The Student Room Group

Can men read women's magazine?

Is it socially acceptable for men to read magazines such as Vogue, Elle, Cosmo,etc... ?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I've never seen it happen tbh. I've also never seen women read Nuts or Zoo.
My gf buys them all the time for Bath time so I read them sometimes.

Mainly I just lol at the stupid fitness advice in them. I skip all the fashion crap.
Socially acceptable?!

Of COURSE you can read it. Everyone has different personal interests, and they should be respected.
Original post by Wilsoncw1997
Is it socially acceptable for men to read magazines such as Vogue, Elle, Cosmo,etc... ?

I mean you can there's nothing stopping you but it would look a little strange because of the stereotypes. Honestly there isn't very interesting stuff in them anyway. :dontknow:

Why would you want to read women's magazines anyway?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Goodness knows why you'd want to read them (it's all a load of drivel - how to lose 50lbs in half a second, sex tips that'll drive your partner wild, aha :lol:), but I don't see why not. In fact, some of the magazines I have read, my boyfriend has gone on to read after me 'for the lulz'.
As a woman, I find them incredibly dull and disinteresting.

Doesn't mean you will though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by karmacrunch
I mean you can there's nothing stopping you but it would look a little strange because of the stereotypes. Honestly there isn't very interesting stuff in them anyway. :dontknow:

Why would you want to read women's magazines anyway?

Posted from TSR Mobile

1. There's amazing cloths that I would never see when walking down a stree.

2. God like models.

3. The fashion goodness.
Original post by Fanticipation
Socially acceptable?!

Of COURSE you can read it. Everyone has different personal interests, and they should be respected.

Well because when I buy Italian/French vogue in a store (can't order them). The cashier would every time have awkward freeze when I pay for it.
Original post by Freudian Slip
Goodness knows why you'd want to read them (it's all a load of drivel - how to lose 50lbs in half a second, sex tips that'll drive your partner wild, aha :lol:), but I don't see why not. In fact, some of the magazines I have read, my boyfriend has gone on to read after me 'for the lulz'.

What you are describing is like Cosmo. I read them in stores while I wait for ppl as they are hilarious as hell to read.
I read Stylist and I've seen other men do the same on the tube.

Of course, I skip the fashion sections and go straight to the columns. :smile:
Reply 11
Perfectly normal yeah lol. Gossip mags are amusing.
Well because when I buy Italian/French vogue in a store (can't order them). The cashier would every time have awkward freeze when I pay for it.

Honestly, don't worry about that. They always freeze whenever I purchase an 18-rated game or alcohol. It takes a good minute for them to scrutinize my ID, but I'm used to it now :smile:
i read them to understand women

sharpen my manipulation skills
I love a good womens magazine, there's always a good selection in the staff room at work. Not the celebrity ones, but the sort with stories like "My boyfriend's cousin's ghost did a wee in my wedding bouquet and now I'm pregnant'. Fantastic.
Original post by russellsteapot
I love a good womens magazine, there's always a good selection in the staff room at work. Not the celebrity ones, but the sort with stories like "My boyfriend's cousin's ghost did a wee in my wedding bouquet and now I'm pregnant'. Fantastic.

PRSOM, unfortunately!

Those magazines are a guilty pleasure of mine, usually for the titles alone! In fact, the one sitting on the desk beside me has the blaring headline: 'KILLER BREAKFAST: MY CEREAL ALMOST KILLED ME'.

Beware, there could be a cereal killer on the loose. :getmecoat:

I flick through Cosmo at the hairdressers. It never occurred to me that this could ever be perceived as "socially unacceptable".
Original post by rickfloss
i read them to understand women

sharpen my manipulation skills

:rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You still haven't refund the hug you gave me.
You still haven't refund the hug you gave me.

By now I think that you should have realised that you are never going to get your money back... :colone:

:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest