The Student Room Group

Budgeting for uni

So, I'm hoping to study Sport and Exercise Science at Northumbria starting next september, now I know it's a while away but I have my heart set on not living in halls and living by the Quayside.
What I've done is got together all money I'm expecting (bursaries, maint. loan/grant and my wage as I work) and took into account how much I'd have over each month from Sept '15 to Aug '16. I've budgeted for how much I'd approx pay in water, gas, electric, contents insurance, cable/internet and rent for a flat I have my heart set on, and obviously depending on the month I'd have different amounts left over but the minimum I'd be left with would be £300 odd.
I need to know if that is enough for food and household stuff and a bit of a social life? (and any tips anyone has to help me out a little)
It's unlikely that £300 would be enough for food and household stuff for a year, and even if it did there would be little to nothing left to spend on a social life. Sorry... My suggestion would be to agree on an overdraft (which with a student account you should be entitled to) with your bank of perhaps £500 (maybe more but probably not less) a month, you could then dip into that if needed. It would need paying back once you had a full time job, however it would allow you to afford food, household items and social life.
No no no, I mean like £300 is the minimum I'd have left over for one month :tongue: the amount of money I'd have each month varies but £300 is the minimum for one. I'm definitely going to try and have an overdraft, in case of contingencies that I can't cover with my savings and stuff :smile:
Oh sorry, I completely misunderstood, it sounds like your quids in. £300 a month sounds great for all that, especially as a minimum! :smile:
Thank-you! I've tried to work it out a million times because £300 as a minimum sounds like a fair bit for a student, my max is something like £1100, but it means I can save for second year and possibly drive, I'll just have to see how student finance treat me 'ey
Reply 5
Original post by emilyjaaayne
So, I'm hoping to study Sport and Exercise Science at Northumbria starting next september, now I know it's a while away but I have my heart set on not living in halls and living by the Quayside.
What I've done is got together all money I'm expecting (bursaries, maint. loan/grant and my wage as I work) and took into account how much I'd have over each month from Sept '15 to Aug '16. I've budgeted for how much I'd approx pay in water, gas, electric, contents insurance, cable/internet and rent for a flat I have my heart set on, and obviously depending on the month I'd have different amounts left over but the minimum I'd be left with would be £300 odd.
I need to know if that is enough for food and household stuff and a bit of a social life? (and any tips anyone has to help me out a little)

That's more than enough :smile: You could live quite comfortably with that annd even afford lots of sims stuff with it (that what I'd spend the extra money on if it was me haha)
Reply 6
I lived on £30-35 per week at university (for food), but that's because I was too lazy to get the 20 minute bus to ASDA when I could walk 5 minutes down to Tesco express.
No no no, I mean like £300 is the minimum I'd have left over for one month :tongue: the amount of money I'd have each month varies but £300 is the minimum for one. I'm definitely going to try and have an overdraft, in case of contingencies that I can't cover with my savings and stuff :smile:

While you could get food for about £20 a week, why not be lenient and give yourself £30, or even stretch it to £40 just to see how far your left over money will go. As you said, it'll vary each time but £40 budget: 4 weeks in a month (roughly) 40 x 4 = £160, which means you'd have about £140 left over for whatever you want. That's more than enough :smile:
Original post by Ruffiio
I lived on £30-35 per week at university (for food), but that's because I was too lazy to get the 20 minute bus to ASDA when I could walk 5 minutes down to Tesco express.

I won't even be leaving to do my shopping man, thank god for the internet and online delivery
my parents are so arsey about the fact I want to move out (as I'm staying local) so i can't get any help from them without it being patronizing or sarcastic or awkward so thanks guys :smile: where is everyone wanting to/currently studying?
Reply 10
I won't even be leaving to do my shopping man, thank god for the internet and online delivery

Your money plan seems good. Especially with the quayside, which is quite expensive. Are you from the area? If not I'm sure you'll love it I'm from morpeth and go to newcastle all the time and the quayside is beautiful especially at night.

Problem is you have to do a £25 minimum shop when I could probably do my shopping for about £20,

£5 doesn't sound like much but it adds up over the year.
Original post by Coxy124
Your money plan seems good. Especially with the quayside, which is quite expensive. Are you from the area? If not I'm sure you'll love it I'm from morpeth and go to newcastle all the time and the quayside is beautiful especially at night.

I live in Washington but I work at the metrocentre and I'm in town all the time, I love it there! Hence why I wanna be so close, the rent for the place I'm looking at is £550pcm but it's two bed so I'd be sharing so its not that bad, plus its the new builds on Duston Staithes, fully furnished so its pretty good from what I've seen
Original post by Ruffiio
Problem is you have to do a £25 minimum shop when I could probably do my shopping for about £20,

Yeah I see what you're getting at, hopefully I can do my shopping with my roommate so it equals a little more and we split (in an ideal world ahahah)
Original post by Ruffiio

Just do a fortnightly shop online then, and buy your fresh items locally. No problem with the minimum spend then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending