The Student Room Group

How much do you pay for your accommodation in the private sector? [POLL]

Scroll to see replies

Next year I'll be paying 55 per week which is the most I'll have paid.

If I wanted somewhere nicer I could pay 70-90 per week.
Original post by Rakas21
Next year I'll be paying 55 per week which is the most I'll have paid.

If I wanted somewhere nicer I could pay 70-90 per week.

Wow that's even cheaper than mine and I thought I was cheap at 63.50p/w

Where about's is that?
Original post by Ruffiio
Wow that's even cheaper than mine and I thought I was cheap at 63.50p/w

Where about's is that?

Leeds, uni accommodation is over 110 so I certainly had no intention of paying that.
Original post by de_monies
Frigging cheap that is for Manchester! Also, when looking for houses, I also considered car insurance prices :biggrin:

It was unusually cheap, though my rent is even cheaper in my new house - £2420 for 52 weeks :biggrin: My haggling skills have improved somewhat!

I've never considered car insurance though as I don't drive

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Origami Bullets
It was unusually cheap, though my rent is even cheaper in my new house - £2420 for 52 weeks :biggrin: My haggling skills have improved somewhat!

I've never considered car insurance though as I don't drive

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tbf, when I did see cheaper prices, the car insurance went up astronomically, so it's getting that balance, but yeah I guess if you dont drive, you dont really need to consider that

In the north, it'snot uncommon to find a three bedroom terraced for £400/month

ie: £33/week/person
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by Kre
With bills it's about an extra £450 a year (water, electricity, gas, internet).

It isn't that cheap for shared accommodation in Reading. Most rents are around £320-£340 a week. Ours was £360 each.

Where are you staying?

bristol
Reply 26
Original post by jelly1000
Yeah I will have a small single, but if your prepared to live further away from the university you can get rooms cheaper.

How far out from the uni campus was your accomodation?
For a new build, 2 double bed en suite, fully furnished flat on the quayside shared with a friend next year we're looking at £3300 a year rent each and about £800 each in bills (contents insurance, tv license, gas electricity, water and cable/internet/phoneline)
Original post by fuzzybear
How far out from the uni campus was your accomodation?

15 minute walk. Most people prefer to live a bus ride away though, I've never worked out why.
Reply 29
£6875, bills included, thank god. (The sad thing is, that's still cheaper than my first year in halls - £7839)
Original post by Reina
£6875, bills included, thank god. (The sad thing is, that's still cheaper than my first year in halls - £7839)

lol wtf, that's more expensive than max student finance support :biggrin:
Original post by de_monies
Tbf, when I did see cheaper prices, the car insurance went up astronomically, so it's getting that balance, but yeah I guess if you dont drive, you dont really need to consider that

In the north, it'snot uncommon to find a three bedroom terraced for £400/month

ie: £33/week/person

WTF? My ROOM is £411 a month this year and I've seen rooms for easily £500.

This is why it's ridiculous everyone outside London gets the same loan.
Reply 32
Original post by Ruffiio
lol wtf, that's more expensive than max student finance support :biggrin:

This is what happens when some genius decides to build a university in South Kensington :frown:
Original post by SmallTownGirl
WTF? My ROOM is £411 a month this year and I've seen rooms for easily £500.

This is why it's ridiculous everyone outside London gets the same loan.

Sorry when I say north I mean a town that comes under the city of Bradford ie: House prices are a lot cheaper here

Though at the same time, car insurance is sky high here, so it all evens out - and many students do have cars. Many dont, but many do as well

Let's say when I came to the midlands I was in for a shock at the prices
My 5 bed house in Bath (Oldfield Park) was £360 per month per person, but we didn't pay for or get July or August. Bills not included. I landed the only double bedroom because nobody else wanted a downstairs room. So during the night I basically got a bathroom all to myself. Nice place, maybe 2 minutes from the bus stop?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by Contrad!ction.
My 5 bed house in Bath (Oldfield Park) was £360 per month per person, but we didn't pay for or get July or August. Bills not included. I landed the only double bedroom because nobody else wanted a downstairs room. So during the night I basically got a bathroom all to myself. Nice place, maybe 2 minutes from the bus stop?

How much would you pay for bills per month? because £360 for rent is a pretty sweet deal. Not having to pay for rent in july and august is also great as well, but don't you have the hassle of moving all your stuff out each year?
Thinking back, I wished I looked into the rent prices more when I was choosing unis.
Original post by fuzzybear
How much would you pay for bills per month? because £360 for rent is a pretty sweet deal. Not having to pay for rent in july and august is also great as well, but don't you have the hassle of moving all your stuff out each year?

Bills are relatively uniform across the country - you'll find much more variation based on individual usage patterns and whether or not people have switched suppliers than anything else. However, £10-15pppw is fairly average.

Yes, you most likely will end up moving annually, but this is just the nature of being a student really. That said, it's normal for letting agents to ask if you want to rent the house for another year before they start advertising it, which means that some avoid the hassle

Posted from TSR Mobile
My flat costs me 3,420 - that's having it from september - june. My flatmate pays the same amount so it'll be worth 6840 in total.
Original post by Kre
£4320 for 52 weeks in a 9 bedroom house in Reading (shared with 8 other people). A little on the steep side even in Reading but it's a premium to pay to live in such a big house!

Enjoy repaying your loan you cretin !

Quick Reply

Latest