The Student Room Group

Are my A-Level options suitable for a biology degree?

Hey! I recently finished my GCSE's this summer and I've been starting to think about what I want to do at university, and currently I'm really interested in biology as it is my favourite subject, or perhaps psychology. My options are biology, chemistry, German, and psychology, but I want to change German to religious studies. Do you think this would be a suitable A-Level combination, or would I be at a significant disadvantage to those taking a maths A-Level? Maths has never been my strong point, and even though I'm expecting an A, I do not feel confident that I would get a good grade at a higher level. Are these subjects okay, or should I consider taking maths/physics? Thank you! :biggrin:
Original post by ChloeNR
Hey! I recently finished my GCSE's this summer and I've been starting to think about what I want to do at university, and currently I'm really interested in biology as it is my favourite subject, or perhaps psychology. My options are biology, chemistry, German, and psychology, but I want to change German to religious studies. Do you think this would be a suitable A-Level combination, or would I be at a significant disadvantage to those taking a maths A-Level? Maths has never been my strong point, and even though I'm expecting an A, I do not feel confident that I would get a good grade at a higher level. Are these subjects okay, or should I consider taking maths/physics? Thank you! :biggrin:

Yes, you need two sciences at least. It depends on your university choice as well though!
My friend did Biology, chemistry, Psychology and Art and has got 5 offers from really good unis (Leeds, Lancaster etc.) to do Biology so should be fine :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by JayJay-C19
Yes, you need two sciences at least. It depends on your university choice as well though!

Yes I am definitely taking biology and chemistry! I'm interested in universities such as Sheffield and Liverpool, thank you! :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by harrym96
My friend did Biology, chemistry, Psychology and Art and has got 5 offers from really good unis (Leeds, Lancaster etc.) to do Biology so should be fine :smile:

That's amazing, congratulations to your friend! Thank you :biggrin:
Original post by ChloeNR
Yes I am definitely taking biology and chemistry! I'm interested in universities such as Sheffield and Liverpool, thank you! :biggrin:

Then you'll be fine!

Good luck x
Reply 6
Original post by JayJay-C19
Then you'll be fine!

Good luck x

Ah thank you! Good look to you too x
Reply 7
If you already have a vague idea of which universities you're interested it, try looking on their websites. Usually, they will have the course listed along with a section for "recommended subjects". (And even if you're not sure about which unis, it's worth looking at a few websites anyway, since requirements are usually the similar).

Personally, I don't think it will put you at much of a disadvantage (if any at all). And bear in mind it's a lot better to take something you're comfortable with and come out with a good grade, than to take a subject purely because you think it might help and then not do very well.

I also have some friends doing biology at university. Their course does involve some maths, but it's mostly statistics - so most of the stuff you'd learn if you picked A level maths would be completely irrelevant anyway :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Reina
If you already have a vague idea of which universities you're interested it, try looking on their websites. Usually, they will have the course listed along with a section for "recommended subjects". (And even if you're not sure about which unis, it's worth looking at a few websites anyway, since requirements are usually the similar).

Personally, I don't think it will put you at much of a disadvantage (if any at all). And bear in mind it's a lot better to take something you're comfortable with and come out with a good grade, than to take a subject purely because you think it might help and then not do very well.

I also have some friends doing biology at university. Their course does involve some maths, but it's mostly statistics - so most of the stuff you'd learn if you picked A level maths would be completely irrelevant anyway :smile:

Thank you so much! This is a big reassurance :smile:
I'll have a look in more detail at specific universities entry requirements to make sure I'm applying to my strengths etc.
Yes, I understand. I feel much more confident in my ability to do well in subjects such as RS and psychology than maths, so I think it would be best to stick with these than risk it with a subject I'm not good at!
Thank you, this was very useful :biggrin:
Original post by ChloeNR

Don't worry about not taking maths. You should be fine :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by girlygiggle
Don't worry about not taking maths. You should be fine :smile:

That's a relief! Thank you :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by ChloeNR
Thank you so much! This is a big reassurance :smile:
I'll have a look in more detail at specific universities entry requirements to make sure I'm applying to my strengths etc.
Yes, I understand. I feel much more confident in my ability to do well in subjects such as RS and psychology than maths, so I think it would be best to stick with these than risk it with a subject I'm not good at!
Thank you, this was very useful :biggrin:

You're very welcome. All the best of luck :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Reina
You're very welcome. All the best of luck :smile:

Good luck to you too! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest