The Student Room Group

Engineering at Cambridge?

So this is my first time using TSR and I have a question. I've heard so many thing regarding admission to cambridge ( like needing 70% A* to be even considered etc.). I'm currently taking my AS exams and study Maths,Further maths,Physics,chemistry and electronics. I thoroughly enjoy these subjects and I'm expected to achieve 5 A ( hopefully!). My GCSEs were:

Physics A*
Maths A
Chemistry A*
Biology A*
Eng lang A
Eng Lit B
Business A
History B
Art A
German C

Would my GCSEs put me at a great disadvantage, provided I achieve my projected grades. Any responses would be greatly appreciated.
Your GCSEs would not put you at much of a disadvantage. You should be aiming for around 95% UMS across Maths, FM & Physics.
Reply 2
Original post by PythianLegume
Your GCSEs would not put you at much of a disadvantage. You should be aiming for around 95% UMS across Maths, FM & Physics.

That's what I'm hoping but would solid 90s do the trick? ( obviously with a good personal statement etc.)
Original post by AbdulA1996
That's what I'm hoping but would solid 90s do the trick? ( obviously with a good personal statement etc.)

Well Cambridge look at your whole application. UMS and interview performance are probably the 2 most important (practically everyone has a good personal statement). To have a realistic chance at Engineering, you'll need at least 90% in those 3 subjects, and to have a good chance, you'll want around 95%.
Reply 4
Original post by PythianLegume
Well Cambridge look at your whole application. UMS and interview performance are probably the 2 most important (practically everyone has a good personal statement). To have a realistic chance at Engineering, you'll need at least 90% in those 3 subjects, and to have a good chance, you'll want around 95%.

Okay, Thanks for the advice!:smile:

Given that the average UMS of a successful applicant is 96%, 90% is not going to look good. It won't exclude you, but engineering is one of Cambridge's most competitive departments.
Reply 6
Original post by Chlorophile
Given that the average UMS of a successful applicant is 96%, 90% is not going to look good. It won't exclude you, but engineering is one of Cambridge's most competitive departments.

Yes, I heard that engineering is one of the "harder subjects" to get into. Hopefully I can gain at least 95 UMS in maths and further maths and chemistry and 100 UMS in physics and electronics.

Is it true that the average successful applicant has at least 3 A* at A2?
Yes, I heard that engineering is one of the "harder subjects" to get into. Hopefully I can gain at least 95 UMS in maths and further maths and chemistry and 100 UMS in physics and electronics.

Is it true that the average successful applicant has at least 3 A* at A2?

I know for a fact that it's true for Trinity College and I wouldn't be surprised if it's true for the University as a whole. Remember that the minimum offer is A*A*A, so 3 A*s are not particularly exceptional in that context.
i suggest you do some other stuff on the side, physics challenge/Olympiad etc
Reply 9
Original post by Ilovemaths96
i suggest you do some other stuff on the side, physics challenge/Olympiad etc

Okay Thanks, I do robotics at a club in my school an we've quite well in that ( we came 1st and 2nd in the Secondary Rescue A competition and represented the UK in the World Championships of Junior RoboCup 2013, which was being held in Eindhoven, Netherlands.:tongue:)
Reply 10
Original post by Chlorophile
I know for a fact that it's true for Trinity College and I wouldn't be surprised if it's true for the University as a whole. Remember that the minimum offer is A*A*A, so 3 A*s are not particularly exceptional in that context.

I see, I'll try my best to achieve an average of 95 in my 3 best then. Would admission tutors ignore the 5th AS ( electronics) if it was below 95 UMS?
I see, I'll try my best to achieve an average of 95 in my 3 best then. Would admission tutors ignore the 5th AS ( electronics) if it was below 95 UMS?

The average UMS is taken across your 3 most relevant subjects. So yes, they wouldn't take electronics into account.

Quick Reply

Latest