The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Peggles_*
You will be playing Remy, I highly doubt he wants to be sitting the the bench for you lot. He's BPL experienced and has a decent return. There is no guarantee Markovic will hit the ground running. Expect a bedding in period in which Remy will take his place.

No but the point is, it looks that way. We never wanted Giroud to be a direct replacement for RVP, but he was dead-set on going so Grioud ultimately became his replacement. If you somehow sign Benzema or Reus or all these other players you have deluded yourself into getting then it won't look as bad, but if you don't, as fair as everyone other than you lot will be concerned, Remy would have been Bitey's replacement.

Remy has been knocking about for what about 5 years? He's at least been on English clubs radar for that long I'd say, starting with Spurs when twitchy was there. If we wanted him, we would have him. With all of this talk from GeoffArsenal and Gibbs' agent I think we are after a striker and given the circumstances, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Cavani. Especially considering Arsene has a good working relationship with those at PSG.

Posted from TSR Mobile

433 is almost certainly going to be the favoured formation. Remy ain't starting over Sturridge.

Rodgers may use the diamond again which could include Remy, but even so he won't be 'leading the line'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You will be playing Remy, I highly doubt he wants to be sitting the the bench for you lot. He's BPL experienced and has a decent return. There is no guarantee Markovic will hit the ground running. Expect a bedding in period in which Remy will take his place.

No but the point is, it looks that way. We never wanted Giroud to be a direct replacement for RVP, but he was dead-set on going so Grioud ultimately became his replacement. If you somehow sign Benzema or Reus or all these other players you have deluded yourself into getting then it won't look as bad, but if you don't, as fair as everyone other than you lot will be concerned, Remy would have been Bitey's replacement.

Remy has been knocking about for what about 5 years? He's at least been on English clubs radar for that long I'd say, starting with Spurs when twitchy was there. If we wanted him, we would have him. With all of this talk from GeoffArsenal and Gibbs' agent I think we are after a striker and given the circumstances, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Cavani. Especially considering Arsene has a good working relationship with those at PSG.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If Wenger wanted a good striker there were some available, I'm inclined to think that unless he drives a hard bargain he's not going to buy a top striker, which makes me wonder why he didn't go for Mandzukic?

Liverpool may play 4-3-3 as said before but they'll probably play the diamond, which means that they'll still be in for a top class forward to compliment Sturridge unless he trusts Loic Remy enough to be the main man. I reckon Markovic will be a hit from the get go.

You're not getting Cavani.
Starting XI: Szczesny, Jenkinson, Ajayi, Hayden, Monreal, Ramsey, Coquelin, Zelalem, Willock, Toral, Sanogo

Subs: Martinez, Bellerin, Gibbs, Miquel, Rosicky, Pleguezuelo, Akpom, Olsson, Flamini, Diaby

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Giroud at the top of his game, i.e. first half of 2013/14 or at times at the WC is actually a very good striker. Arsenal's strength is obviously the midfield/AMs and so when his link up is on point he compensates for his deficiencies. Wouldnt fancy Rickie Lambert to do the same.

In all honesty, I think Theo Walcott is actually capable of doing what Sturridge does as a striker.

Granted, giroud is decent on form.
But as a striker at a top club you simply cannot perform for only half of a season.
When giroud isn't on form, he is utter garbage; that's the problem.

Lambert is good at holding up play and laying it off to wingers either side (I.e: what could be good for Liverpool)
He can also concert chances when presented
He may not be fast, but he is accurate.

The issue is that whilst Walcott may be a good finisher, he gets injured too damn much.
You couldn't rely on him to get through a season as your striker - wenger needs to not skimp out and just buy one.
Reply 1204
Starting XI: Szczesny, Jenkinson, Ajayi, Hayden, Monreal, Ramsey, Coquelin, Zelalem, Willock, Toral, Sanogo

Subs: Martinez, Bellerin, Gibbs, Miquel, Rosicky, Pleguezuelo, Akpom, Olsson, Flamini, Diaby

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hopefully Diaby gets subbed on and also looking forward to Sanogo play

(srs)
Reply 1205
Original post by Luke_Mckeown
Granted, giroud is decent on form.
But as a striker at a top club you simply cannot perform for only half of a season.
When giroud isn't on form, he is utter garbage; that's the problem.

Lambert is good at holding up play and laying it off to wingers either side (I.e: what could be good for Liverpool)
He can also concert chances when presented
He may not be fast, but he is accurate.

The issue is that whilst Walcott may be a good finisher, he gets injured too damn much.
You couldn't rely on him to get through a season as your striker - wenger needs to not skimp out and just buy one.

Lambert receives too much praise and has never proven him self at the top level so we should wait and see what he does for Liverpool first if anything

Posted from TSR Mobile

We won't be playing him initially; we will play 4-3-3 because that works best for us.
If Markovic doesn't deliver, maybe Remy will come in, but he will at no point be starting ahead of Sturridge.

