The Student Room Group

What is the point of a tablet?

Ok so, a huge chunk of people only buy tablets, like the iPad for example because they're sheep. But what exactly is the point in them, what can you do on a tablet that you can't do on a smartphone or laptop? The only thing I can think of is if you want to watch movies/tv shows on a long distance journey.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ddtown
Ok so, a huge chunk of people only buy tablets, like the iPad for example because they're sheep. But what exactly is the point in them, what can you do on a tablet that you can't do on a smartphone or laptop? The only thing I can think of is if you want to watch movies/tv shows on a long distance journey.

More usable than a laptop. Bigger than an iPhone
Reply 2
Original post by TheAnusFiles
More usable than a laptop. Bigger than an iPhone

Pretty much this.

They're more portable and easier to use as long as you're not planning to do some heavy processing. There's also the advantage of the app market and the touch-screen "cool" factor.

Having said that, I doubt I'll ever buy a tablet. Laptops FTW! :colonhash:
Reply 3
Tablets are a gimmick. Basically, for some unknown reason, people seem really into them. People are like sheep, they love to blindly follow trends.

How on earth is a tablet more usable than a laptop?!?! That makes no sense. In this day and age, laptops are so thin, so light and so tiny, you can take them anywhere and use them wherever. Long gone are the days of heavy, thick laptops. I've seen notebooks that are so incredibly tiny and featherweight. So how on earth is a tablet more usable than a laptop? What's the advantage of not having a keyboard and not being able to sit on a flat surface??

Tablets just don't make any sense. I can understand the point of a smart phone - fits in your pocket, can be used to make phone calls and for instant messaging, access to internet (e.g. for checking emails). It's a pocket-sized, portable device. But a tablet? What on earth is the point? Why not use a laptop which is the same size, weight and dimensions as a tablet except it has much more functionality (keyboard, ability to connect external usb devices, access to microsoft office etc etc)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Stinkum
Tablets are a gimmick. Basically, for some unknown reason, people seem really into them. People are like sheep, they love to blindly follow trends.

How on earth is a tablet more usable than a laptop?!?! That makes no sense. In this day and age, laptops are so thin, so light and so tiny, you can take them anywhere and use them wherever. How on earth is a tablet more usable than a laptop?

Tablets just don't make any sense. I can understand the point of a smart phone - fits in your pocket, can be used to make phone calls and for instant messaging, access to internet (e.g. for checking emails). It's a pocket-sized, portable device. But a tablet? What on earth is the point? Why not use a laptop which is the same size, weight and dimensions as a tablet except it has much more functionality (keyboard, ability to connect external usb devices, access to microsoft office etc etc)

Rich companies ripping off dumb people, Laptop all the way.
Reply 5
Original post by layahudi
Rich companies ripping off dumb people, Laptop all the way.

there's literally no point of a tablet!!!
Reply 6
My thoughts exactly.

I have a Desktop
Laptop
Android Phone
Smart TV with web browser

Why do I need a Tablet too? Just so I can say I've got one too? No thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I personally never got the appeal in owning a tablet. And I don't get why one would choose to use it over a phone or a laptop.
Reply 8
Original post by Stinkum
there's literally no point of a tablet!!!

I have always thought that, glad i'm not the only one, if people want to get ripped off why should anyone else give a toss lol
It bridges the gap between a touch screen smart phone and a laptop.
Reply 10
Original post by ddtown

Accessibility.
- The fact that young and old can easily use tablets.
- Easy to travel with on trains/planes/car journeys.
- The fact they're now being used as POS and used in businesses for reserving tables/booking appointments.

List goes on and on tbh. Incredible invention.
People are getting more pathetic by the day, so laptops are becoming too heavy when they can sacrifice functionality to half the weight.
Original post by Mr Smurf
It bridges the gap between a touch screen smart phone and a laptop.

and if you've got a smartphone and a massive 'laptop' ( cad / gaming / big screen ) or desktop they cover a gap nicely
To get from and to University, I have to travel quite a distance on the bus (1 Hour)

A tablet provides good means for me to study while I'm travelling. I'm constantly exposed to the material that way. A laptop can provide the same, however that'd require a separate bag. With the tablet, it fits perfectly in my shoulder bag. :smile:

EDIT: I could use a smartphone, but many file formats aren't supported. Furthermore I find video quality better and easier to see, due to the larger screen. Most of my studies involve videos.
(edited 9 years ago)
It's better to watch videos on.
Easy to handle and more portable
easier to use .
Cheaper as you can get tablets for £99
People love to have the latest gadgets. I don't think I need an iPad but I still want one because they're sleek and look good.
Original post by Technetium
People love to have the latest gadgets. I don't think I need an iPad but I still want one because they're sleek and look good.

that's like the worst reason to want something lol
Original post by + polarity -
that's like the worst reason to want something lol

Actually, what kicked off the desire was this gorgeous iPad case I saw. I then fantasized about whipping out my iPad in lectures with said case enclosed around it.:rolleyes: :colondollar:

Now that's worse.
Original post by Technetium
Actually, what kicked off the desire was this gorgeous iPad case I saw. I then fantasized about whipping out my iPad in lectures with said case enclosed around it.:rolleyes: :colondollar:

Now that's worse.

:pain:
Clash of clans...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending