The Student Room Group

Is an individual who is three quarter black and one quarter white mixed race

So I'm a middle class teenager who is three quartres black and a quarter

My mother is half white and half black, her father is black and her mother is white (British). My father is black (African) I don't really know him and so I'm much more tied to my mothers side.

I don't associate with black British as I dislike their style and don't consider myself black. I also live in a middle-class area and so there aren't many blacks of whom I can associate with anyway. I feel that I fit in with white people better.

My skin colour is sort of average black, so obviously I look quite black. However my hair isn't as coarse as the average black British African and it is wavy/ straight when short ( sort of Asian) and so I am able to apply hair products which black people don't use; such as matt clay, texture gum and styling gel.

I personally consider myself white as I believe if you white in you then you're white. Why not? Some people who are quarter black consider themselves as black.. My grandmother is an original white English person, so I feel quite white and English.

I know that the actual category for me would be mixed race in all honesty and i can accept that. I'm interested to know if people consider an individual who is three quarter black as black or mixed.

Scroll to see replies

I think the issue is, what makes you afraid to identify as black? Obviously, I would say you're mixed race and its clear that you're proportionally "more" black. Yet you seem hesitant to acknowledge that and instead point out features that distinguish you from being black.

Is the issue that you are ashamed to acknowledge who you are? Why is it more important to point out you're a quarter white rather than accept being three quarters black?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You are mixed race, however you are more black.
You're just as much white as black, however white people will class you as being black regardless of what you may say one drop rule.
Original post by Anonymous

My mother is half white and half black, her father is black and her mother is white (British). My father is black (African) I don't really know him and so I'm much more tied to my mothers side.

I don't associate with black British as I dislike their style and don't consider myself black. I also live in a middle-class area and so there aren't many blacks of whom I can associate with anyway. I feel that I fit in with white people better.

My skin colour is sort of average black, so obviously I look quite black. However my hair isn't as coarse as the average black British African and it is wavy/ straight when short ( sort of Asian) and so I am able to apply hair products which black people don't use; such as matt clay, texture gum and styling gel.

I personally consider myself white as I believe if you white in you then you're white. Why not? Some people who are quarter black consider themselves as black.. My grandmother is an original white English person, so I feel quite white and English.

I know that the actual category for me would be mixed race in all honesty and i can accept that. I'm interested to know if people consider an individual who is three quarter black as black or mixed.

alYou're not black. You have to be be full black to be black. As in both of your parents need to be four quarters black. You're therefore mixed white British with black British, although since you probably have more black features people will ignorantly assume you're black.

I think the problem with you is that you realise that it is easier to be white British in this country at the moment. The equality act is currently a very thin-line and so full white people or people who look four quarters white will obviously face less discrimination and stereotypes because of the colour of our skin.

But at the end of the day, you are technically mixed race and at-least you're middle-class so you are doing better than those obnoxious working class/ underclass
white people who live in council houses... So if you want to consider yourself as white and it makes you happier then why not? Life is about making yourself happy, people will obviously laugh at you but why should that matter?
So what I've gathered from this is that you're extremely good at generalising.

'I don't associate with black British as I dislike their style and don't consider myself black. I also live in a middle-class area and so there aren't many blacks of whom I can associate with anyway. I feel that I fit in with white people better.'

As a black British person, I find this rather offensive. Firstly, what 'style'? There's a whole spectrum of black people- you cannot just group them all under one 'style'.
Secondly, you're implying that black British people don't live in middle-class areas. A lot do, actually. I live in Oxford, which is about as middle-class as you can get.

'I personally consider myself white as I believe if you white in you then you're white.'

I could easily claim the same thing. I was born in England, raised in England and the only language I and my parents speak is English. However, I don't because it's clearly incorrect. White is not a race, it's a skin colour. Your skin is not white, so you are not white. You are black/mixed race or whatever you want to call it. In the eyes of most white people, you are black. I think a better think to say would be 'I don't consider myself to be African'/'I consider myself to be English'.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by thechemistress
So what I've gathered from this is that you're extremely good at generalising.

