The Student Room Group

Ask a soon-to-be third year anything!

About student life and uni in general. I've been through it all so shoot :smile:

Scroll to see replies

What advice would you give to a fresher?
Original post by SecretDuck
What advice would you give to a fresher?

I'd give a few nuggets of advice.

1). If you're disappointed with the freshers week events, you can get together with other people and make your own events. It's something I did in Goldsmith's and I loved it :smile:

2). You're not likely to make friends for life at freshers, so don't worry if it doesn't work out at that week.

3). Halls are a bit hit and miss. You're likely to be stuck with people who don't respect your space or be very noisy. Best to get a flat and advertise in the SU that you're looking to flat share.

4). If you go into halls or flat share, please for the love of God set up rules and plaster them all over the walls in all the rooms. People can forget to do one minor thing and it could turn into an argument quite quickly.
Also, do you believe life gets worse after uni?
Also, do you believe life gets worse after uni?

Hello, no! Actually, I think my work life would be the best time of my life. At least I will be able to freely travel and learn things which are actually applicable in the real world :fyi:
Original post by JulietheCat
Hello, no! Actually, I think my work life would be the best time of my life. At least I will be able to freely travel and learn things which are actually applicable in the real world :fyi:

I agree about the learning - no more Harrod Domar model with its million assumptions :yep:
I agree about the learning - no more Harrod Domar model with its million assumptions :yep:

I agree :redface:
Do you get along fine with your flatmates?
Original post by SophieIsTheBest!
Do you get along fine with your flatmates?

Yeah, we all get along just fine :smile:
I'd give a few nuggets of advice.

4). If you go into halls or flat share, please for the love of God set up rules and plaster them all over the walls in all the rooms. People can forget to do one minor thing and it could turn into an argument quite quickly.

How would you go about doing this, or bringing up this conversation about rules? I don't wanna seem like the "nagging mum" in the first week of meeting basically strangers :wink:
Original post by harriet95
How would you go about doing this, or bringing up this conversation about rules? I don't wanna seem like the "nagging mum" in the first week of meeting basically strangers :wink:

I got together everyone and we established a physical list of rules for the house. It was simple to ask for everybody's attention and tell them that I don't want us to fight anymore.

That was when we already knew each other for a few months, though.
Is it hard managing university life with the added extra of being a cat?
Original post by rayquaza17
Is it hard managing university life with the added extra of being a cat?

Cats cause allergies in halls, so yes :cry2:
During your previous did you ever get to the point where you thought "I can't do this anymore".. If so how did you overcome it?

Or have you generally enjoyed your time and course
Reply 14

your obsessed with Harrod Domar model. :biggrin:
Reply 15

WHat kind of work are you planning on doing after uni?
Reply 16

How many lectures did you skive last year?
Original post by Wee.Guy
your obsessed with Harrod Domar model. :biggrin:

Yeah, it's up there with the Heck**** Olin Model. Completely avoiding macro like the plague. I enjoy reading about the economy, but none of the lecturers even made it remotely interesting IMO.
Original post by UniSonnCome
During your previous did you ever get to the point where you thought "I can't do this anymore".. If so how did you overcome it?

Or have you generally enjoyed your time and course

I did, and I transferred from QMUL to Goldsmith's as I didn't like the social life or the course. I just left it until the end of first year to do it unfortunately.

At my new uni, I'm enjoying it and made friends quite easily. At my previous uni, I was all alone and bored.

Original post by Wee.Guy
WHat kind of work are you planning on doing after uni?

Maybe a music teacher or IB.

Original post by Wee.Guy
How many lectures did you skive last year?

None :smile:
How does it feel knowing that your university experience is coming to an end.

Quick Reply

Latest