The Student Room Group

Which graduates are most likely to make 50k+ in their careers?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by de_monies
CCNP? There definitely will be. It's a lot to do with experience. Looking at real jobs (and not just "Oh look they get paid x" )

Breakdown of wages:

http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/jobs/uk/ccnp.do

Yeah, Let's just say they have over 20 years of experience and one of the best at what they do, just pointing out you're being way too optimistic

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SerLorasTyrell
Yeah, Let's just say they have over 20 years of experience and one of the best at what they do, just pointing out you're being way too optimistic

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh no.I know full well what to expect :tongue:

I know that IT relies pretty damn heavily on experience!

Straight after uni, I expect around 22K - I'm not naive enough to believe I'll be on 45K straight off...
Original post by alevelzzz
Take this guy's advice over mine.
BTW, just wondering, why is QMUL so low?

In honesty, I'd probably rank QMUL exactly with Exeter, maybe even a little more not sure. There isn't much in it between those unis though. Just had to put it somewhere :tongue:. But from what I've seen, Nottingham has a somewhat noticeable advantage over Exeter/QMUL.

To the person who asked the question though, try and get into the top three listed on the previous post, it will help you so much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SloaneRanger
Schools apart, when you have to explain to certain ignorant employers about soton, compared to KCL or UCL. In the city you do get ignorant HR people, but straight away people have heard where I go to now or been. To be fair Soton was a doss, compared to KCL.

True, but it's actually one of the best in Engineering and much better than KCL for those courses. What course did you do at KCL and Soton?
Reply 364
Original post by Jammy Duel
Well, since you seem to have no interest in offering the explanation for what UI am, clearly, missing why should I believe there is any point at all? How do I know you aren't trolling?

Good question.
Original post by Dilzo999
True, but it's actually one of the best in Engineering and much better than KCL for those courses. What course did you do at KCL and Soton?

BA Geography at KCL and Politics at Soton.

Straight after uni, I expect around 22K - I'm not naive enough to believe I'll be on 45K straight off...

My brother is, I believe, on £40k and he graduated last year. He'd already been working for the same company on a part time basis, though. :smile:
Connections are very important!
Original post by BlackMagicV
My brother is, I believe, on £40k and he graduated last year. He'd already been working for the same company on a part time basis, though. :smile:

Ah fair enough.I feel reasonably confident in networking atm, any way, because I've got a massive company name on my CV now :biggrin:
This thread is basically a competition to brag whose on more salary and then try and justify why. Bit silly really.

Thats realistic and probably slightly more with bonuses. Grads in the IT industry 1st/2nd line jobs ive seen as low as £18k but high end £24k.
Original post by BlackMagicV

Meet the taxman when you get £40k your only seeing like £30k take home. Its depressing, when I look at my paycheck, then divide that by 12. Looking at the bigger context its not that great.

Unless you work for one of the top firms, you really wont make much as a solicitor.
Reply 373
Original post by KindofGood
This thread is basically a competition to brag whose on more salary and then try and justify why. Bit silly really.

Was it ever likely to be anything else?
Unless you work for one of the top firms, you really wont make much as a solicitor.

That's why you work for one of the top firms.

If we're talking £50k, then that's really not that much. Most commercial solicitors (i.e top 100 or so firms) will hit at 50k during their career in law.
Original post by Cutmeloose
That's why you work for one of the top firms.

If we're talking £50k, then that's really not that much. Most commercial solicitors (i.e top 100 or so firms) will hit at 50k during their career in law.

At some point during their career, yes. Earning 50k is a lot if you're a relatively new grad, not if you have experience in a field.
A dentist with 1/2 years is on ~60k, thats a lot. A solicitor who doesn't work for one of the top firms will take a while to see 50k, especially outside of London
Original post by KindofGood

The vast majority of posters aren't on any salary at all, mostly undergrads and sixth form students.

Posted from TSR Mobile
At some point during their career, yes. Earning 50k is a lot if you're a relatively new grad, not if you have experience in a field.
A dentist with 1/2 years is on ~60k, thats a lot. A solicitor who doesn't work for one of the top firms will take a while to see 50k, especially outside of London

There are around 100 firms (US and UK) where you'll probably push or exceed £50k within a couple of years of qualifying as a solicitor.

That's a fairly high figure.
Original post by ElChapo
The vast majority of posters aren't on any salary at all, mostly undergrads and sixth form students.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then its a competition over their father's salary :tongue: (or mother's, or both parents, whatever the relevant case might be)

Where the hell did you get 60k for 1/2 year experience in dentistry? After you graduate your starting salary would be 20~29k, for you to be able to get that said 60k benchmark you need to have at least 10 years of exprience or increase your Band if you want to work in NHS, still more schooling and exams. Where did you get your references to get these amount?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending