The Student Room Group

Why do people still pay for music

Scroll to see replies

I stream on Spotify Premium so everytime I listen to a song a record company/artist gets paid. If you think itunes is a rip, check out the prices on Beatport! http://www.beatport.com/
Reply 81
Original post by AngelPhys
BECAUSE OF DARUDE- SANDSTORM! Lol.

What's that song called?
Original post by ndella
what's that song called?

naruto- ninjastorm!
Reply 83
Original post by AngelPhys
naruto- ninjastorm!

Really? Someone just told me it was Sarude - Dandstorm :wink:
no thanks jeff LOL
Original post by K_o_46
Due to the increasing advancement of the Internet, it's become easier and easier to download music for free.
Despite this, you still see songs selling over a million downloads on iTunes charged at near £1 per copy when there are many websites that offer these same songs free of charge. If you think about that, someone may have a 2000 song library on their phone so would have "wasted" around £2000 that could have been used for something better like paying their bills.

I would like to know who and why you pay for your music if you do so

Nope, songs on iTunes used to cost 69p. Also, you have to take into account that someone having 2000 songs in their library will have taken several years to get all the songs. And it is not exactly wasted, especially when one listens to the music and enjoys it.
Original post by Jordooooom
Just a dad seems like a morally upright dick.

We download for free because can.

I'll stream movies because I can.

At the end of the day, it isn't the most heinous crime

It is still a crime...
I can't really justify spending hundreds of pounds on iTunes downloads any more. But I love collecting CDs and records. As long as something physical is attached to whatever music I'm buying, I'm more than happy to put down the money for it.
Original post by EatAndRevise
It is still a crime...

And your point is?
Original post by ChickenMadness
they make money from a lot more things than just selling tracks. They get payed thousands just to show up to certain events.

I don't know of any definitive "they" list, but I'm pretty sure that not all artists get paid thousands for just turning up to events.
Original post by ChickenMadness
A lot of them do. Thats how they establish themselves. See "no copyright sounds on" youtube. Loads of artists giving away music for free.

As I said before, no-one has any issue downloading music for free when the artist approves.
I buy from iTunes quite a lot, not because I have overwhelming moral qualms about downloading it for free, but because it's just easier. It downloads quickly and is of decent quality and I don't need to search around the internet.
Reply 92
Original post by just a dad
Out of interest, what would happen to the music industry if everyone was able to consume it for free?

There would still be money. All industries have to deal with globalisation. For example the IT industry domestically has suffered due to out-sourcing. Domestic workers had to evolve and become more technical to keep being employable.
Original post by minimarshmallow
If people paid to come and see my photographs, I'd be happy to give them a digital copy for their memory stick to take away - provided of course they didn't try and claim it was their photograph and make money off it (a problem I imagine the music industry wouldn't have very often). I'd even start by showing them to people for free, or letting them have a digital copy to print off themselves, because then they'll want to come and see them.
Similar situation to downloading and then coming to gigs/buying merch.

Additionally, if they wanted to take home a printed copy, then they'd pay to cover the production costs (plus a little bit in it for me for the trouble of getting that printed copy), similar to buying a physical CD with the booklet.

Presumably you would want to control the distribution and cost of your efforts? As opposed to being told that it is in your interests to allow unfettered and free access?
Original post by elohssa
There would still be money. All industries have to deal with globalisation. For example the IT industry domestically has suffered due to out-sourcing. Domestic workers had to evolve and become more technical to keep being employable.

Did that involve domestic workers not being paid for their work?
Reply 95
Did that involve domestic workers not being paid for their work?

Essentially yes. Those who did not learn new skills lost employment as anything that's not too complex could easily be out-sourced.
Original post by elohssa
Essentially yes. Those who did not learn new skills lost employment as anything that's not too complex could easily be out-sourced.

Perhaps I'm getting confused, but you seem to be advocating that artists retrain and become, say, plumbers to ensure that they get paid for their services.
Or do I have that wrong?
Reply 97
Perhaps I'm getting confused, but you seem to be advocating that artists retrain and become, say, plumbers to ensure that they get paid for their services.
Or do I have that wrong?

No, they learn to adapt to a world where revenue does not come from selling albums.
The only time I pay is if it's a charity single OR a musician that is not famous and rich.
Daf*q why would I pay Lil Wayne if in every other song he's shoving his wealth in my face? Makes no sense. Also £1 per song is ridiculous, I get bored of songs very easily and 20 songs = £20! I have hundreds of songs it would cost be as much!
Reply 99
It doesn't make sense that people say they pay for their music to support their artists. It's not like the most popular ones are not already vastly rich or that they support their fans or some don't even support charities

Quick Reply

Latest