The Student Room Group

I just graduated with a media and cultural studies degree, AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MichelBraga
I applied for a "similar" (master) degree at KCL (Arts & Cultural Management), and although I was accepted, I was really insecure about the prospects in the area, so I deferred. I chose to do another program for now, but I'm still curious about it, the modules were really interesting. But it seemed like a course without a very clear structure, with kinda diffuse purpose. Do you agree?

Yes I agree. It tries to encompass everything and in the process loses its meaning. What did you do instead if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 61
Original post by donutaud15
wales

Sheep. :giggle:
Yes I agree. It tries to encompass everything and in the process loses its meaning. What did you do instead if you don't mind me asking?

Social and Cultural Anthropology. You should check for jobs related to the creative industries, although it isn't exactly a "gold mine" type of career, it is a growing sector in the UK, especially London.
Reply 63
This probably sounds pretty obvious but what does the cultural studies portion of your degree include? It sounds interesting.
Original post by Yawn11
Cold world

It's actually a very warm world. Like hell.

Original post by Wee.Guy
Banana Milk or Strawberry Milk or Chocolate Milk?

Chocolate milk. Banana or strawberry makes me ill.

Original post by Wee.Guy
What are you political leanings ?

Middle leaning towards right

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ndella
This probably sounds pretty obvious but what does the cultural studies portion of your degree include? It sounds interesting.

Basicaly we study a country as a case study. History, Politics and Geography mainly. Then we study how the media works in that country/countries. For example for one of the modules we studied Latin America. Each week was a study of history etc of a country like Cuba. Then we look into things like globalisation, state media, post modern culture etc. The assessment looks closer into those topics and how they relate.

Original post by Wee.Guy
Sheep. :giggle:

I lived there for 8 years and barely saw any sheep in Swansea. It's a lot more towards the border of England and Wales. Maybe in some other parts of Wales.

Social and Cultural Anthropology. You should check for jobs related to the creative industries, although it isn't exactly a "gold mine" type of career, it is a growing sector in the UK, especially London.

There's a lot of competition in creative industries and it doesn't pay enough for my daily travel to London. Maybe later on when my household income is higher.

Do you have any future plans with your masters yet?
There's a lot of competition in creative industries and it doesn't pay enough for my daily travel to London. Maybe later on when my household income is higher.

Yep, that's true. I'm interested in international security and digital anthropology, so I'll look for jobs in think tanks, international organizations and state departments. In the future, with more experience, I might be able to do some consulting for big corps. There's a fair share of opportunities tbh.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yep, that's true. I'm interested in international security and digital anthropology, so I'll look for jobs in think tanks, international organizations and state departments. In the future, with more experience, I might be able to do some consulting for big corps. There's a fair share of opportunities tbh.

It all sounds great. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 68
Original post by Ben_Dover
I would probably find that really annoying. Then again I'm more of a technical person

lol you do know that this is pretty much the same for technical degrees?

The first year usually introduces the basics, then in the second year you keep building on previous concepts you were taught in year 1 and it gets harder and harder each year till you graduate.

Spoiler

Reply 69

what type of production would you like to be involved in O.o
Original post by a10
what type of production would you like to be involved in O.o

Ideally movie production. That's unlikely to happen though. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 71
Ideally movie production. That's unlikely to happen though. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

have you tried applying to internships in production? I was told by some careers woman at my uni that the likes of BBC/Walt Disney run like internships and training schools in production or something

all about contacts :colondollar:
Reply 72
What is the cultural significance of Justin Bieber?
Original post by a10
lol you do know that this is pretty much the same for technical degrees?

The first year usually introduces the basics, then in the second year you keep building on previous concepts you were taught in year 1 and it gets harder and harder each year till you graduate.

Spoiler

I was talking about technical art based subjects, I.e. law.
Reply 74
Which masters are you thinking about doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by a10
have you tried applying to internships in production? I was told by some careers woman at my uni that the likes of BBC/Walt Disney run like internships and training schools in production or something

all about contacts :colondollar:

Yeah I was told about contacts. My uni was good at providing them lol.

I've had an internship last year at the Financial Times in video production and it was good but they only paid £50 pw on expenses and it's nowhere near enough to cover my daily trip to London. Most internships I found were similar or worse unpaid. I've heard the competition in BBC is quite tough, would try apply when it reopens again. Don't know much about Disney though.

Original post by nohomo
What is the cultural significance of Justin Bieber?

I'm still trying to figure that out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Basicaly we study a country as a case study. History, Politics and Geography mainly. Then we study how the media works in that country/countries. For example for one of the modules we studied Latin America. Each week was a study of history etc of a country like Cuba. Then we look into things like globalisation, state media, post modern culture etc. The assessment looks closer into those topics and how they relate.

I lived there for 8 years and barely saw any sheep in Swansea. It's a lot more towards the border of England and Wales. Maybe in some other parts of Wales.

That sounds well interesting. So looking forward to September.
Reply 77
Yeah I was told about contacts. My uni was good at providing them lol.

I've had an internship last year at the Financial Times in video production and it was good but they only paid £50 pw on expenses and it's nowhere near enough to cover my daily trip to London. Most internships I found were similar or worse unpaid. I've heard the competition in BBC is quite tough, would try apply when it reopens again. Don't know much about Disney though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

hmm yeah that wouldn't be worth it travel wise but if it was something in productions (which will help) then i would say just go for it!

Walt Disney run some production internships in london, not sure when they open though but experience in the sector is key (combine that with the contacts you would have got, you'll be in)...

easier said than done though but don't give up :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by gemmam
Which masters are you thinking about doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ideally digital media but not sure.

Original post by SmallTownGirl
That sounds well interesting. So looking forward to September.

Good luck! :smile:

Original post by a10
hmm yeah that wouldn't be worth it travel wise but if it was something in productions (which will help) then i would say just go for it!

Walt Disney run some production internships in london, not sure when they open though but experience in the sector is key (combine that with the contacts you would have got, you'll be in)...

easier said than done though but don't give up :smile:

It's hard because I live in Sussex and travel cost about £120 pw. I don't need enough for living expenses but just for fare. *sigh* it's just hard lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79

It's hard because I live in Sussex and travel cost about £120 pw. I don't need enough for living expenses but just for fare. *sigh* it's just hard lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

you'll be alright

lol i live in sussex during term time, i thought the train from there to london is fairly cheap if you got the yearly rail card? no?

Quick Reply

Latest