The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Novascope
But I didn't get my grant because my application ****ed up.

Did it **** up because you didn't give the right info or because you did and they calculated it to be lower?

You can always send in for a recalculation if you gave the wrong details and they'll reassess it.
I'm in the same boat! My application messed up, so in the post I only received my loan which is just a bit more than yours (I'm one of those less well off student too) But I didn't get my grant because my application ****ed up. I don't think I'll be getting a great deal of a grant if you haven't either, so I'm also worried about my finances, plus my rent is a lot more than yours...

I'm so confused because I thought student finance was supposed to really help! Speaking to current students and watching shows like The Secret Life Of Students show that these people have more money than they know what do with. So why are we basically going into uni broke? :frown:

LOL, this is what i mean. This is why i had to calculate and recalculate thinking surely I have done it wrong, because I was under the illusion that student finance gives you a little bit more than enough.

You should really call up student finance to sort out your grant. Why is it f***** up? What went wrong? Make sure you call and find out, better that than to be broke right?
Original post by Roving Fish
Did it **** up because you didn't give the right info or because you did and they calculated it to be lower?

You can always send in for a recalculation if you gave the wrong details and they'll reassess it.

We didn't give my father's exact income correctly, but did for my mother so that's why my application messed up and I had to send in all sorts of documents for him in order to get my grant as well as loan. My fault, but I'm still worried in case I don't get enough...

Original post by somethingunique
LOL, this is what i mean. This is why i had to calculate and recalculate thinking surely I have done it wrong, because I was under the illusion that student finance gives you a little bit more than enough.

You should really call up student finance to sort out your grant. Why is it f***** up? What went wrong? Make sure you call and find out, better that than to be broke right?

I messed up my father's income on the application, so they only sent me my loan and told me I'll get my grant once I send in some documents from my dad's workplace. That's currently pending at the moment. Once I get that I'll give them a call up to see if I can have everything recalculated :frown:
Reply 43
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Live in the real world. Deposits are usually 4-6 weeks rent.

No deposit @ Essex if you go for two year contract in Uni' square.
I had a £250 deposit and then have to pay the £800 rent for the first installment in August! :smile:
Original post by StayCee089
I had a £250 deposit and then have to pay the £800 rent for the first installment in August! :smile:

Can you believe I to pay 2k+ in September for my accommodation. I won't even have my student loan by then!
Can you believe I to pay 2k+ in September for my accommodation. I won't even have my student loan by then!

Dayum thats weird o-o why do you have to pay it all at once??
Original post by StayCee089
Dayum thats weird o-o why do you have to pay it all at once??

I have no idea. I'm waiting for an email back to explain everything. (I had to change accommodation so I assumed the only difference would be the price)
Reply 48
£36 pound is more than enough to live off each week. After my accommodation I only have £17 left for each week myself. Yes it sucks but the loan is only there to cover your basic needs: accommodation and food. I don't see how you'd be spending more than £36 pound on food a week so I really don't see the problem. Try doing an online shop at aldi https://www.aldi.co.uk/ and seeing how much it'll come too when buying a weeks supply of food. I've done exactly that and I can get everything I need for a week £15 pound :smile:
Original post by Chlomc
I don't see how you'd be spending more than £36 pound on food a week so I really don't see the problem.

It happens. My target, frequently missed, is £30. I work for supermarket so get discount too.
Reply 50
It happens. My target, frequently missed, is £30. I work for supermarket so get discount too.

Is your target a part of your leftover loan you've set aside for food or is £30 everything you have left after accommodation may I ask?

In my opinion anything over £20 is more than enough to get by on with the basic things. Just have to careful with what you're buying, which if you in the situation where not much loan is left over you have to be. Plan what you're going to buy by making a list, calculate how much each thing is and see it there's any cheaper alternatives or deals on, don't buy branded products, don't buy ready meals cos they're expensive and you'll be withing budget.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Chlomc
£36 pound is more than enough to live off each week. After my accommodation I only have £17 left for each week myself. Yes it sucks but the loan is only there to cover your basic needs: accommodation and food. I don't see how you'd be spending more than £36 pound on food a week so I really don't see the problem. Try doing an online shop at aldi https://www.aldi.co.uk/ and seeing how much it'll come too when buying a weeks supply of food. I've done exactly that and I can get everything I need for a week £15 pound :smile:

Do you have a job? How often do you buy new clothes? How do you get money for going out/social events/eating out/leisure actives (gym)? What about things for your course? I am genuinely intrigued. £17 sounds like a real struggle. Do your parents put some in?
Original post by Chlomc
Is your target a part of your leftover loan you've set aside for food or is £30 everything you have left after accommodation may I ask?

In my opinion anything over £20 is more than enough to get by on with the basic things. Just have to careful with what you're buying, which if you in the situation where not much loan is left over you have to be. Plan what you're going to buy by making a list, calculate how much each thing is and see it there's any cheaper alternatives or deals on, don't buy branded products, don't buy ready meals cos they're expensive and you'll be withing budget.

I work alongside uni and get £400 a month for doing three shifts a week. That pays my rent. So I'm then left with £7600 a year to spend on stuff other than rent.

So £100+ a week is my budget after rent is taken out, therefore I don't need to be picky. If it comes to it then I'm an exceptional budgeter.
If you guys are worried about not having your money for specific dates then just use your overdraft and when your money finally comes through it'll be normal.
Reply 54
Original post by somethingunique
Do you have a job? How often do you buy new clothes? How do you get money for going out/social events/eating out/leisure actives (gym)? What about things for your course? I am genuinely intrigued. £17 sounds like a real struggle. Do your parents put some in?

I have just over a grand in savings from a temp part time job I had earlier this year which I'll use to tide me over/cover some of the costs like bedding/books etc until I can hopefully find something where my university is.
I don't buy clothes that much really I tend to do mini hauls 2-3 times a year each £100.
I don't think loans should cover socializing or leisure activities anyway so i'll have to use my savings and find a job fast!
Tbh it will be but because my dad earns "a lot" so that's all I'm entitled to and I'll just have to find a way to manage :smile:
My parents are offering to pay for my laundry costs and whenever I go home will send me back with food parcels, but other than that unless I'm on the verge of starvation then that'll be it.
Reply 55
I work alongside uni and get £400 a month for doing three shifts a week. That pays my rent. So I'm then left with £7600 a year to spend on stuff other than rent.

So £100+ a week is my budget after rent is taken out, therefore I don't need to be picky. If it comes to it then I'm an exceptional budgeter.

Ahh that'll be why then. If you can afford to go over then I don't doubt it'd be easy to miss set targets. But if all you have is £36 like OP then there's not much choice, anyhow it's not an unrealistic food budget so I'm sure they'll be fine.
£30 is perfectly do-able.. I managed it for the whole of this year and last ! :smile:
£10 on food, £20 for whatever else I wanted.. which admittedly, was probably also food if I fancied being fancy and eating out for lunch with friends, aha.
Have you guys factored in books, travel, etc. in regards to the money you'll have left over?
I think a lot of people on this post have missed the point that the reason certain people are only getting e.g. £15 a week left over after accommodation is due to the fact that there household income comes under one of the higher brackets. When the people with larger loans have around the same left over it is worrying, as the people with smaller loans are expected (by the government) to receive financial support off of there household. Luckily, myself being someone from a very low household income, I qualify for many grants and bursaries and I think anyone from a low household income should be reassured by the amount of bursaries and grants there are off numerous sources. I am going to the university of leeds and there are sooooo many available, some are automatic and some you need to fill forms out. Be proactive! I have applied for everything possible and I mean everything. Good luck!

also people coming onto this website to make petty remarks and digs please grow up :smile:
More universities need to do more with bursaries. Students don't need scholarships as that £1k they take off won't affect students in the immediate future.

Latest

Trending

Trending