The Student Room Group

Which graduates are most likely to make 50k+ in their careers?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alevelzzz
You can send your child to an independent schools relatively easily on 60k, thats upper middle class.

Please can you tell me of such a school? Most of the schools I've looked at have been £10k/term (boarding) or about £4k/term for day schooling. I imagine you'd need a little more than £60k household income to send a child to such a school, particularly if they're not an only child. Even Fyling Hall is £2k-£3k/term for day schooling. When my parents were considering sending me to a local private school (as I was being bullied for being perceived as well off, to the point where I was chased home every day for 5 years by the same group of four degenerates lobbing stones at me), it would have worked out as £35k over two years.

With regards to OP, going from the advice of several connections, do a degree that you really enjoy, make friends at university and network. If you're very set on going into something specific like medicine, then you will obviously need a degree in medicine. I was actually speaking to a CEO who is a very good friend of Dad's, and he said that his accountancy firm actually prefers graduates with an arts degree over those with a scientific degree. It was interesting that he said that, but I'm still not entirely sure if he merely said that because I will be reading a degree in History and French. Other than that, keep your options open and make opportunities happen.
Original post by PandaWho
i dont know many people wwho have gone to uni purely for the money when they graduate.

even my brother, who could have done so many academic subjects at uni, and as some say hed be "upper middle class" because of his school life when hes not, but no he chose to study sociology and criminology because he wants to work in rehab to HELP people.

But at the same time, how many people go to university because they want to go into this field or that field BECAUSE it pays well and they require the degree to do so. I want to go into finance because I'm used to living a middle class lifestyle and it is probably one of my better bets, beyond that, the Mathematics degree I should be getting plays to my strengths and keeps open plenty of doors open which I could go through to maintain the lifestyle to which I have become accustomed, and I know I'm not the only one.
i dont know many people wwho have gone to uni purely for the money when they graduate.

even my brother, who could have done so many academic subjects at uni, and as some say hed be "upper middle class" because of his school life when hes not, but no he chose to study sociology and criminology because he wants to work in rehab to HELP people.

If you come from old money and have a sweet inheritance, it is understandable why you are not concerned by money. If not... Well, in my eyes, money brings you pretty much everything (and believe me, I CANNOT tolerate not having money... Call me shallow or close-minded, but everything I have thought of IS the case, so it's all an actuality and shouldn't thus be deemed to be me over-thinking or being narrow-minded).

Money (for me at least) would bring you a longer life, a better quality of life, better girls, more girls, parties, more friends, better, more cultured and understanding friends, more possessions, better houses, better cars, more travelling, less pain, more confidence, more uniqueness and asserted prestige, less envy, less inability, less embarrassment, fewer feelings of being 'pathetic', the ability for you to mingle about with better gene pools, you not having to worry about going to that nice restaurant, or you being able to actually go into something more than a ****ty high-street shop and buy something... AND A MORE EXTENSIVE LIFE, in general.

Look, the only thing that puts a smile to my face is the thought of being upper-middle class, and having, I don't know, £80k-£85k+. In London, you're nothing if you as a household bring around £2500 a month (after tax). That's me, right now. I need £4000+ a month after tax, on MY OWN income, to be happy. I haven't even factored in the wifey's income, and I most certainly hope she herself brings in at the very least £40k a year.
(edited 9 years ago)

I'd say that the majority of my friends are going for improved job prospects. Being passionate about one's subject is pretty important as it increases the chance of a good degree at the end as well as meaning that you'll be happier and likely make good friends/contacts as a result. :smile:
ETA: My Mum went to uni and ultimately became a speech and language therapist because she wanted to help people. She came from a family of philanthropic doctors, so I imagine that probably inspired her decision.
My brother went to uni because he wanted to pursue his passion for design and computery technological ish. He's doing very well for himself and loves his quite well-paid job. He also never had an overdraft throughout uni despite living in London, although a lot of that is due to his epilepsy meaning free transport and no alcohol.
My sister wanted to continue with French and she now lives and works in France, having moved up higher in her travel company.
Dad had no idea what he wanted to do, he went into teaching then his career path changed and he's now a CEO/management consultant I believe.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jammy Duel
But at the same time, how many people go to university because they want to go into this field or that field BECAUSE it pays well and they require the degree to do so. I want to go into finance because I'm used to living a middle class lifestyle and it is probably one of my better bets, beyond that, the Mathematics degree I should be getting plays to my strengths and keeps open plenty of doors open which I could go through to maintain the lifestyle to which I have become accustomed, and I know I'm not the only one.

i think were going to have to agree to disagree, because personally i would rather be absolutely skint and know that i am improving the lives of young people, and giving them options i never had, than be in a boring office style job with a decent wage.
dont get me wrong having money is nice, hell i at 17 i was earning £70 a week, and could bring in over £100 a week during school holidays with over time, with no bills or anything so it was mine, but i had no social life because of my working hours.
Original post by BlackMagicV
I'd say that the majority of my friends are going for improved job prospects. Being passionate about one's subject is pretty important as it increases the chance of a good degree at the end as well as meaning that you'll be happier and likely make good friends/contacts as a result. :smile:

all i know is im not in uni fr job prospects, like i said the government are kindly cutting jobs and services in my area faster than most, ill be lucky to find a job, but im doing my degree because i love it!

Original post by Wisefire
If you come from old money and have a sweet inheritance, it is understandable why you are not concerned by money. If not... Well, in my eyes, money brings you pretty much everything (and believe me, I CANNOT tolerate not having money... Call me shallow or close-minded, but everything I have thought of IS the case, so it's all an actuality and shouldn't thus be deemed to be me over-thinking or being narrow-minded).

Money (for me at least) would bring you a longer life, a better quality of life, better girls, more girls, parties, more friends, better, more cultured and understanding friends, more possessions, better houses, better cars, more travelling, less pain, more confidence, more uniqueness and asserted prestige, less envy, less inability, less embarrassment, fewer feelings of being 'pathetic', the ability for you to mingle about with better gene pools, you not having to worry about going to that nice restaurant, or you being able to actually go into something more than a ****ty high-street shop and buy something... AND A MORE EXTENSIVE LIFE, in general.

Look, the only thing that puts a smile to my face is the thought of being upper-middle class, and having, I don't know, £80k-£85k+. In London, you're nothing if you as a household bring around £2500 a month (after tax). That's me, right now. I need £4000+ a month after tax, on MY OWN income, to be happy. I haven't even factored in the wifey's income, and I most certainly hope she herself brings in at the very least £40k a year.

im not from money, never have been, and never will be. i dont even think il inherrit anything when my mum dies. so no i dont care for money. i have everything i need and not had to buy it. i have love from my family, love from my partner, happiness, and im blessed for my life every time i wake up.

i honestly believe your looking at life differently.
also you dont need money to travel. my brother and his girlfriend when to china 2 years about, and his girlfriend had £80 to her name when they left. money doesnt buy happiness.

i think your setting yourself up for a mighty fall in life, your expecting a lot, you cant control what life gives you.
i know someone that owned their own landscaping business, was a millionaire, set his 2 kids up in life, owned a massive house in a nice area in the uk, a long with a villa in florida that can sleep 12 people with its own pool. but he wasnt happy. hes since sold his business, his house in the uk, moved into a 3 bed house, have a feeling its a semi detatched, and now works full time as a lorry driver, and looking to sell his villa. ill tell you what, hes MUCH happier now than he ever was.

Not being pessimistic, but all I can see is debts and more debts.. just saying :smile:
i think were going to have to agree to disagree, because personally i would rather be absolutely skint and know that i am improving the lives of young people, and giving them options i never had, than be in a boring office style job with a decent wage.

That is admirable, however I could not live like that. I've been brought up in a very comfortable way (financially), through a private school etc and honestly what I crave more than anything is to just continue my way of life. My dad went from nothing to sending his kids to private school, living a full and prosperous life. I want to give my kids the same life.

I've just realised that what I just said makes me sound very pretentious if that's the right word, and I'm not trying to brag. I'm eternally grateful for the life I've had thus far and whilst I have lived a good life I wouldn't say I've been spoilt.

Anyway back to the point, I too love to help people but I fear being skint :P
Original post by BlackMagicV
Please can you tell me of such a school? Most of the schools I've looked at have been £10k/term (boarding) or about £4k/term for day schooling. I imagine you'd need a little more than £60k household income to send a child to such a school, particularly if they're not an only child. Even Fyling Hall is £2k-£3k/term for day schooling. When my parents were considering sending me to a local private school (as I was being bullied for being perceived as well off, to the point where I was chased home every day for 5 years by the same group of four degenerates lobbing stones at me), it would have worked out as £35k over two years.

With regards to OP, going from the advice of several connections, do a degree that you really enjoy, make friends at university and network. If you're very set on going into something specific like medicine, then you will obviously need a degree in medicine. I was actually speaking to a CEO who is a very good friend of Dad's, and he said that his accountancy firm actually prefers graduates with an arts degree over those with a scientific degree. It was interesting that he said that, but I'm still not entirely sure if he merely said that because I will be reading a degree in History and French. Other than that, keep your options open and make opportunities happen.

I said child, not children. And 60k being one of the two people's salary. You could easily manage to send your child to public school.
Original post by stirkee
That is admirable, however I could not live like that. I've been brought up in a very comfortable way (financially), through a private school etc and honestly what I crave more than anything is to just continue my way of life. My dad went from nothing to sending his kids to private school, living a full and prosperous life. I want to give my kids the same life.

I've just realised that what I just said makes me sound very pretentious if that's the right word, and I'm not trying to brag. I'm eternally grateful for the life I've had thus far and whilst I have lived a good life I wouldn't say I've been spoilt.

Anyway back to the point, I too love to help people but I fear being skint :P

I guess because iv never had money, even with my mum and step dad working as hard as they could to provide for me my brother and siblings, but neither are in well paid jobs, even with my mum often working 60 hour weeks, but we still lived off tesco value food and stuff, im not scared of that life. Heck i have £14 to do a weekly shop for 2 people next week! But me and my partner are SO blessed to be able to live together in our flat, and we love each other enough that money doesnt really matter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What are you doing now?
I guess because iv never had money, even with my mum and step dad working as hard as they could to provide for me my brother and siblings, but neither are in well paid jobs, even with my mum often working 60 hour weeks, but we still lived off tesco value food and stuff, im not scared of that life. Heck i have £14 to do a weekly shop for 2 people next week! But me and my partner are SO blessed to be able to live together in our flat, and we love each other enough that money doesnt really matter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As long as you're happy, which you seem to be :smile:

I do think you might be right with the first part though. I do often wonder whether or not a) I'd be where I am today and b) I'd have the same motivation and drive to succeed as I do if my upbringing had been far less stable financially.

I'm not saying that people who grow up on council estates etc are destined to fail with no motivation to do anything etc but... Idk. I guess maybe my lifestyle thus far is to an extent spurring me on so that I can continue it myself. I don't want my dad to provide for me forever nor would I expect him to. Maybe there's also that I don't want the money my parents spent on my schooling to seem that it went to waste- heck with the money they spent on my education they could have instead sent me to my local comprehensive/sixth form for free and bought a Lamborghini or something (and believe me, that would have made my dad even happier.. :P). Instead they invested in my future if you like and so I do believe that has motivated me further.
What are you doing now?

What do you mean? I'm 17. Got no friends. Got nothing but just travel about London if I want. My parents know no one. We have no money for anything. No holidays, nothing. Londoners all around me more connected, richer, smarter and happier... My mum just sorts out the house and my dad just sits here on the weekends doing nothing but sleeping, shouting and idk, farting, waiting for Monday to go back to his 9-5 £50k job that's barely enough for anything... Me? Lamenting my existence, under a state of extreme anxiety, scared about my chances for social mobility and on the verge of studying **** hard for next year from now. ****ty summer No.17...

I just wish I was upper-middle class, connected, had a strong social group with mainly successful people, had the money to actually go and do something genuine in the weekends, and had a true life... With an 80k car, 600k house, and money to travel a lot and be a somebody. That's all.

Oh and meanwhile, everybody I know (literally, every single person I know) is just RICHER (in the general sense, not just monetarily) than me. It's driving me mad. Forgetting that though, most people I know are very much actual millionaires anyhow, some into the tens of millions, 2 are centi-millionaires...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by stirkee
As long as you're happy, which you seem to be :smile:

I do think you might be right with the first part though. I do often wonder whether or not a) I'd be where I am today and b) I'd have the same motivation and drive to succeed as I do if my upbringing had been far less stable financially.

I'm not saying that people who grow up on council estates etc are destined to fail with no motivation to do anything etc but... Idk. I guess maybe my lifestyle thus far is to an extent spurring me on so that I can continue it myself. I don't want my dad to provide for me forever nor would I expect him to. Maybe there's also that I don't want the money my parents spent on my schooling to seem that it went to waste- heck with the money they spent on my education they could have instead sent me to my local comprehensive/sixth form for free and bought a Lamborghini or something (and believe me, that would have made my dad even happier.. :P). Instead they invested in my future if you like and so I do believe that has motivated me further.

motivation doesnt always come from parents though, yes my mum has given me so much motivation because shes acheived so much, she was a single mum of 3 under 5 for a few years, and i dont think me and my siblings have turned out bad.

people live in council houses for different reasons, i was brought up in a council house because my dad had an affair and refused to stop seeing his mistress so my mum moved out as she couldnt stay in that environment, this meant we were moved into a council house as we were technically homeless. but my mum has always worked, even when a single parent.
also not all council houses are in estates, i was brought up in a VERY posh village, and in primary school the parents were lawyers, brain surgeons, business men, all sorts, and some people went to private school, some went to the grammer school and some went to the local comp. my brother infact went to the local grammar school because hes very academic and clever.

but on the other hand i know 2 people went to the private school one lasted a year and hated it, so left to go to the local comp, and the other joing the local comp at 6th form and admitted that she preffered the comp to the private school. so i think its down to personal preference.
What do you mean? I'm 17. Got no friends. Got nothing but just travel about London if I want. My parents know no one. We have no money for anything. No holidays, nothing. Londoners all around me more connected, richer, smarter and happier... My mum just sorts out the house and my dad just sits here on the weekends doing nothing but sleeping, shouting and idk, farting, waiting for Monday to go back to his 9-5 £50k job that's barely enough for anything... Me? Lamenting my existence, under a state of extreme anxiety, scared about my chances for social mobility and on the verge of studying **** hard for next year from now. ****ty summer No.17...

I just wish I was upper-middle class, connected, had a strong social group with mainly successful people, had the money to actually go and do something genuine in the weekends, and had a true life... With an 80k car, 600k house, and money to travel a lot and be a somebody. That's all.

Oh and meanwhile, everybody I know (literally, every single person I know) is just RICHER (in the general sense, not just monetarily) than me. It's driving me mad. Forgetting that though, most people I know are very much actual millionaires anyhow, some into the tens of millions, 2 are centi-millionaires...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wait is that 50k in london or out of london? 50k is very good outside of london tbh.
I mean what are you looking to do at uni etc
motivation doesnt always come from parents though, yes my mum has given me so much motivation because shes acheived so much, she was a single mum of 3 under 5 for a few years, and i dont think me and my siblings have turned out bad.

people live in council houses for different reasons, i was brought up in a council house because my dad had an affair and refused to stop seeing his mistress so my mum moved out as she couldnt stay in that environment, this meant we were moved into a council house as we were technically homeless. but my mum has always worked, even when a single parent.
also not all council houses are in estates, i was brought up in a VERY posh village, and in primary school the parents were lawyers, brain surgeons, business men, all sorts, and some people went to private school, some went to the grammer school and some went to the local comp. my brother infact went to the local grammar school because hes very academic and clever.

but on the other hand i know 2 people went to the private school one lasted a year and hated it, so left to go to the local comp, and the other joing the local comp at 6th form and admitted that she preffered the comp to the private school. so i think its down to personal preference.

I know, I'm not saying that people need to brought up well financially to succeed, and I'm not saying that all motivation comes from parents. I'm just saying that I do believe that in my case, a fair amount has!

Also I wasn't trying to generalise council housing either :smile:
Wait is that 50k in london or out of london? 50k is very good outside of london tbh.
I mean what are you looking to do at uni etc

Very much in London. Most people I know live in the posher/middle-class parts of London (i.e north-west/west). I live in north. I'll probably do economics or maths. Love the 2 and they're lucrative. Read my bio/About Me for more info.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I respect your logic! Its true!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You wouldn't necessarily have friends or things to do at the weekend if your parents were earning more money, you sound like a bit of an ass to be honest

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by stirkee
I know, I'm not saying that people need to brought up well financially to succeed, and I'm not saying that all motivation comes from parents. I'm just saying that I do believe that in my case, a fair amount has!

Also I wasn't trying to generalise council housing either :smile:

a lot of my motivation actially came from a teacher who basically saved me from getting kicked out of school, so i guess thats why i want to help others, not earn money, id be quite happy in a voluntary position if it means i get to help people!

i know you wernt, but i was clearing up for other people, who DO generalise council housing on the hole rough estate where people are drug dealers and nobody works... in my village there were 6 council houses and everyone works :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending