The Student Room Group

Advice from previous Year 11's to upcoming Year 11's

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by funkydee19
Was Buisness a BTEC?

Yes, but my teacher was a moron so it was one cock up after another.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WriterOfWrongs
And if you have just left year 11:

1) How was year 11 for you?

Pretty chilled, got on with my work and it was all okay.

2) How many exams did you sit?

14 (15 including art)

3) What advice will you like to give to the upcoming year 11s?

Don't panic and be a complete stress head. If you're calm from the beginning then you can do your work with a clear mind so you have a good understanding when it comes to revision.

Past papers are your best friend.

Ask for help if you need it and take any extra help sessions.

Work out your perfect method of revision very early on - it avoids faffing about in May.

Don't be consumed by the pressure and just have fun!

I totally forgot about past papers. They were extremely helpful especially for science :biggrin:
Original post by Andy98
Yes, but my teacher was a moron so it was one cock up after another.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lool same. Everyone on here seemed to have some problem with the BTEC course they did at GCSE.
Reply 23
Lool same. Everyone on here seemed to have some problem with the BTEC course they did at GCSE.

No my teacher was an idiot so we did nothing in year 10, then he left halfway through year 11 so we had an assortment of (not business studies teachers) teachers trying to cover and we ended up doing this two year long course in three months.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
No my teacher was an idiot so we did nothing in year 10, then he left halfway through year 11 so we had an assortment of (not business studies teachers) teachers trying to cover and we ended up doing this two year long course in three months.

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh wow... that's badd, same happened to my friend in my school.. was you able to finish all your assignments?
Reply 25
should i start revising from september?
Reply 26
oh wow... that's badd, same happened to my friend in my school.. was you able to finish all your assignments?

Just, what school you at? Just curious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by Zeroic

No. That is way too early. At the earliest start at Easter. But it depends how confident you are.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It was a lot harder than I thought it was. I think the main reason for this is that in English we had to start preparing for the exam from the first lesson of the year because of the November exam. It would have been a bit easier if the school didn't put lots of pressure on us. From February onwards they helped us in our weakest subjects by giving us intervention lessons after school. I had English, Geography and Science.

I had 9 exams all throughout the year but 8 in the summer.

Stay calm
Try to get good nights sleep every night, because I had so much pressure from school and parents I had a hard time sleeping and had many sleepless nights.
Reply 29
this is my advice for anyone starting year 11

[Q="funkydee19;48618009"]

If you are in year 10 going into year 11:
1) What GCSE's are you taking?

2) What are your expectations of year 11?

3)Are you looking forward to year 11?
[/Q]
1)English language and literature, maths, triple science, geography, r.e ,psychology, sociology, and French.

2)Stressful

3)Kind of. I just wanna see good results at the end and feel happy with myself.
Original post by Andy98
Just, what school you at? Just curious.

Posted from TSR Mobile

EDIT: I went to a girls school so it wouldn't have been the same as yours aha
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zeroic

deffo not.
Original post by James2810
It was a lot harder than I thought it was. I think the main reason for this is that in English we had to start preparing for the exam from the first lesson of the year because of the November exam. It would have been a bit easier if the school didn't put lots of pressure on us. From February onwards they helped us in our weakest subjects by giving us intervention lessons after school. I had English, Geography and Science.

I had 9 exams all throughout the year but 8 in the summer.

Stay calm
Try to get good nights sleep every night, because I had so much pressure from school and parents I had a hard time sleeping and had many sleepless nights.

Yeah same with my school, we had a lot of pressure.. I'm sure Year 11 could have been a bit better if they changed their ways..
I'm taking English Literature, English Language, Maths, Double Science, ICT, Psychology, Spanish and R.S.

I'm expecting it to be really stressful and the workload to be a lot heavier than Year 10 :frown:

No, I'm dreading it!
Reply 35

3)What advice will you like to give to the upcoming year 11s?

1. Year 11 was okay, i enjoyed it but my school put a lot of pressure on us and because i was in the tops sets i had to do more GCSEs than others, so i put a lot of pressure on myself. And although i really liked all of my teachers by year 11 i was so fed up of doing subjects that i had to do but hated, like english and french. There was also so many revision sessions because i did triple science but due to my schools awful timetabling, we didnt have enough lessons to cover all the content :sigh:. But i still had fun and if im honest i could have worked so much harder but I didnt see the point because at the end of the day GCSEs arent as important as teacher may make them seem!

2. I sat 26 exams, by the 14th exam i stopped revising properly :mmm: it was a bit too much

3. My advice that made me stress less about the exams is that GCSEs are just a step to the next point; alevels, BTEC etc. But they really arent too important, you need to make good notes in class that you can revise from or get a revision guide (i would dedicate my 3 science gcses to my revision guides they were fantastic) and split your revsion time based on what subjects you find the hardest rather than ones you like :smile:. Also, go to the revision lessons your teachers give they summarise the content well!

When it gets hard...just keep thinking of the extra long holiday you get after them!:yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Purple-Pixie
I'm taking English Literature, English Language, Maths, Double Science, ICT, Psychology, Spanish and R.S.

I'm expecting it to be really stressful and the workload to be a lot heavier than Year 10 :frown:

No, I'm dreading it!

Try not to 'dread' year 11. Try to feel prepared for the workload. I'm not saying it's gonna be easy, but it will be worth it, so try to prepare yourself mentally for the workload ahead. I always went into an exam relaxed because I stayed away from my friends just before it (They tend to talk a lot about how scared they are, and are always doing last minute revision). In year 11 be 'selfish' in a way.. people may want help from you but especially from January onwards start caring about your own education, because your friends can really slow down your progress sometimes.
Original post by J C
1. Year 11 was okay, i enjoyed it but my school put a lot of pressure on us and because i was in the tops sets i had to do more GCSEs than others, so i put a lot of pressure on myself. And although i really liked all of my teachers by year 11 i was so fed up of doing subjects that i had to do but hated, like english and french. There was also so many revision sessions because i did triple science but due to my schools awful timetabling, we didnt have enough lessons to cover all the content :sigh:. But i still had fun and if im honest i could have worked so much harder but I didnt see the point because at the end of the day GCSEs arent as important as teacher may make them seem!

2. I sat 26 exams, by the 14th exam i stopped revising properly :mmm: it was a bit too much

3. My advice that made me stress less about the exams is that GCSEs are just a step to the next point; alevels, BTEC etc. But they really arent too important, you need to make good notes in class that you can revise from or get a revision guide (i would dedicate my 3 science gcses to my revision guides they were fantastic) and split your revsion time based on what subjects you find the hardest rather than ones you like :smile:. Also, go to the revision lessons your teachers give they summarise the content well!

When it gets hard...just keep thinking of the extra long holiday you get after them!:yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The holiday was my motivation as well haha
Yeah same with my school, we had a lot of pressure.. I'm sure Year 11 could have been a bit better if they changed their ways..

Apart from the stress and the pressure that was o
put on to me I actually enjoyed year 11. My year 10 geography teacher retired at the end of year 10 so we got the head of geography as our teacher and even though I'm not that good at geography she kept beliving in me and helped me even if I was the only one not to understand what to do she kept telling me in different ways until I did.
Reply 39
EDIT: I went to a girls school so it wouldn't have been the same as yours aha

Fair enough

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest