The Student Room Group

Which edition of Stroud Advanced Engineering Mathematics?

Looking to get this book to help with second year Engineering Maths, stuck between 4th and 5th editions (The former is about £40 cheaper on eBay..).

Does anyone know if there are any significant differences between the two? Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by a10
Get the 5th edition (it covers the maths for both first and second years)

Try to torrent it though than get one for £40, if you can't then just get a used one in good condition.

I already have the 5th edition of 'Engineering Mathematics' - Would you still go for the 5th edition?
Reply 2
Original post by alexholt
I already have the 5th edition of 'Engineering Mathematics' - Would you still go for the 5th edition?

yeah, that's the one i have :tongue:

I'm pretty sure the 5th edition is the latest one of Advanced Engineering Mathematics​. So I would get that.
Reply 4
Original post by addylad
I'm pretty sure the 5th edition is the latest one of Advanced Engineering Mathematics​. So I would get that.

It is but the price difference is astronomical, just asking to see if the differences are just a few typo's/mistakes or much bigger topic changes etc
Just get the cheapest one. I doubt the new edition will have anything that the old one doesn't that's relevant to your course.
Original post by Smack
Just get the cheapest one. I doubt the new edition will have anything that the old one doesn't that's relevant to your course.

Agreed, we were told the 5th edition, but not to worry as other additions won't be all that different.
I happen to have the third and sixth edition and I prefer the barebones approach of the third edition.
It is but the price difference is astronomical, just asking to see if the differences are just a few typo's/mistakes or much bigger topic changes etc

Brand new for £34 on Amazon?
Reply 9
Just use Higher Engineering Mathematics by John Bird, you'll be able to find a PDF online
Reply 10
wasted my money never used it, lecture notes and youtube are more than enough
Original post by Elitegamer95
I happen to have the third and sixth edition and I prefer the barebones approach of the third edition.

AFAIK there is no 6th edition.
Original post by sucess

I also agree with this.
Original post by addylad
AFAIK there is no 6th edition.

My bad, didn't read the 'advanced' in the title.
Reply 14
Original post by sucess

i would have never bought it either i just got lucky and got it free lol
Reply 15
I would either buy the cheapest one or borrow it at your university library. Spending a lot of money on books is a waste unless you know through history that you utilise books a lot.
According to one of my lecturers: After the first couple of editions of a book, the only changes they make are correcting typos and any mathematical errors.

Sometimes they will print the wrong answer for a question or things don't line up exactly, so they change it and sell it as a new edition. When it comes to engineering, a lot of it has been around for decades and even hundreds of years. Getting a cheaper version which is a few years old should be absolutely fine.

I also rarely use my books, despite them being provided for free by the university. I mostly get by on lecture slides and topics online. Sometimes I check a method or look for a better explanation (Youtube is fantastic for this as well), but I can't see any great reason to buy the book if it's available through a library.

Quick Reply

Latest