The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aeuronautics
Well not really, he has origins from Africa but also has origins from Europe. So he is a mixture I don't really know what category in terms of ethnic origin, I suppose you could just say of mixed origins but yeah he's not really African or English (European)

I think the other anonymous guy in the above post was more accurate :/

That was me. I posted two posts and didn't realize they were anonymous. Couldn't edit them though.
Original post by Anonymous
That was me. I posted two posts and didn't realize they were anonymous. Couldn't edit them though.

Okay I did it again. Didn't mean for those to be anonymous.

Ahh OK, so an individual belongs to the ethnic origin in which they have the highest percentage of. So in this case, this person is African. But what if someone was half and half or a quarter African, would they still be African? I'm confused. But yes I'm aware that nobody is of a pure origin source
Reply 63
So I'm a middle class teenager who is three quartres black and a quarter

My mother is half white and half black, her father is black and her mother is white (British). My father is black (African) I don't really know him and so I'm much more tied to my mothers side.

I don't associate with black British as I dislike their style and don't consider myself black. I also live in a middle-class area and so there aren't many blacks of whom I can associate with anyway. I feel that I fit in with white people better.

My skin colour is sort of average black, so obviously I look quite black. However my hair isn't as coarse as the average black British African and it is wavy/ straight when short ( sort of Asian) and so I am able to apply hair products which black people don't use; such as matt clay, texture gum and styling gel.

I personally consider myself white as I believe if you white in you then you're white. Why not? Some people who are quarter black consider themselves as black.. My grandmother is an original white English person, so I feel quite white and English.

I know that the actual category for me would be mixed race in all honesty and i can accept that. I'm interested to know if people consider an individual who is three quarter black as black or mixed.

You're black. Love it, embrace it. Most blacks outside of Africa have some kind of European ancestry but unless it's noticeable (ie, Drake) you can't really reject the "black" tag (and even then, you're a light-skinned black person).

You will never be white. You will never be one of them. Their history is not yours, they look at you and see an "other", and no matter how moneyed, well-spoken or successful you are, there are many of them who would not want you to marry into the family. Rejecting your own identity and heritage will not make you belong or in any way superior to other blacks, whatever their "style" or postcode or hair texture.
Original post by Aeuronautics
Ahh OK, so an individual belongs to the ethnic origin in which they have the highest percentage of. So in this case, this person is African. But what if someone was half and half or a quarter African, would they still be African? I'm confused. But yes I'm aware that nobody is of a pure origin source

I think the guy is trying to say that I am African and even if i was three quarters English I would still be African; which isn't true.
Lol, OP do you not like black people?

You can identify as white but people will always see you as black or mixed.

Get over it. It's not a bad thing. And there are now lots of opportunities for people of colour.

Also not all blacks act the same, that's like saying all whites do.

Lets say that Josie Cunningham girl and I don't know, Kate Middleton. Couldn't be more different but both have white skin.

Yo, being a certain colour doesn't make you behave or be a certain way.
I think the guy is trying to say that I am African and even if i was three quarters English I would still be African; which isn't true.

If you were 1/10th English, you would still be part English. You don't have to pick between the two. You are African. You are also English.
So I'm a middle class teenager who is three quartres black and a quarter

My mother is half white and half black, her father is black and her mother is white (British). My father is black (African) I don't really know him and so I'm much more tied to my mothers side.

I don't associate with black British as I dislike their style and don't consider myself black. I also live in a middle-class area and so there aren't many blacks of whom I can associate with anyway. I feel that I fit in with white people better.

My skin colour is sort of average black, so obviously I look quite black. However my hair isn't as coarse as the average black British African and it is wavy/ straight when short ( sort of Asian) and so I am able to apply hair products which black people don't use; such as matt clay, texture gum and styling gel.

I personally consider myself white as I believe if you white in you then you're white. Why not? Some people who are quarter black consider themselves as black.. My grandmother is an original white English person, so I feel quite white and English.

I know that the actual category for me would be mixed race in all honesty and i can accept that. I'm interested to know if people consider an individual who is three quarter black as black or mixed.

Duh you're mixed race.
The fact that this is anon makes me think it's an elaborate, very pointless troll but... idno.
I actually know what you mean by considering yourself white, I think. But it's stupid. I understand though. That middle-classy, very English, thing?
People are racist, whether they realise it, whether they like it, or not. A quarter-black person, to many is still "black", and so you, to many, would be "black" although you aren't.

Buuut, who cares? It's just skin colour. It's like people with blondey-ginger hair and some people will say they're blonde, and some ginger. Or grey-green eyes, the same again. It's literally just a colour.
Original post by anonymouspie227
And there are now lots of opportunities for people of colour.

... "people of colour"? Lulz.
And "there are lots of opportunities", comes across as rather belittling and patronising tbh...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by bananaminion
... "people of colour"? Lulz.
And "there are lots of opportunities", comes across as rather belittling and patronising tbh...

Chill your tits.
What's wrong with POC? We use WOC all the time.

And how the **** does there are loads of opportunities come of as belittling and patronising?!
There are!! Black people are treated (mostly) like human beings in this day, and so it shouldn't be seen as negative to be black.

I'm trying to show op, that being black shouldn't be disadvantageous for her.

Plus there are loads of schemes that help black and minority students, who may not have all the oppurtunities!

How about you stop being so patronising, yourself. And acting like you're the voice of black people, because you're not. We can think for ourselves.

And fyi, im black. So gtfo.
I think another issue i have is that so many people call mixed raced people black, in comparison to the amount of people who call mixed race people white. So it is as though you're being forced in to believing you are black and embracing this whilst being denied the opportunity to embrace your white side in society. So it would be partially a mixed raced persons' defence mechanism and curiosity to identify themselves as black. Because why not? why is it any better to identify as black than as white.

It's just my personal thing. To be honest if someone called me white I would say I'm actually mixed raced. If more people classed me as mixed race and not black, then I wouldn't have the same personal opinion. I would be a lot happier.

I suppose if everyone called me white and not mixed-race, then I would be offended. The point is that might never happenings by the looks of things. There is this ridiculous notion that if you have black in you, you are black and that the concept mixed-race isn't taken seriously.

So I suppose the motive of sometimes calling myself white is to make people think, if you can call me black then you may as well call me white. What's the difference?. ( yes obviously I am biologically more black than white) but socially, what makes a mixed race person more black than white?

Most people on this thread have accepted that I am mixed-race and neither black or white, but the society I live in has a problem with accepting that I am mixed race and not black. I am very thankful of this, it means a lot to be accepted as what I am.

I really don't have a self-hate issue, I just have an issue with people not accepting that I am mixed-race. So that is really my point. I am not ashamed of having white and black ethnic origins, I just have a problem with being called something I am not.

Yesyesyesyesyes all of this. So so true (fellow mixed race person :biggrin:)
Reply 71
obviously your still mixed but being 75% black means you will look similar to a fully black person. i would consider you mixed because 25% is significant even if you look fully black, and because you feel white.
Chill your tits.
What's wrong with POC? We use WOC all the time.

And how the **** does there are loads of opportunities come of as belittling and patronising?!
There are!! Black people are treated (mostly) like human beings in this day, and so it shouldn't be seen as negative to be black.

I'm trying to show op, that being black shouldn't be disadvantageous for her.

Plus there are loads of schemes that help black and minority students, who may not have all the oppurtunities!

How about you stop being so patronising, yourself. And acting like you're the voice of black people, because you're not. We can think for ourselves.

And fyi, im black. So gtfo.

Woahwoahwoah why are you being so aggressive?!
I wasn't sure if you were black, I thought you might be but didn't say anything either way...
I literally wrote like 1 sentence and I'm acting like I'm the voice of black people?! I'm not even black.

Saying "lots of opportunities" implies that there are some stuff that is still out-of-reach, which I don't believe is true.
And finally, op isn't black.

I am really confused as to why you came at me like that.
Woahwoahwoah why are you being so aggressive?!
I wasn't sure if you were black, I thought you might be but didn't say anything either way...
I literally wrote like 1 sentence and I'm acting like I'm the voice of black people?! I'm not even black.

Saying "lots of opportunities" implies that there are some stuff that is still out-of-reach, which I don't believe is true.
And finally, op isn't black.

I am really confused as to why you came at me like that.

Oh, so because I'm black it's aggressive.
"I came at you" really?
Reread my first post.
Duh you're mixed race.
The fact that this is anon makes me think it's an elaborate, very pointless troll but... idno.
I actually know what you mean by considering yourself white, I think. But it's stupid. I understand though. That middle-classy, very English, thing?
People are racist, whether they realise it, whether they like it, or not. A quarter-black person, to many is still "black", and so you, to many, would be "black" although you aren't.

Buuut, who cares? It's just skin colour. It's like people with blondey-ginger hair and some people will say they're blonde, and some ginger. Or grey-green eyes, the same again. It's literally just a colour.

I just wanted to put it out there as some white middle-class people ( may think I am of full African origin) and think that Africans are a bit backwards, which is a little bit true but that's due to many political issues etc. I'm of mixed heritage though so this doesn't entirely apply to me. I'm not a troll a teenager questioning the way society appears to work. It is stupid of me, but people calling me black is also stupid.

Thank you for accepting that I am mixed-race, that's all I need. Just to be accepted for what I am. But you're right, it shouldn't matter. An individual should enjoy life and do what ever they feel comfortable doing, society is just ridiculous and you will always get judged for something :smile:
Oh, so because I'm black it's aggressive.
"I came at you" really?
Reread my first post.

Are you actually being serious?
I actually agree with your first post, I only quoted one sentence out of it all, I was just scrolling and saw that and thought it looked a bit off.
Yes, I wasn't rude or aggressive or anything when I quoted you and then you go off on one. That's coming at me in my book.
I actually agree with your first post, I only quoted one sentence out of it all, I was just scrolling and saw that and thought it looked a bit off.
Yes, I wasn't rude or aggressive or anything when I quoted you and then you go off on
one. That's coming at me in my book.

Lets not pretend, your reply was pretty bitchy and intended to be a put down.
So, i replied. That's it. Then, you start stereotyping and saying that all black people are aggressive and will come at you.
I can't believe that people like you still exist in 2014.

I thought we were past all the black people behave this way kinda thing, but i guess not.
(edited 9 years ago)
I would just say you are mixed. I am the opposite (my mums mixed and my dad is white) and i just say i'm mixed whenever someone asks me or i am filling out a form :redface:

Lets not pretend, your reply was pretty bitchy and intended to be a put down.
So, i replied. That's it. Then, you start stereotyping and saying that all black people are aggressive and will come at you.
I can't believe that people like you still exist in 2014.

I thought we were past all the black people behave this way kinda thing, but i guess not.

100% not bitchy and not intended to be a put down, I'm sorry if it came across that way but I honestly don't see, rereading the few words there are up there, how it is.
I start stereotyping? Honestly, if you weren't welcome squad and that I'd say that you were trolling/ trying to pick a fight by pulling the race card and accusing me of stereotyping when, if you read what I wrote, I didn't.
ok this is silly, bye
Yes, I wasn't rude or aggressive or anything when I quoted you and then you go off on one. That's coming at me in my book.

Your post was clearly bitchy. Grow up.

Latest

Trending

Trending