The Student Room Group

I just graduated with a media and cultural studies degree, AMA

If anyone wants to study something similar or something (yes I know it's tsr but just in case there's someone here who might do it ) and wants to know more about the course.

Edit:

Some background

- I went to University of the Arts London (anyone interested or have a question about UAL and specifically LCC I'll try to answer)

-Got a 2:1

-Considering variety of things to do next

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

OP, pepper your angus
Reply 2
Original post by tehforum
OP, pepper your angus

Thank you, come again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I could learn that **** on the internet in half an hour
Reply 4
Hopefully no one is interested

Posted from TSR Mobile
What did your course involve? :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by bertstare
I could learn that **** on the internet in half an hour

Go and do it. Then tell me what you've found out.

Original post by RedArrow
Hopefully no one is interested

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, come again

Original post by SassQueen13
What did your course involve? :smile:

I've spent the first two years in a different uni. First year was basically introduction to how media works and basic theories around. Second year was basically the same but we had modules for animation, screenwriting, philosophy and politics, etc.

When I transferred to another uni, the course changed slightly (from media studies to media and cultural studies) I had to repeat my second year (uni won't allow final year transfer) and it included stuff about photography (theories as well as practical) advertising and marketing, more general media theories, a tourism sort of module where we study a country and then the media within that country and a module called work based learning. The last bit was interesting as we needed to do a compulsory internship for at least a month then write a report on it or a mini dissertation.

Third year was pretty the same except instead of internship we had dissertation research and workshop after workshop on it and networking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7

congratulations on graduating. :top:
What would you like to progress on to doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9

Why did you decide to transfer and are you glad you did.

what grade did you achieve?

what are your future plans?
Reply 10
How long do you reckon it'll take for you to get a job in that relevant field?
Original post by Wee.Guy
congratulations on graduating. :top:

Thank you!

Original post by kpofsuburbia
What would you like to progress on to doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ideally I'd like to work on TV and movie production but since that barely pays anything at the start (or have much jobs available) I'd like to progress on something like accountancy.

Original post by Wee.Guy
Why did you decide to transfer and are you glad you did.

what grade did you achieve?

what are your future plans?

We moved to England from Wales so had to transfer out of necessity. In a way I was glad. I was struggling previously and would probably have failed if I stayed.

I got a 2.1

At the moment I'm applying for jobs in variety of field and looking into a masters. If at some point I get lucky then I hope I can be in production.

Original post by cdude
How long do you reckon it'll take for you to get a job in that relevant field?

Honestly a while, if at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12

are you still planning on posting on TSR?

do you like white chocolate?
Original post by Wee.Guy
are you still planning on posting on TSR?

do you like white chocolate?

Yes. I'm too addicted to leave :tongue:

Nah. I prefer dark chocolate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you couldn't have studied media and cultural studies, what would you have chosen? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Is this one of those joke TSR titles? That's like the softest degree. An OAP with an erectile dysfunction problem is probably harder.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Changing Skies
If you couldn't have studied media and cultural studies, what would you have chosen? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was going to do ancient history and archaeology but changed my mind after I got my A levels

Original post by Jam'
Is this one of those joke TSR titles? That's like the softest degree an OAP with an erectile dysfunction problem is probably harder.

Thank you, come again

Posted from TSR Mobile
Having got 4 qualifications in media (GCSE, AS Level, BTEC & CertHe), is your perception of any type of media ruined forever more? I cannot enjoy any piece of TV or film without ripping it to ****.

Was your course more practical or theoretical? During my CertHe (I left the course) I learnt a lot of interesting theory but I really wanted to go into print media so left the course went to a different uni to study Graphic Design where I am right now.
Original post by Roving Fish
Having got 4 qualifications in media (GCSE, AS Level, BTEC & CertHe), is your perception of any type of media ruined forever more? I cannot enjoy any piece of TV or film without ripping it to ****.

Was your course more practical or theoretical? During my CertHe (I left the course) I learnt a lot of interesting theory but I really wanted to go into print media so left the course went to a different uni to study Graphic Design where I am right now.

Yes definitely. I can't read or watch anything without analysing it. Even worse just after finishing my dissertation.

It was more theoretical but we had some practical like the photography module and the module where a (preferably media related) internship was a requirement.

Can I ask which uni did you transfer to? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by donutaud15
Go and do it. Then tell me what you've found out.

Thank you, come again

I've spent the first two years in a different uni. First year was basically introduction to how media works and basic theories around. Second year was basically the same but we had modules for animation, screenwriting, philosophy and politics, etc.

When I transferred to another uni, the course changed slightly (from media studies to media and cultural studies) I had to repeat my second year (uni won't allow final year transfer) and it included stuff about photography (theories as well as practical) advertising and marketing, more general media theories, a tourism sort of module where we study a country and then the media within that country and a module called work based learning. The last bit was interesting as we needed to do a compulsory internship for at least a month then write a report on it or a mini dissertation.

Third year was pretty the same except instead of internship we had dissertation research and workshop after workshop on it and networking.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not to be rude but that sounds pretty repetitive and not intensive at all. Did you find it tough?

Quick Reply

Latest