The Student Room Group

Men have been marginalised in the 'lad culture' debate.

Scroll to see replies

'lad culture' is literally the worst thing ever, **** nando's
Reply 41
Original post by uuuuuhhhhhhhhhhh
'lad culture' is literally the worst thing ever, **** nando's

What about genocide, war etc?
Reply 42
Original post by PythianLegume
There's no cognitive dissonance, it's just that feminism is not a single movement.

That is true however, there is still a cognitive dissonance. Freedom to be naked etc will come with the consequence of people looking at you.
Reply 43
Original post by DiddyDec
Luckily my Uni isn't allowed to join NUS, and having seen this article I'm so glad. They are a bunch of nutters. I have never seen anything come out of the NUS and thought "that sounds like a great idea".

Why is your Uni not allowed to join NUS? Are you at Oxford as they seceded from the NUS?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by itsallfun
What about genocide, war etc?

stalin > dapper laughs
Reply 45
Original post by zippity.doodah
lad culture and "lass" culture will always exist, it will simply change forms; men and women are different and they'll never quite be the same categories of people in society. women have beauty and value as a matter of their nature, and men are, by their nature, attracted to them, while women will never share that level of attraction to men, therefore, women will be less needing to appeal and will be more submissive (more likely at least) while men will need to be more pro-active to equalise the power relationship. so you'll never have a society without gender "roles" because women are still choosing to be picky compared to men. this is why men have been the "powerful" ones during most of human history; because they had an excuse to be active and to acquire value, as women never really needed to be to the same extent.

That is a very good point. http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2007/01/hitchens200701
Why is your Uni not allowed to join NUS? Are you at Oxford as they suceeded from the NUS?

The NUS does not allow a university to join if there is an on site armoury. Which we have. Also they would stop us from doing certain activities in our SU bar.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
Original post by uuuuuhhhhhhhhhhh
stalin > dapper laughs

Stalin was a LAD in many ways. The original LAD you might say so. He was certainly very adept when it came to women.
Reply 48
The NUS does not allow a university to join if there is an on site armoury. Which we have. Also they would stop us from doing certain activities in our SU bar.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your university sounds incredibly cool. The NUS are contemptible in their mean spritied attitude.
Reply 49
Original post by Harvey Dent
I think LADs should be executed on sight.

What do you define a 'LAD' as in that case?
Reply 50
Original post by yo radical one
I don't engage in "LAD culture" because it just isn't who I am, but people need to get over it. It's a bunch of people having fun, totally harmless

I think that individual autonomy has been taken out of the equation by the NUS and so in that way they are attempting to be quite authoritiarian.
Reply 51
Original post by heavenlyphoto
ok ill change that, id give it more thought if it was,nt for the radical white male hating element.

The concern might be that the misandry of the radicals has permenated other parts of the "feminist" movement.
Your university sounds incredibly cool. The NUS are contemptible in their mean spritied attitude.

Harper Adams University is one cracking fun. The student Union fees go to funding the societies and parties. And the parties are epic.
Reply 53
Harper Adams University is one cracking fun. The student Union fees go to funding the societies and parties. And the parties are epic.

That sounds fantastic. More universities should secede from the NUS. They are self serving spoilsports.
What do you define a 'LAD' as in that case?

1. Anybody wearing a wifebeater and a flat-peak (reverse or otherwise) whilst having their trousers halfway down their arse.
2. Any skinny white kid talking like he's Lil' Wayne.
3. Anybody riding a bike that looks like it's 10 years too young for them whilst thinking they're the coolest cat on the block.
4. Anybody uttering the word "bruv" or "mate" in a non-ironic manner. Regional dialects do not count.

Feel free to add new criteria that I may have missed.
Reply 55
1. Anybody wearing a wifebeater and a flat-peak (reverse or otherwise) whilst having their trousers halfway down their arse.
3. Anybody riding a bike that looks like it's 10 years too young for them whilst thinking they're the coolest cat on the block.
4. Anybody uttering the word "bruv" or "mate" in a non-ironic manner. Regional dialects do not count.

Considering that 'LAD culture' is often middle class males adopting what are viewed as working class behaviour, perhaps "LADS" are more sophisticated than your criteria allows for?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 56

Furthermore what about ladettes?

Errrr not really, as someone else it's often middle class kids copying working class behaviour in a fairly ironic way. It's probably the result in a drastic rise of working class kids going to uni over the last 20 years.

A LAD would mutter bruv or cuz in an ironic way. Most guys use the term 'mate' anyway.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 58
Stalin was a LAD in many ways. The original LAD you might say so

Not Rasputin?
Reply 59
Original post by DanB1991
Errrr not really, as someone else it's often middle class kids copying working class behaviour in a fairly ironic way.

A LAD would mutter bruv or cuz in an ironic way. Most guys use the term 'mate' anyway.

Indeed that is my point. Certainly 'LAD's' cannot be dismissed as simply being ignorant as many are well educated. Really I think the whole thing is overstated and the NUS and others are manipulated a relatively benign situation to further their own interests.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending