The Student Room Group

Queen Mary or York for history?

Deciding on which uni to firm and it's difficult to say the least.

Does York have a much better reputation for its history course or are they pretty much the same?

And yes, that's not the most important thing but I'd like to know.
Original post by kaizzu
Deciding on which uni to firm and it's difficult to say the least.

Does York have a much better reputation for its history course or are they pretty much the same?

And yes, that's not the most important thing but I'd like to know.

If you look at the rankings they are much the same. I think it all comes down to whether you want to live in the big city down south or a large town up north. Both are equally attractive in their own ways. York is a lot cheaper though.

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?o=Academic+Services+Spend&s=History
Reply 2
Original post by squeakysquirrel
If you look at the rankings they are much the same. I think it all comes down to whether you want to live in the big city down south or a large town up north. Both are equally attractive in their own ways. York is a lot cheaper though.

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?o=Academic+Services+Spend&s=History

And then according to the Guardian Queen Mary is 10th and York 17th.. it's hard to believe these rankings because they differ so much.

Campus accommodation at York isn't actually cheaper than at Queen Mary, but this late I don't think I'd be able to get campus accommodation at Queen Mary, which is a big negative.

I'd prefer to live in London, but I think there would be more of a 'university feel' at York, and York generally seems to be a more respected uni. It's hard to decide :/
Original post by kaizzu
And then according to the Guardian Queen Mary is 10th and York 17th.. it's hard to believe these rankings because they differ so much.

Campus accommodation at York isn't actually cheaper than at Queen Mary, but this late I don't think I'd be able to get campus accommodation at Queen Mary, which is a big negative.

I'd prefer to live in London, but I think there would be more of a 'university feel' at York, and York generally seems to be a more respected uni. It's hard to decide :/

Is there much difference course content wise that would make you want to choose one over the other?
Reply 4
Need to make a decision today and still pretty much 55 - 45 :eek:

Anyone got any advice?

Is York regarded better than Queen Mary or are they pretty much the same?
As a whole, I think York is slightly more respected but they're both very good universities. Personally I'd go for York, but that's because I prefer the location :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kaizzu
Need to make a decision today and still pretty much 55 - 45 :eek:

Anyone got any advice?

Is York regarded better than Queen Mary or are they pretty much the same?

Have you compared the modules? Visited the campuses?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I went with YORK, hope I made the right choice :smile:
Original post by kaizzu
I went with YORK, hope I made the right choice :smile:

I'm sure you did! I'd apply there if they offered my course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending