The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aeuronautics
When you say black-british culture or black culture do you mean the African culture and the carribean culture? Or do you mean the stereotype which is that black people must listen to rap, hip hop, rnb and act and dress in a certain way, which is normally 'chavy' or 'swag' as people say. Or do you mean a mixture of both?.

I normally refer to the last point I made with social class and social groups as it were, since there are Asian and white people who also go for the 'swag hip hop look' or the obnoxious under-classed chav look. Quite a few intelligent middle-classed people from a wide range of ethinic backgrounds go for a much more sophisticated look as do i. I am a white british person but this is what i have observed in west london. So I'm a bit curious as to what you mean.

You could argue that stupid working class and some middle class Asian and white people copied this black hip-hop swag to fit in or to look cool
Original post by Aeuronautics
When you say black-british culture or black culture do you mean the African culture and the carribean culture? Or do you mean the stereotype which is that black people must listen to rap, hip hop, rnb and act and dress in a certain way, which is normally 'chavy' or 'swag' as people say. Or do you mean a mixture of both?.

I normally refer to the last point I made with social class and social groups as it were, since there are Asian and white people who also go for the 'swag hip hop look' or the obnoxious under-classed chav look. Quite a few intelligent middle-classed people from a wide range of ethinic backgrounds go for a much more sophisticated look as do i. I am a white british person but this is what i have observed in west london. So I'm a bit curious as to what you mean.

That's because other ethnic groups copied the way the less intelligent black people in the UK dressed, a few decided to copy the way unintelligent black Americans dress like for example jay-z, rihanna, dr-dre etc
Reply 22
You're mixed-race but leaning towards black. I don't know why you're so reluctant to explore your other race, not all black people have a certain style.
Original post by Anonymous
You could argue that stupid working class and some middle class Asian and white people copied this black hip-hop swag to fit in or to look cool

I clearly wasn't asking for your opinion you inadequate being
Reply 24
Mixed race is mixed race. Whether that's half, quarters, eighths, etc.

It's silly to call yourself white if your skin is black... and it also implies that you consider it preferable to be white, which is not the case. White people will see you as black anyway, and black people will be offended that you deny your heritage.

Also people shouldn't be using the term "quarter caste" as it is offensive! Those that choose to use it should first educate themselves of it's meaning and spelling..!
Original post by Bobbi!
Mixed race is mixed race. Whether that's half, quarters, eighths, etc.

It's silly to call yourself white if your skin is black... and it also implies that you consider it preferable to be white, which is not the case. White people will see you as black anyway, and black people will be offended that you deny your heritage.

Also people shouldn't be using the term "quarter caste" as it is offensive! Those that choose to use it should first educate themselves of it's meaning and spelling..!

Why should black people be offended, I'm not actually black. I wouldn't be offended if a black person said they weren't mixed race.

I'm denying my heritage, I am mixed race and so my heritage is of England (origin white english and of Black African. I have accepted this and therefore have accepted that I am mixed-race and I have stated this numerous times. Since I am a quarter white English I call myself white English although I am actually mixed-race. I have embraced both of my heritages. The problem I have is people calling me black as I am not black and that is a fact. I am not black and you cannot deny something that you aren't.

OK quarter-caste, yes it is offensive but I would rather be called that than to be called black as I really am not black. You wouldn't call an british Asian person black, so why call a british- mixed (white and black) person black?.
Reply 26
Why should black people be offended, I'm not actually black. I wouldn't be offended if a black person said they weren't mixed race.

I'm denying my heritage, I am mixed race and so my heritage is of England (origin white english and of Black African. I have accepted this and therefore have accepted that I am mixed-race and I have stated this numerous times. Since I am a quarter white English I call myself white English although I am actually mixed-race. I have embraced both of my heritages. The problem I have is people calling me black as I am not black and that is a fact. I am not black and you cannot deny something that you aren't.

OK quarter-caste, yes it is offensive but I would rather be called that than to be called black as I really am not black. You wouldn't call an british Asian person black, so why call a british- mixed (white and black) person black?.

Well you're not white, you're mixed heritage, so it'd be incorrect to call yourself white. Same as it would be incorrect call yourself black... but as you're 3/4 black it would be more correct to call yourself black than white, but you don't have to call yourself black as mixed heritage is an option.

It'd be offensive to a black person to call yourself white as that's saying that you believe it's better to be white than black- why else would you call yourself white when your skin is black?

You won't even talk to the average person that sees you about your heritage, so it is not wrong of them to see you as black, and many would describe asians as black as they are purely describing what they see. But it doesn't matter anyway what colour the person is, or where they come from- a person is still a person, we're all worth the same. However if I was to decribe someone I'd use what makes them look different- e.g. if I say "the black guy that works in the co-op" the other people who go in the co-op will know I'm talking about the perhaps 1/4 black and 3/4 white guy as the other people who work in the co-op are all (to my eyes) 100% white.

There is no problem with calling yourself mixed (as that's what you are)- but if you call yourself white, then people are just going to say "you're black not white". It's like if I said I have blonde hair, people will just say "no you don't..." If you don't like being called black, don't call yourself white.

What does your mother think about you calling yourself white??
Reply 27
You're mixed but tbh I think everyone (including me) would call you black. Three of your grandparents are black and yet you would consider yourself white?
Reply 28
LMAO that you consider yourself white. White people are probably laughing at you :rofl: The self-hate is real.
Original post by Tai Ga
LMAO that you consider yourself white. White people are probably laughing at you :rofl: The self-hate is real.

It isn't self hate. I'm not black, so how is it self-hate? I didn't say that I hated or disliked mixed race people. What on earth do you mean?
Reply 30
It isn't self hate. I'm not black, so how is it self-hate? I didn't say that I hated or disliked mixed race people. What on earth do you mean?

It really is. And It's sad really :lol: You're trying so hard to deny your black side. You dislike black british culture (wtf does that even entail? There's no such thing). Come on just say it. You're ashamed of the black inside you, which ironically makes up the vast majority of you. Yea you're mixed, but to the vast majority of the world you're black. If you call yourself white people will probably just laugh at you. You're more black then you are white and you're just gonna live with that. There's probably fully black people that appear more white than you do lmao, if you claim to have the complexion of the average black man. Continue to hate yourself. I won't loose sleep over it :lol:
Original post by Bobbi!
Well you're not white, you're mixed heritage, so it'd be incorrect to call yourself white. Same as it would be incorrect call yourself black... but as you're 3/4 black it would be more correct to call yourself black than white, but you don't have to call yourself black as mixed heritage is an option.

It'd be offensive to a black person to call yourself white as that's saying that you believe it's better to be white than black- why else would you call yourself white when your skin is black?

You won't even talk to the average person that sees you about your heritage, so it is not wrong of them to see you as black, and many would describe asians as black as they are purely describing what they see. But it doesn't matter anyway what colour the person is, or where they come from- a person is still a person, we're all worth the same. However if I was to decribe someone I'd use what makes them look different- e.g. if I say "the black guy that works in the co-op" the other people who go in the co-op will know I'm talking about the perhaps 1/4 black and 3/4 white guy as the other people who work in the co-op are all (to my eyes) 100% white.

There is no problem with calling yourself mixed (as that's what you are)- but if you call yourself white, then people are just going to say "you're black not white". It's like if I said I have blonde hair, people will just say "no you don't..." If you don't like being called black, don't call yourself white.

What does your mother think about you calling yourself white??

I don't really care if black people would be offended, I'm not black I am mixed race so people should just accept that. Why can't people accept that I am

I can understand if a white person missidentified a mixed race person as black if they actually looked black is complexion, what I can't understand is how a white person or anyone even, can misidentify a mixed race person who actually doesn't look fully black or white (especially in complexion) as black. That's just offensive and ignorant. However if a mixed race person who may look sort of black, proves that they aren't black then they should accepted as mixed race and not black.

It's insanely naive to call a mixed race person who blatonly looks mixed race and not black a black individual.

But the bottom line is I am mixed race as I am not actually black, I'm quarter white so if someone is given the correct information about me, they should accept me as mixed race. If I was given information about a mixed race person who had quite 'black' complexion I would accept that they are mixed-race. I am OK with people who have never seen me before misidentifying me as black, I have a problem with people who know me and know full-well that I am mixed race yet still call me black. This is where the issue lies.

My mother is fine with me calling myself white English, I'm quite strange and eccentric so my mother has to come acustomed to such things. We both know that we are mixed race and that we aren't black and shouldn't be considered black nor should we be considered white. I am fine with being mixed race and being called mixed-race. I would tell a white person that I am mixed-race, no problem. The notion that I am white is really between me, my mother and my white family members. When I go out, I don't wear a label saying I'm white I just say I am mixed-race which I am. I am mixed race and have mixed heritage, there you go...
Original post by Tai Ga

Original post by Tai Ga
It really is. And It's sad really :lol: You're trying so hard to deny your black side. You dislike black british culture (wtf does that even entail? There's no such thing). Come on just say it. You're ashamed of the black inside you, which ironically makes up the vast majority of you. Yea you're mixed, but to the vast majority of the world you're black. If you call yourself white people will probably just laugh at you. You're more black then you are white and you're just gonna live with that. There's probably fully black people that appear more white than you do lmao, if you claim to have the complexion of the average black man. Continue to hate yourself. I won't loose sleep over it :lol:

Yes, perfect way to put it :tongue:
She's so full of self-hate, it's unreal
Original post by uekp6956

You mean caste?

Also calling someone half caste or quarter caste is a fairly derogatory thing to say.
You cant call yourself white cos you're not but but you can't call yourself black cos you aren't black. It's OK to be mixed-raced atleast you're not black and you're more English than a black person. You'll just have to live with the fact that you're partially black but don't forget you're a little white as well. Oh and isn't mixed-race the fastest growing race in the UK so black people will dissapear at some point as for some reason a lot of black men like white women sexually and quite a few black women like white me.?
Reply 35

You're not white either! Deal with it!
Original post by Tai Ga

But I'm not black and I am not white, I am mixed race right? So people should really call me mixed-race, wouldn't that be correct?
Original post by Ndella
You're not white either! Deal with it!

That is correct, I am mixed-race. I didn't say I was white. You can call yourself something that you're not and know full-well that you aren't.

I have dealt with the fact that I am not white or black and that I am mixed-race. There is nothing wrong in being mixed-race, i'm pretty sure I haven't said that.
Reply 38
But I'm not black and I am not white, I am mixed race right? So people should really call me mixed-race, wouldn't that be correct?

No one's denying that. What's an issue is you identifying as white when you're not and completely generalising the race which frankly makes up the most of you. You'd have no qualms if someone called you white. Heck, you embrace it. The minute someone sees you as a black man you get offended. If that doesn't highlight a deep rooted issue I don't know what does. If you're so hell bent on being seen as "mixed race" and supposedly have no self-hate issues, you should be offended being referred to as white as well.
Reply 39
That is correct, I am mixed-race. I didn't say I was white. You can call yourself something that you're not and know full-well that you aren't.

I have dealt with the fact that I am not white or black and that I am mixed-race. There is nothing wrong in being mixed-race, i'm pretty sure I haven't said that.

But your posts have consistently implied that you're not proud of your black side. Personally, I find it laughable that you called yourself white British when visually this isn't the case. Well as long as you now know your origins, it's fine I guess.

Latest

Trending

Trending