'I don't associate with black British as I dislike their style and don't consider myself black. I also live in a middle-class area and so there aren't many blacks of whom I can associate with anyway. I feel that I fit in with white people better.'

As a black British person, I find this rather offensive. Firstly, what 'style'? There's a whole spectrum of black people- you cannot just group them all under one 'style'.
Secondly, you're implying that black British people don't live in middle-class areas. A lot do, actually. I live in Oxford, which is about as middle-class as you can get.

'I personally consider myself white as I believe if you white in you then you're white.'

I could easily claim the same thing. I was born in England, raised in England and the only language I and my parents speak is English. However, I don't because it's clearly incorrect. White is not a race, it's a skin colour. Your skin is not white, so you are not white. You are black/mixed race or whatever you want to call it. In the eyes of most white people, you are black. I think a better think to say would be 'I don't consider myself to be African'/'I consider myself to be English'.

Yes I am mixed-raced English and you're black English, there's a difference; which is that I am not 'black' and you are.

That's absolutely ridiculous, that's like calling someone who is a quarter black and three quarters white a white individual. Yes they may be wrongly considered white and yes they can consider themselves as white but they aren't. That person would in fact be mixed race. If you have white in you or black in you, you can as an individual consider yourself as a black person or a white person but society should consider you as a mixed raced individual. Even so, some white people look slightly Arabic, but they're still white. So you can relate to a quarter cast who looks black but is in fact quarter cast (but falls in the mixed race category) anybody who isn't full black, full white or full brown (Asian, Arab etc) is categorised as mixed race.

I think its insulting and ignorant to call a mixed-race person black, even if they like being called black because they aren't black they are mixed-race. It would be overwhelming insane and asinine to call a mixed-race person african, my grandmother is an original white English; I have actual white relatives therefore I am not African. If you call me African, then you may as well call me English lol. But I see what you mean, it's rude to call a black English person African if they were born in England.

I wouldn't mind being called quarter cast, I am very proud to have white in me.

There's nothing wrong with bring black and living in England, you just experience a bit of prejudice right? A bit like how mixed-race people can.
Reply 8
I think you can call yourself white as an individual if you really want to but you're actual classification would be mixed-raced. Society will call you black as you probably look more black than someone who is half and half?
Reply 9
Original post by Aeuronautics
alYou're not black. You have to be be full black to be black. As in both of your parents need to be four quarters black. You're therefore mixed white British with black British, although since you probably have more black features people will ignorantly assume you're black.

I think the problem with you is that you realise that it is easier to be white British in this country at the moment. The equality act is currently a very thin-line and so full white people or people who look four quarters white will obviously face less discrimination and stereotypes because of the colour of our skin.

But at the end of the day, you are technically mixed race and at-least you're middle-class so you are doing better than those obnoxious working class/ underclass
white people who live in council houses... So if you want to consider yourself as white and it makes you happier then why not? Life is about making yourself happy, people will obviously laugh at you but why should that matter?

Exactly. I am not black, i am mixed race. Mixed race people do not belong to a single race, so it's wrong to say a mixed race person falls in to a single race.

However, I feel that a mixed race person has the right to refer to themselves as a single race if they wish to do so. But society should refer to them as mixed race.

You are slightly right, black British people do get discriminated a lot in the UK. I shouldn't be part of this discrimination as i am not black, although i am mixed race and mixed race people (whom have white in them) as obviously you can be mixed race- black and Asian British, do also get discriminated despite the fact they actually have white British in them and they have relatives of whom are actually white British.

Some mixed race individuals who are three quarters white and a quarter black and who look very white call themselves black , so on that logic i can call myself white. But at the end of the day, I don't like being called black because i am not black. It isn't just the fact that i dislike the general black british culture and the overall black cultures, it's mainly the fact that i am not actually black but mixed race. If i was black, then I would be black, it wouldn't matter that i hated the black culture, I would still be black. Same goes if I was white, or if i was asian/arab (brown) mixed race, whatever. It's the same principal.
Yes I am mixed-raced English and you're black English, there's a difference; which is that I am not 'black' and you are.

That's absolutely ridiculous, that's like calling someone who is a quarter black and three quarters white a white individual. Yes they may be wrongly considered white and yes they can consider themselves as white but they aren't. That person would in fact be mixed race. If you have white in you or black in you, you can as an individual consider yourself as a black person or a white person but society should consider you as a mixed raced individual. Even so, some white people look slightly Arabic, but they're still white. So you can relate to a quarter cast who looks black but is in fact quarter cast (but falls in the mixed race category) anybody who isn't full black, full white or full brown (Asian, Arab etc) is categorised as mixed race.

I think its insulting and ignorant to call a mixed-race person black, even if they like being called black because they aren't black they are mixed-race. It would be overwhelming insane and asinine to call a mixed-race person african, my grandmother is an original white English; I have actual white relatives therefore I am not African. If you call me African, then you may as well call me English lol. But I see what you mean, it's rude to call a black English person African if they were born in England.

I wouldn't mind being called quarter cast, I am very proud to have white in me.

There's nothing wrong with bring black and living in England, you just experience a bit of prejudice right? A bit like how mixed-race people can.

I'm not sure if you read my post properly. I said 'You are black/mixed race or whatever you want to call it'. You're mixed race, there you go. My issue was with you claiming that you're white, which you are not at all.

Honestly, I understand where you're coming from. You don't want to be associated with some of the negative stereotypes that black people have.

Unfortunately, to the majority of white people, you will be considered to be black. Even Obama is called black when he's clearly mixed race.
(edited 8 years ago)
Exactly. I am not black, i am mixed race. Mixed race people do not belong to a single race, so it's wrong to say a mixed race person falls in to a single race.

However, I feel that a mixed race person has the right to refer to themselves as a single race if they wish to do so. But society should refer to them as mixed race.

You are slightly right, black British people do get discriminated a lot in the UK. I shouldn't be part of this discrimination as i am not black, although i am mixed race and mixed race people (whom have white in them) as obviously you can be mixed race- black and Asian British, do also get discriminated despite the fact they actually have white British in them and they have relatives of whom are actually white British.

Some mixed race individuals who are three quarters white and a quarter black and who look very white call themselves black , so on that logic i can call myself white. But at the end of the day, I don't like being called black because i am not black. It isn't just the fact that i dislike the general black british culture and the overall black cultures, it's mainly the fact that i am not actually black but mixed race. If i was black, then I would be black, it wouldn't matter that i hated the black culture, I would still be black. Same goes if I was white, or if i was asian/arab (brown) mixed race, whatever. It's the same principal.

Whilst I agree with your points, your constant referral to the 'black British culture' is extremely offensive. It doesn't exist. Or if it does, I clearly don't fit in with it because I've never noticed its existence. How can you hate something that is nonexistent? Mind describing this culture that you hate so much?
Who cares? Don't identify yourself as anything and live life the way you want to.
Reply 13

Maybe its because you don't really know your dad? If you grew up with your light skinned mother and was accustomed to being with the white members of your family? Obviously I don't know you personally so i'm just assuming, but i'm mixed race in the same way as you but my dad was around so I grew up with both black and white people. What you consider yourself
is fully up to you, but yeah technically you come under mixed race.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Whilst I agree with your points, your constant referral to the 'black British culture' is extremely offensive. It doesn't exist. Or if it does, I clearly don't fit in withdrawal it because I've never noticed its existence. How can you hate something that is nonexistent? Mind describing this culture that you hate so much?

Last time you classed me as mixed race/black. Thank you for recognising that I am not black but in fact mixed race. All I want is for people to accept that I'm mixed race.

There's nothing wrong with me believing that I am white, I am partially white so why not?. It's similar to calling myself black in my opinion. To me I am white but to others I should be classed as mixed-race. So yes I am mixed-race but to me I am white, that's just my personal preference which is partially due to the fact that i am sometimes wrongly reffered to as black, which i am not. I have no problem with accepting that I am mixed race. I just have a problem with being misidentified as black.

By black British culture I meant listening to reggae, African music, jazz ( from black people) rnb (mainly from black artists) hip hop, rap, grime. Watching BET and other entertainment that predominantly features black people. I'm aware that a lot of black British people of African origin attend evangelical churches.

Although rap originated from african-americans, I believe some of it migrated to jamaica.

Going to a hairdresser who is black ( people often use the term black-barber) where a majority if the customers are black immigrants or black-british. Using products designed for the hair of Africans.

Eating food of origin (carribean or African food) Talking in African or carribean dialect.

This is obviously a diverse culture

Obviously not every black-english family or individual follows parts of the culture. Some follow the white English culture, some follow both to an extent and I suppose you could say some don't really follow any culture. I would think quite a few middle-class and upper-middle class black British individuals don't associate themselves with this and perhaps follow some of the white British traditions.

There are of-course the stereotypes, specific clothing etc, this however falls under the working class 'chav' category, which is partially the desire to replicate a 'yardie' or some sort of Jamaican gangster.

To my knowledge clothing of black people generally varies by social class as with most other races in the UK. Obviously there is a lower percentage of middle class black British individuals.... Although some middle class black British people go for the 'black gangster' look, as do some white British ( a low percentage though).

I don't see how it's that offensive, white British people have a culture, not every white British person follows it, as do Asian, Arabs and so forth. I was indeed making a generalisation, I just don't really associate with black, Asian or Arab people, I don't wish too and that's that. I don't really have much against black people (it's just some of the general lifestyles which I find annoying) I do however have hatred towards a certain religion, which I'm not going to mention as it's quite irrelevant.

I live in quite an affluent area which is predominantly inhabited by white British people, with a few mixed race people, quite a few British-Asian people and no black- British individuals.

Imagine what it feels like to be called something that you're not by other people. I think it's ok for an individual call themselves something which they technically aren't, however it isn't ok for other people to call them something they aren't. It is to an extent if the individual is happy with what they have been reffered to as but isn't true. On the census, I would put down mixed-race as that is what I am.

The bottom line is, yes I am not white but I am also not black... I am mixed race and this is the problem people seem to have.
Whilst I agree with your points, your constant referral to the 'black British culture' is extremely offensive. It doesn't exist. Or if it does, I clearly don't fit in with it because I've never noticed its existence. How can you hate something that is nonexistent? Mind describing this culture that you hate so much?

He's probably referring to the black badman or black swagger nonsense or maybe the original African style like the food, hairstyle, going to special African churches and whatnot?

Maybe he means stuff that you get at carnivals, traditional afrocaribean music, food, clothes and the patwa if that's what you guys call it
Original post by PaulHugh
Maybe he means stuff that you get at carnivals, traditional afrocaribean music, food, clothes and the patwa if that's what you guys call it

Erm. That's not black culture. That's Caribbean culture. As I said 'black culture' doesn't exist.
I always follow one rule when it comes to race. It is none other than to be what is convenient. Myself, my father is English (White) + Indian while my mother is pure Chinese (or so she claims) from Singapore. It is quite difficult to pinpoint what race I am if you haven't been told so. When asked what race I am I always say "mongrel and proud" or when confronted with a racist I always tell that person shame on them they only have 1 as I have 3. The other thing I do is when someone says I'm White then I just say White it is, if they say Chinese then Chinese it is as I generally don't make a big deal about what race I am. The reality of it? It doesn't really make a scant bit of difference.

My own kids, their mother is Swedish (though she herself is not pure Swedish as her mother is Norwegian) I have long since told them they don't need to choose one but it is important to not reject any. My younger boy who is now 8 on the other hand things are a bit different for him as the school keeps telling him he is Norwegian as his grandmother is originally from Norway and he lives in Norway. I always tell him if he is happy to be so then there is no problem.

When you say black-british culture or black culture do you mean the African culture and the carribean culture? Or do you mean the stereotype which is that black people must listen to rap, hip hop, rnb and act and dress in a certain way, which is normally 'chavy' or 'swag' as people say. Or do you mean a mixture of both?.

I normally refer to the last point I made with social class and social groups as it were, since there are Asian and white people who also go for the 'swag hip hop look' or the obnoxious under-classed chav look. Quite a few intelligent middle-classed people from a wide range of ethinic backgrounds go for a much more sophisticated look as do i. I am a white british person but this is what i have observed in west london. So I'm a bit curious as to what you mean.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending