edited 9 years ago)
zaaa

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending