The Student Room Group

IB medicine applicants 2015

Hi there,
I'm in year 12 at the moment and am about to apply to medical school and just wonder if anyone has any advice? In particular, has anybody in the past applied to a med school and got an offer which was below the minimum entry requirements or did anybody miss their offer but get into medicine anyway? Which universities are people applying to this year and why?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey! I just finished year 12 and am planning on applying for Medicine.
I'm probably going for Oxford, UCL, Nottingham and St Andrews, as they're all unis I like the look of, have a range of entrance requirements, and I wanted to apply to 2 that use UKCAT and 2 that use BMAT. Where are you thinking of applying?
Reply 2
Original post by Neverme
I'm probably going for Oxford, UCL, Nottingham and St Andrews, as they're all unis I like the look of, have a range of entrance requirements, and I wanted to apply to 2 that use UKCAT and 2 that use BMAT. Where are you thinking of applying?

Wow you must have really good predicted grades! I'm thinking of applying to queen Mary (barts and the London), Cardiff, kings and then maybe Leicester. I was hoping I might find a uni with slightly lower requirements or a less popular one as an insurance choice but there doesn't seem to be any. Even UEA put their entry requirements up from 34 to 36 :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by littlejess
Wow you must have really good predicted grades! I'm thinking of applying to queen Mary (barts and the London), Cardiff, kings and then maybe Leicester. I was hoping I might find a uni with slightly lower requirements or a less popular one as an insurance choice but there doesn't seem to be any. Even UEA put their entry requirements up from 34 to 36 :frown:

What are you predicted and what subjects are you doing?
Reply 4
Original post by Neverme
What are you predicted and what subjects are you doing?

I haven't got my UCAS predictions yet but last term I was predicted 38 points and I'm hoping I will have improved upon that. I do HL: bio, chem, Spanish and SL: engl, maths and psychology plus EE, TOK and CAS. You?
Reply 5
Original post by littlejess
I haven't got my UCAS predictions yet but last term I was predicted 38 points and I'm hoping I will have improved upon that. I do HL: bio, chem, Spanish and SL: engl, maths and psychology plus EE, TOK and CAS. You?

At the moment I'm predicted 44 but that could change. I'm doing Bio, Chem, English HL and Maths, History and French B SL. You're predicted score is great you shouldn't be so worried!

Original post by ishysmile
Hey :smile: I am currently and IB student in Singapore - Currently I have a predicted of 44-45:

HL Biology - 7, HL Chemistry - 7, HL Math - 7, SL Economics - 7, SL Chinese 7, SL English Lang/Lit 6/7

I am also thinking of applying to 2 BMAT schools and 2 UKCAT schools but i'm still a bit hesitant due to the fierce competition.

I'm thinking of doing the same - 2 UKCAT and 2 BMAT. Have you decided which yet?
Original post by Neverme

Hi, which one do you think is best out of Oxford, UCL, Nottingham and St A ndrews
Original post by ishysmile
Hey :smile: I am currently and IB student in Singapore - Currently I have a predicted of 44-45:

HL Biology - 7, HL Chemistry - 7, HL Math - 7, SL Economics - 7, SL Chinese 7, SL English Lang/Lit 6/7

I am also thinking of applying to 2 BMAT schools and 2 UKCAT schools but i'm still a bit hesitant due to the fierce competition.

Babe, you can apply to any university in England you want with those predicted grades, you'll be fine.
Reply 8
Original post by GideonBoyegz
Hi, which one do you think is best out of Oxford, UCL, Nottingham and St A ndrews

To be honest I think they're all very good in terms of the medicine courses, teaching and facilities. Oxford and UCL are my top choices due to scientific emphasis, location, and my overall feel of the universities. I'd be thrilled to end up at Nottingham or St Andrews though, because both are excellent universities with great Medicine courses, so it's very hard to say which is best!
Reply 9
Hi, I'm applying for 2015 entry Medicine :smile:)
Just had a question.
When looking at regular Medicine entry requirements, they often talk about AS grades.
Would the equivalent for IB be our predicted grades? Or would they be our IB1 internal school end of year exams?
Thankss :smile:
And good luck to those planning to take the UKCAT!
I'm predicted 43 and (HL: Bio 7, chem 6, psy 7 SL: span 7, Maths 7, performance 6) and i'm applying to oxford, leciester, sheffield and nottingham and im kinda ****ed if I mess up UKCAT
Original post by zk11
Hi, I'm applying for 2015 entry Medicine :smile:)
Just had a question.
When looking at regular Medicine entry requirements, they often talk about AS grades.
Would the equivalent for IB be our predicted grades? Or would they be our IB1 internal school end of year exams?
Thankss :smile:
And good luck to those planning to take the UKCAT!

AS are often compared to standard so an A at AS is like a 6/7 SL
Hello people,

I was thinking of not to apply to Oxford, as the competition is fierce; however I don't want to miss out on the opportunity of going to Oxford.

So what do you guys think...should I apply with these predicteds (41 points out of 45).

HL Chem - 7
HL Bio - 7
HL Business - 7
SL French - 5
SL English - 6
SL Math - 6
Hey, i'm in year 11 and i'm conidering doing the IB and then going on to study medicine, so I was wondering what the course is like and if I should. Can i ask what's the differnce between UKCAT and BMAT?
Original post by Irukandji5
Hey, i'm in year 11 and i'm conidering doing the IB and then going on to study medicine, so I was wondering what the course is like and if I should. Can i ask what's the differnce between UKCAT and BMAT?

You should definitely do the IB in my opinion....it prepares you for the best and the worst!

As for medicine, it being a very academic program....the IB will help you in terms of time management, however if you procrastinate and end up underperforming, your marks will plummet....making it harder for you to get into Medicine at any Uni.

So my advice is, if you're confident that you can work hard, then you should do the IB.
Original post by Irukandji5

I would take A Levels if you want to get into Medicine. You already know what subjects you need to study (so there's no need to pick the IB to get a broad range of subjects) and A Levels are more straight forward, plus they will give you more free time to pursue the extra-curricular activities which are important on your Personal Statement.
The only really convincing reason to take IB is if you don't know what you want to apply for at Uni, and need to keep some options open. Otherwise A Levels are the sensible choice every time.
Original post by ainsworthadam97
Hello people,

I was thinking of not to apply to Oxford, as the competition is fierce; however I don't want to miss out on the opportunity of going to Oxford.

So what do you guys think...should I apply with these predicteds (41 points out of 45).

HL Chem - 7
HL Bio - 7
HL Business - 7
SL French - 5
SL English - 6
SL Math - 6

The competition is fierce for all medical schools! With those grades, you should definitely give it a go :smile: If you don't try, you'll never know whether you might have got in or not...
Original post by Neverme
The competition is fierce for all medical schools! With those grades, you should definitely give it a go :smile: If you don't try, you'll never know whether you might have got in or not...

Yeah....I mean we have 5 options...so I might as well use Oxford as one!
Thanks for the advice.
Original post by ainsworthadam97
Yeah....I mean we have 5 options...so I might as well use Oxford as one!
Thanks for the advice.

Well you have 4 options for Medicine plus one other option which has to be something else.
Original post by seaholme
Well you have 4 options for Medicine plus one other option which has to be something else.

I'm an international applicant.....I thought I had 5 choices for any Uni in the UK.

Am I missing something here?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending