The Student Room Group

Maths Uni Chat

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Smash50
Warwick, and I just finished first year :biggrin:

You looking forward to starting second year?

I visited Warwick a couple of months ago - I only went to the castle though.
Original post by rayquaza17
You looking forward to starting second year?

I visited Warwick a couple of months ago - I only went to the castle though.

Yeah, can't wait till second year! Warwick is beautiful :biggrin:

Are you doing any interesting maths over the summer? :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Smash50
Yeah, can't wait till second year! Warwick is beautiful :biggrin:

Are you doing any interesting maths over the summer? :smile:

The castle definitely is, but I haven't seen any other parts of Warwick.

Surely all maths is interesting!

I'm looking through 'a concise introduction to pure mathematics' at the moment, you?

I'm looking through 'a concise introduction to pure mathematics' at the moment, you?

Pure? Please, it's all about applied :ahee:
Original post by Slowbro93
Pure? Please, it's all about applied :ahee:

I prefer applied, but I haven't found any applied books that are as easy to get into and follow as this one is!

Nothing really :tongue:
Is there a PDF version of that book online?
Original post by Smash50
Nothing really :tongue:
Is there a PDF version of that book online?

I don't know, I got it from the library at uni. :colondollar:

I have a question for people on here: do you study in the library, or do you study in some sort of 'reading room'? We have a reading room at my uni that my friends and I go in most days (when we are uni), but there is only enough room for like 30 students, so I wonder where all of the rest of maths students go to..?
I don't know, I got it from the library at uni. :colondollar:

I have a question for people on here: do you study in the library, or do you study in some sort of 'reading room'? We have a reading room at my uni that my friends and I go in most days (when we are uni), but there is only enough room for like 30 students, so I wonder where all of the rest of maths students go to..?

I just study in my room, or in the maths undergrad workroom with a few friends :smile:
Reply 7908
Original post by Smash50
I just study in my room, or in the maths undergrad workroom with a few friends :smile:
How is that even possible, that place is a nightmare, always packed full of people talking and stuff. The game in my year at least has always been to walk around until you find an empty supervision area
Original post by Gantal
How is that even possible, that place is a nightmare, always packed full of people talking and stuff. The game in my year at least has always been to walk around until you find an empty supervision area

Well we tend to go there after 9pm-ish, and it is always completely empty, or maybe a couple of people are there. You're not going to find any space one hour before a deadline, for example.
Original post by Gantal

It depends on the kind of environment you're looking for. Personally, I work best either somewhere totally quiet or where there are loads of people talking. I can't work well if there's just one person talking and I can hear their entire conversation.

For quiet/empty areas, one option is to head to the Westwood campus where around the education department there are various buildings with spaces to work dotted around.
Who else gets annoyed when textbooks only have answers to odd-numbered questions? :frown:
Who else gets annoyed when textbooks only have answers to odd-numbered questions? :frown:

I have never used text books in uni - but when a module has no printed notes, and no solutions to any assignment questions that's what I hate.
Original post by TheIrrational
I have never used text books in uni - but when a module has no printed notes, and no solutions to any assignment questions that's what I hate.

No solutions to assignment questions?? That's so harsh.

My unis policy is that we have to get solutions to assignments!

Well you have a very generous uni - we only get solutions to some modules, but they are getting better at releasing them. Very very few past paper solutions too..
Well you have a very generous uni - we only get solutions to some modules, but they are getting better at releasing them. Very very few past paper solutions too..

We are only guaranteed for lecturers to go through the last past paper in class, it's up to them if they want to release/go through any more papers.

Do you have problem classes where you go through examples similar to assignment questions?
We are only guaranteed for lecturers to go through the last past paper in class, it's up to them if they want to release/go through any more papers.

Do you have problem classes where you go through examples similar to assignment questions?

Yeah we do for most modules, but i've never been to one... They're pretty boring.

I think it depends on how much support there is in the form of tutorials/supervisions. I know some universities literally just release the solutions to problem sheets and that's the extent of the support whereas, at Oxford/Cambridge, we generally don't get the solutions to any problem sheets but obviously we have tutorials on them. Most universities lie somewhere in-between, but personally I don't find releasing the solutions to problem sheets being very helpful in getting to grips with problem areas
Original post by Noble.
I think it depends on how much support there is in the form of tutorials/supervisions. I know some universities literally just release the solutions to problem sheets and that's the extent of the support whereas, at Oxford/Cambridge, we generally don't get the solutions to any problem sheets but obviously we have tutorials on them. Most universities lie somewhere in-between, but personally I don't find releasing the solutions to problem sheets being very helpful in getting to grips with problem areas

I'm at Warwick, and you're right, we are in-between. We get some solutions and there are supervisions and support classes where you can ask for some solutions to be talked through, which is good.
I'm at Warwick, and you're right, we are in-between. We get some solutions and there are supervisions and support classes where you can ask for some solutions to be talked through, which is good.

I've just completed first year at warwick, and we never got given any solutions. Maybe it's different for second years.

Quick Reply

Latest