True, but the transfer season is far from over.
Rodgers ain't stupid - he knows what he wants and he isn't afraid to spend for it.

Bag, no delusion with benzema or Reus
Very few LFC fans on here are convincing themselves we'll get one of them (very unlikely)
That isn't our style
We grow our players rather than buy big, however in this instance I would consider deviating just the once - we need an instant Suarez replacement (30m+), not just a 10m player with potential

If you got cavani, I would be seriously scared.
It's unlikely, but it you managed it somehow, you would have a shout of winning the league for sure.
Original post by AR_95
Lambert receives too much praise and has never proven him self at the top level so we should wait and see what he does for Liverpool first if anything

Maybe he does, but he also gets too much stick.

He has been decent for Southampton and has shown his ability to adapt to different levels, be it through the English leagues or on the international stage.

Maybe he'll fail at Liverpool but you can't tell me that it wasn't worth the risk at 4m

Eh? Last season he was injured from a freak bad tackle whereas in the 3 seasons before that he played pretty much every game. He's not injury prone by any stretch of the imagination.
Original post by Zürich
Eh? Last season he was injured from a freak bad tackle whereas in the 3 seasons before that he played pretty much every game. He's not injury prone by any stretch of the imagination.

meh, maybe he's just unlucky.
in any case, walcott serves you so much better out wide behind the striker then he would do at the top.

he wouldn't be able to hold up the ball as a lone striker very well; he isn't weak but he wouldn't have the physicality to deal with a few defenders marking him
he is so much better using his ridiculous pace to make runs and receiving through balls for a nice finish
meh, maybe he's just unlucky.
in any case, walcott serves you so much better out wide behind the striker then he would do at the top.

he wouldn't be able to hold up the ball as a lone striker very well; he isn't weak but he wouldn't have the physicality to deal with a few defenders marking him
he is so much better using his ridiculous pace to make runs and receiving through balls for a nice finish

I think the only reoccurring injury Theo has had has been his shoulder that he dislocated a couple seasons ago. Think it was 2010/11.

Theo is pretty much pace and then confusion. All teams need to do is sit deep and he will have no room.

Theo through the middle against Spurs in the cup worked well because Sherwood had them playing virtually on the halfway line and Theo had all the space he needed. Against more tactically astute managers and teams he will find it difficult. He does now when teams do that tbf.

I'd prefer not to have Theo as our ST who plays on the shoulder of the defence because that pretty much turns us into what we had with Wrighty under Graham.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think the only reoccurring injury Theo has had has been his shoulder that he dislocated a couple seasons ago. Think it was 2010/11.

Theo is pretty much pace and then confusion. All teams need to do is sit deep and he will have no room.

Theo through the middle against Spurs in the cup worked well because Sherwood had them playing virtually on the halfway line and Theo had all the space he needed. Against more tactically astute managers and teams he will find it difficult. He does now when teams do that tbf.

I'd prefer not to have Theo as our ST who plays on the shoulder of the defence because that pretty much turns us into what we had with Wrighty under Graham.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thats fair enough then - maybe with a better medical team, you'll be better with injuries next season.
how many games will walcott miss at the start of next season?

definitely - he needs room to run in behind

tbh, spurs last season was an absolute banker match.
no offence to sherwood, but he didn't have a bloody clue; almost as if he gave up.
against us the second match, he didn't even stand on the touchline...

exactly - theo is not a striker, but he can finish like one.
that is the big difference between him and sterling right now imo.
GQ is the next welsh becks

i am not sure wether that was our captain GQ or becks in disguise in the first half with that beard and haircut.
We're making Boreham Wood look like a bunch of amateurs.
Reply 1215
Original post by Thugnificent.
GQ is the next welsh becks

i am not sure wether that was our captain GQ or becks in disguise in the first half with that beard and haircut.

What does GQ even mean
Original post by AR_95
What does GQ even mean

lol It stands for Gentlemen's Quarterly it's basically a Men's fashion magazine
Original post by Endless Blue
Remy wont be leading the line lol.

Our second striker is as good as your first choice :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

uwotm8?

Giroud >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Remy
Original post by jam278
If Wenger wanted a good striker there were some available, I'm inclined to think that unless he drives a hard bargain he's not going to buy a top striker, which makes me wonder why he didn't go for Mandzukic?

Liverpool may play 4-3-3 as said before but they'll probably play the diamond, which means that they'll still be in for a top class forward to compliment Sturridge unless he trusts Loic Remy enough to be the main man. I reckon Markovic will be a hit from the get go.

You're not getting Cavani.

what does mandzukic have that giroud doesn't have?
Original post by Basiji
what does mandzukic have that giroud doesn't have?

-Aggression
-Unbelievable off the ball pressing and general work rate
-Big game mentality
-1V1 finishing

Personally think £17m for Mandzukic is one of the bargains of the summer

Latest