The Student Room Group

Summer temp working at New Look wanting to quit. Am I being unreasonable?

Hello everyone! I recently got a job at New Look (started on the 7th of July) to work all of summer however two weeks into it I already hate it. My coworkers are lovely but one of the managers is very rude and I'm earning £3.72 an hour. Myself and another new girl earn the same but every other under 18 employee gets £5/6 an hour because they applied before the pay drop. I have another job at a pub where I earn between £6-12 an hour depending on tips (and they treat me like family) so I don't really need the New Look job.

The reason I want to quit is that I've had next to no free time all summer- I applied thinking I would get 2/3 shifts a week but instead they have me coming in most days of the week (including Sundays). The bus fare costs more than an hour's wages and I can't get a lift as my mother died and my dad is busy, nor can I walk as it's all down dangerous roads. A taxi journey would cost me £6 so I'm almost making a loss at this job. To add insult to injury there is also no reception there so if I have a problem I can't contact anyone (petty but it's been an issue before). I also told my manager with two weeks notice I could not work one of the shifts I had been given and 14 hours before the start of the shift the manager had a go at me for not being available.

I was wondering if I'd be able to quit? I know I have to give two weeks notice but I was wondering if anyone knew whether I have to stick it out until the end? I'm a minor so apparently I can't be held responsible for signing my contract, but I'm not even sure whether they'd let me leave.

Sorry for such a wall of text! Any replies or advice would be greatly appreciated.
I really am not in a position to offer you proper advice, but surely you can tell your manager about the travel costs, and he might pay for them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by nintengods
Hello everyone! I recently got a job at New Look (started on the 7th of July) to work all of summer however two weeks into it I already hate it. My coworkers are lovely but one of the managers is very rude and I'm earning £3.72 an hour. Myself and another new girl earn the same but every other under 18 employee gets £5/6 an hour because they applied before the pay drop. I have another job at a pub where I earn between £6-12 an hour depending on tips (and they treat me like family) so I don't really need the New Look job.

The reason I want to quit is that I've had next to no free time all summer- I applied thinking I would get 2/3 shifts a week but instead they have me coming in most days of the week (including Sundays). The bus fare costs more than an hour's wages and I can't get a lift as my mother died and my dad is busy, nor can I walk as it's all down dangerous roads. A taxi journey would cost me £6 so I'm almost making a loss at this job. To add insult to injury there is also no reception there so if I have a problem I can't contact anyone (petty but it's been an issue before). I also told my manager with two weeks notice I could not work one of the shifts I had been given and 14 hours before the start of the shift the manager had a go at me for not being available.

I was wondering if I'd be able to quit? I know I have to give two weeks notice but I was wondering if anyone knew whether I have to stick it out until the end? I'm a minor so apparently I can't be held responsible for signing my contract, but I'm not even sure whether they'd let me leave.

Sorry for such a wall of text! Any replies or advice would be greatly appreciated.

You are a temporary worker on slave wages. You do not legally have to give notice. Ask for a raise and tell them that you cannot afford to work for less than £5 an hour. When they say no, tell them that you won't be back. They cannot do anything because you have only been there two weeks. By the same rules they can sack you on the spot too. You haven't worked your trial period.
I wouldn't put them down for a reference though.
Reply 3
Original post by marinajelly
I really am not in a position to offer you proper advice, but surely you can tell your manager about the travel costs, and he might pay for them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would a corporate job cover that? I know other girls drive themselves to work but I've not heard any of them say that having travel costs is an option. I may have to enquire though, thank you for the suggestion!
Reply 4
Original post by Cobbler
You are a temporary worker on slave wages. You do not legally have to give notice. Ask for a raise and tell them that you cannot afford to work for less than £5 an hour. When they say no, tell them that you won't be back. They cannot do anything because you have only been there two weeks. By the same rules they can sack you on the spot too. You haven't worked your trial period.
I wouldn't put them down for a reference though.

I was worried that quitting would be against my contract, especially without giving notice, but of that's the case I might have to just let it go! I think I'm going to leave a letter saying I can't afford to work there as I'm hardly making a profit, and if they offer me above £5 I'll accept it but less I'll just leave. Thank you so much for the advice!

Quick Reply

Latest