The Student Room Group

Is 100k miles ok on Vauxhall Astra (first car)

Looking to purchase my first car, insurance is around £1520-1700 with endsleigh for similar cars.

It's an 2005 Vauxhall Astra 1.4i 16V with 103k miles on it, i've asked for info on number of prev owners/log book etc and waiting on that to see as well before actually going to check it out

It has 12 MOT and 6mo tax on sale for £1650

Thanks

EDIT BY COMMUNITY TEAM

Check Endsleigh - they do student car insurance with significant discounts

If that doesn't work for you, try searching:
confused.com
gocompare.com
www.moneysupermarket.com
(edited 5 years ago)
Go for a 1.0 or 1.2 that will bring your insurance down. And generally 100k is a lot but it depends on how well the car was maintained by its previous owners.
Reply 2
Original post by TSA
Go for a 1.0 or 1.2 that will bring your insurance down. And generally 100k is a lot but it depends on how well the car was maintained by its previous owners.

This came up to £1512 on insurance which i'm fine about and my parents were told by their friends to expect around £1500 (they don't drive themselves)

I'm that sort of person who buys stuff by the way it looks, my dads been told to look for cars around the ~60-80k miles but can't find any within the £2k range that are decent/look good
Original post by DanKS
This came up to £1512 on insurance which i'm fine about and my parents were told by their friends to expect around £1500 (they don't drive themselves)

I'm that sort of person who buys stuff by the way it looks, my dads been told to look for cars around the ~60-80k miles but can't find any within the £2k range that are decent/look good

No point buying something that looks pretty but spends more time in the garages than on the road.
If you don't mind me asking. How is your insurance so cheap? The cheapest quote I got for a Vauxhall Corsa was £8k

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
My first car had 90k miles on it, it drives well and smoothly without any problems. After a few weeks of driving it, it seems perfectly fine. So 100k miles isn't something to worry about. However, obviously each car is different, you need to test drive the car (give it a proper test drive, not just a 5 minute lap around the street) and carefully inspect the MOT notes. It's all about the test drive, man.
Reply 6
Original post by BlackJackson
If you don't mind me asking. How is your insurance so cheap? The cheapest quote I got for a Vauxhall Corsa was £8k

Posted from TSR Mobile

I used money supermarket, I am 21 (22 in a few weeks) and just graduated and have a decent/secure job as well. I put my brother on the insurance search as well and it was near same price around £3100 for me as main driver and him as 2nd so works out about same and he's just finished college

My dads mates recommended Honda Jazz but i'm not sure, don't fond the look of the cars. 05 Vauxhall Astras are about bang on, 5dr and don't need a big boot
(edited 9 years ago)
My first car had 360,000km on the clock when I bought it. The 2nd had 90k miles when I bought it. Both ran but the 2nd had lots of issues though it being made by British Leyland probably had something to do with it.

Most people generally don't keep their first cars for that long so 100k should be fine for as long as you aren't paying over the odds for it.
Mine was 125k miles when I bought it. It's still going fine now and it only broke down once (but that's only because of a problem with the alternator but we just kept running it until it finally conked out).
Reply 9
Out of the seven cars I've owned, only one had less than 100k, and that clocked over the milestone in my possession. I've put 12k miles in 8 months on my current car, taking it from 132k to 144k and I've had very few mechanical issues, and they've been pretty simple to fix - especially considering 8-9k of those 12 were city miles so incredibly hard on the car.

If your insurance is only a hundred or so quid cheaper with the smaller engine, go for the bigger engine. You'll thank yourself in the long run. Also, the Honda Jazz is a great car, far more comfortable, reliable, and practical than an Astra!
Why don't you just buy a new car and pay monthly? That's what I did when I bought my first car earlier this year. Insurance was less than 1k too as it is an Eco car and I have no points on my licence over ten years (I'm 30).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah it's fine as long as it's been looked after.

My Nissan Micra had 140Kish on it and that was fine

My BMW 330i has 155000 on it and it seems fine so far.
Original post by Existentialgrad
Why don't you just buy a new car and pay monthly? That's what I did when I bought my first car earlier this year. Insurance was less than 1k too as it is an Eco car and I have no points on my licence over ten years (I'm 30).

Posted from TSR Mobile
u have 10 years NCD???????????????
Original post by tahmid011200
u have 10 years NCD???????????????

This thread is from 2014, check thread dates in future.

Thread closed.

Latest