The Student Room Group

Most overrated food??

Scroll to see replies

Curry... In any shape or form.....
Original post by Motorbiker
Do you not have any moral barriers eating this food knowing the cruel way which the animal is kept while it is alive?

Personally, it doesn't bother me. But you can get ethical foie gras as well, where the birds are raised in much nicer conditions. One of the nicest starters I've ever been served was a foie gras parfait, so it's definitely worth experimenting.
Reply 102
Pizza. I just think it tastes cheap and I'm not a big fan of it :colone:
I'm gonna dare to say it...steak. I hate steak. Even when they're cooked "the right way" they still seem tough and chewy to me. And why are some of them bleeding?! That's not normal!

But I'm probably biased, because I'm also not a fan of roast beef.
Reply 104
Bacon I would concur with as it isn't really filling or tasty enough in my view. I'm also not a fan of mushrooms or pepperoni. I can't stand mayonnaise when it's not mixed into something else (i.e. tuna). Oh, and I have a real dislike for scotch eggs too.
Original post by tory88
Personally, it doesn't bother me. But you can get ethical foie gras as well, where the birds are raised in much nicer conditions. One of the nicest starters I've ever been served was a foie gras parfait, so it's definitely worth experimenting.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1543031/Ethical-foie-gras-from-naturally-greedy-geese.html

Never knew about ethical foie gras, Thanks. Still, it's even more expensive, £16 for 70grams. I'd rather take like 200grams of normal pate for £1. :tongue:
Bacon - probably the most overrated
Steak - just whatever really
Lobster - crab is better
Beer - don't drink much anyway, but beer doesn't taste all that good
dont you dare say chicken....its the tastiest meat out there...
Bacon is pretty overrated. I like it but I'm pretty fussy and won't eat it if it's too crispy or salty. I prefer sausage anyway.

Steak is another one. Again I enjoy it but I would chose chicken or grilled fish over it.
I agree with people saying Nandos... Had it once, was OK but not great. Also don't understand the sheer popularity of battered cod... It's OK, but I find it really dry.

Mystifed by all the people saying bacon... :eek:
(edited 9 years ago)
Oysters; caviar; scallops; salad cream; tomato ketchup; pot noodles ( there you go I have covered all the social classes)
overated: NANDOS

underated: moule a la creme avec frite...... mussles in cream with french fries nomnomnomnomnomnom
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Oysters; caviar; scallops; salad cream; tomato ketchup; pot noodles ( there you go I have covered all the social classes)

:laugh:
Reply 113
also saying oreos, they are ok but there are loads of better biscuits

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yo radical one
Bacon - probably the most overrated
Steak - just whatever really
Lobster - crab is better
Beer - don't drink much anyway, but beer doesn't taste all that good

No, no, no.
Any sort of pizza made by big chain 'pizzerias' i.e. dominoes, papa johns, pizza hut.

Protein shakes. Not so much taste wise because everyone hates the taste but people overemphasise their importance. Protein is important, shakes aren't, get your diet in check and you won't even need shakes.
Pot noodles (when it comes to university food discussion)
Original post by syrettd
I'm gonna dare to say it...steak. I hate steak. Even when they're cooked "the right way" they still seem tough and chewy to me. And why are some of them bleeding?! That's not normal!

But I'm probably biased, because I'm also not a fan of roast beef.

If they still seem tough and chewy then the beef hasn't been cooked properly and/or you're using the wrong cut. A well cooked steak should be able to be cut with a butter knife with ease and it shouldn't be chewy at all.

Also it's not bleeding, the meat will have been completely drained of all blood when it was slaughtered. The red stuff is just water/juice from the meat that has a lot of myoglobin in it.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Somebody will say Nando's so I'm getting there first.

Pasta - So many different variations of the same thing. Italian food in general really, there is only so many times you can combine pasta, tomatoes, beef and cheese yet these lot think they're God's gift to culinary art.

Chinese - Specifically Chinese food aimed at westerners. Stinks and is drowning in sauce, presumably to mask the poor quality of the ingredients. I'm also dubious about the hygiene standards. Dirty as **** imo.

TBF the 'italian' food we get in this country is not really italia food at all. Most italian restaurants in the UK sell the same old generic food/dishes which aren't even italian. They are british adaptations of the original italian recipe. In fact pasta in italy isn't even used as a main course. They eat a lot of it, but it is merely part of italian cuisine, it doesn't define or even make up a large percentage of italian cuisine.

Same goes with chinese food in the uk. It isn't actually chinese food it's westernised chinese food.
Original post by heavenlyphoto
overated: NANDOS

underated: moule a la creme avec frite...... mussles in cream with french fries nomnomnomnomnomnom

Underrated foods.

Now there's a good idea for a thread... You know what to do... Click this link and go make it.

also, if you're talking about moules in white wine and cream suace with onions etc then that's AWESOME, Best served with a nice crispy bageuette imo. Moules Mariniere anyone?

Quick Reply

Latest