The Student Room Group

I got a D

I got a D in art.......Would or should this stop me from applying to Oxbridge?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They won't want your D.
Reply 2
Neither do I.
Original post by lor771
They won't want your D.

Come to think of it who would?
Original post by Arketec

Hehe:colone:
If it was a C , and unrelated to your degree than maybe.
Original post by Arketec

Well it depends which course you want to do and your circumstances.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
I feel awful but I have extenuating circumstances but never applied for them whilst on the course. Would universities listen to me if I told them about my circumstances?
Is it GCSE?

if so they won't care

If it's A level, then they usually won't care unless your other 3 are A*A*A/A*AA
Yeah as long as your other grades are better! A levels are much more important though, and anyway, if you're not doing fine art, they won't care much for it as it's not a core or important subject (for your degree).
Don't listen to some of the TSR people, they will tell you you're a failure even if you have good grades because they're not perfection.
Reply 9
They don't want your D
Reply 10
The problem is I want to study architecture.
Just try. Obviously do some research and look up some requirements. Most courses at Oxbridge require at least A*AA at A-level.
to be honest, if you want architecture then oxbridge is out of your league, maybe you could re-take? do an art foundation after college to make up for it? You'll need to shoot real high for a-level grades if you want to get past this bump. I'm just being real - my friend got a C in history AS and applied for it at Oxford, she wound up getting to the interview stage though. All is not lost, but don't set your sights too high

hope this didn't sound too harsh, you can still get into a bunch of really good unis with that (provided you show you can do it at a-level)
Reply 13
Original post by marm-alade
to be honest, if you want architecture then oxbridge is out of your league, maybe you could re-take? do an art foundation after college to make up for it? You'll need to shoot real high for a-level grades if you want to get past this bump. I'm just being real - my friend got a C in history AS and applied for it at Oxford, she wound up getting to the interview stage though. All is not lost, but don't set your sights too high

hope this didn't sound too harsh, you can still get into a bunch of really good unis with that (provided you show you can do it at a-level)

I'm going to e-mail the college and see what they think of me doing my a levels and then doing a foundation course in art. I also have extenuating circumstances which I didn't apply for but can explain to them.
Original post by Arketec
I'm going to e-mail the college and see what they think of me doing my a levels and then doing a foundation course in art. I also have extenuating circumstances which I didn't apply for but can explain to them.

Okay - I hope it all works out for you
Reply 15
Original post by marm-alade
Okay - I hope it all works out for you

Thanks. :smile:
It could be worse, it could be a D in a real subject.
I'd have a look at Durham instead Oxbridge is out of your reach now, jim
Reply 18
https://s3.amazonaws.com/sitecdn/quotepictures-cdn/uploads/Life-is-so-much-funnier-when-you-have-a-dirty-mind1.jpg

On a more serious note, I'm sorry for your D. :frown:
Reply 19
Well I e-mailed Cambridge to see what they thought about it. Maybe I'll get a reply, maybe I wont.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending