The Student Room Group

Alopecia aereata.. Would you worry about the future or think positively?

Say you had been diagnosed with an hairloss condition (alopecia aereata) where the immune system attacks hair follicles randomly leaving bald patches, it's very unpredictable and you could just get a few bald patches which grow back or you could go totally bald at some point in life. how would you think about it? I mean would you give up on yourself/trying to look attractive or would you see it as no big deal? Would you think positively and assume that you probably won't end up bald or would you assume the worse?
Original post by civilstudent
Say you had been diagnosed with an hairloss condition (alopecia aereata) where the immune system attacks hair follicles randomly leaving bald patches, it's very unpredictable and you could just get a few bald patches which grow back or you could go totally bald at some point in life. how would you think about it? I mean would you give up on yourself/trying to look attractive or would you see it as no big deal? Would you think positively and assume that you probably won't end up bald or would you assume the worse?

As of yesterday, I have just shaven my head to a pixie style due to a hairloss condition- this being Androgenetic Aloepecia (general thinning on the top of the crown). I haven't been diagnosed with the condition, and have just cancelled my doctors appointment as A) I was fairly certain I had the condition because of the style of thinning and the fact that all my siblings have suffered with thinning after turning 18 and B) because I really didn't see what could be done after I would've been diagnosed with it. I know self diagnosing is quite a tetchy subject, but in this case I was fairly certain that I had this condition. My diet is fine, I have quite a balanced diet, so I knew it wasn't a deficiency. And I also knew that it wasn't due to infertility and hormonal problems (PCOS and Iron deficiency).
I've shaven my head quite early and uniqely, as most people in this situation- from looking around the internet- sought other alternatives before hitting the razer. I didn't feel comfortable with the altenatives and well, I really didn't want to keep the wispy pieces of hair I had left: I made that clear from the start.

So although Alopecia Areata is quite different from general thinning- a lot of unpredictability and stress which incidentally doesn't help the regrowth of your hair- I would 100% just tell you to look positively towards your future. Work with the unpredictable nature as in a couple of years time your hair (if it has started to fall out) could completely grow again- stanger things have happened :smile:.

I know it's awful, I completely emphathize with you. I had to shut out all the voices of conventionalism and trying to "Look like everybody else" and just go with how I felt and that was I didn't want to hold sacredly onto something that was innevitable. So now my plans are to have shorter hair- to blend most of the thinning- and to wear headscarves. I love how it looks, and am so pleased I made the decision. I really do wish you well, and hope your find comfort and happiness in whatever your appearance will be. :biggrin::wink:

A sidenote: Having shorter hair, I found, is quite liberating. You can't rely on your hair to finish your appearance, so your every feature is accentuated. :smile: Sorry for such a long post; I was adamant on replying!
Original post by Amy. J S
As of yesterday, I have just shaven my head to a pixie style due to a hairloss condition- this being Androgenetic Aloepecia (general thinning on the top of the crown). I haven't been diagnosed with the condition, and have just cancelled my doctors appointment as A) I was fairly certain I had the condition because of the style of thinning and the fact that all my siblings have suffered with thinning after turning 18 and B) because I really didn't see what could be done after I would've been diagnosed with it. I know self diagnosing is quite a tetchy subject, but in this case I was fairly certain that I had this condition. My diet is fine, I have quite a balanced diet, so I knew it wasn't a deficiency. And I also knew that it wasn't due to infertility and hormonal problems (PCOS and Iron deficiency).
I've shaven my head quite early and uniqely, as most people in this situation- from looking around the internet- sought other alternatives before hitting the razer. I didn't feel comfortable with the altenatives and well, I really didn't want to keep the wispy pieces of hair I had left: I made that clear from the start.

So although Alopecia Areata is quite different from general thinning- a lot of unpredictability and stress which incidentally doesn't help the regrowth of your hair- I would 100% just tell you to look positively towards your future. Work with the unpredictable nature as in a couple of years time your hair (if it has started to fall out) could completely grow again- stanger things have happened :smile:.

I know it's awful, I completely emphathize with you. I had to shut out all the voices of conventionalism and trying to "Look like everybody else" and just go with how I felt and that was I didn't want to hold sacredly onto something that was innevitable. So now my plans are to have shorter hair- to blend most of the thinning- and to wear headscarves. I love how it looks, and am so pleased I made the decision. I really do wish you well, and hope your find comfort and happiness in whatever your appearance will be. :biggrin::wink:

A sidenote: Having shorter hair, I found, is quite liberating. You can't rely on your hair to finish your appearance, so your every feature is accentuated. :smile: Sorry for such a long post; I was adamant on replying!

Thanks. At the moment it's only a patch which seems to be expanding but it is also growing back at the same time :/ It's just the unpredictability of it that's annoying I was going to grow my hair but now I'm thinking what's the point, I used to have short hair and people say I look better with longer but I guess I will have to just go with the flow. Yea I was thinking about your hairloss and although you are probably right about what it is I wondered have you had a blood test? As you can get thyroid imbalances which can cause it too but yea if all your family had it it could just be genetic. I would have a blood test just to make sure though.
Original post by civilstudent
Thanks. At the moment it's only a patch which seems to be expanding but it is also growing back at the same time :/ It's just the unpredictability of it that's annoying I was going to grow my hair but now I'm thinking what's the point, I used to have short hair and people say I look better with longer but I guess I will have to just go with the flow. Yea I was thinking about your hairloss and although you are probably right about what it is I wondered have you had a blood test? As you can get thyroid imbalances which can cause it too but yea if all your family had it it could just be genetic. I would have a blood test just to make sure though.

Exactly. I had been told also by some that I looked better with long, although I've always thought I looked better with shorter hair. Guess you just have to go with how you're feeling- blocking out all those varying voices.
I decided that I'd play it by ear at the moment, and maybe I'll need to take a visit to the doctors in the future. Although now, I'd say I'm pretty comfortable where I am and my health feels secure enough. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending