The Student Room Group

TSA doing 5/3/1.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TSA

Was a very warm they today so sweat a lot so probably a little dehydrated.

If your are thirsty your dehydrated
Original post by ronmack
If your are thirsty your dehydrated

I know.
Just finished creating a spreadsheet on workouts for the next 6 months on 5/3/1. Will be heading to the gym tomorrow to get 1rep maxes.
Reply 63
Original post by TSA
Just finished creating a spreadsheet on workouts for the next 6 months on 5/3/1. Will be heading to the gym tomorrow to get 1rep maxes.

I have a spreadsheet (taken from Brandon Campbell) for 531, I'll try and dig it out and link you with Dropbox

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Squirb
I have a spreadsheet (taken from Brandon Campbell) for 531, I'll try and dig it out and link you with Dropbox

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've done it now, only productive thing I've done all summer. Thanks for the offer though.
Went to the gym today to see if I can check my 1RM but it was closed, no warning or anything just a note on the door saying "Sorry lads, closed for the day, open usual hours tomorrow" So going to have to go in next week. Will be doing a reload week at 70% of my usual weight, but will also be working to find out my 1RM
Original post by TSA
Went to the gym today to see if I can check my 1RM but it was closed, no warning or anything just a note on the door saying "Sorry lads, closed for the day, open usual hours tomorrow" So going to have to go in next week. Will be doing a reload week at 70% of my usual weight, but will also be working to find out my 1RM

Maybe this was the universe telling you to stick with a beginner routine.
Original post by Appeal to reason

Or it could have just been closed because the owner was busy.
Original post by TSA
Or it could have just been closed because the owner was busy.

That too.
Original post by Appeal to reason

Das it mane

This guy knows

:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Angry cucumber
Das it mane

This guy knows

:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've been making no progress on SS for a while now, I'd rather make extremely so progress even if it's 2.5kg a month over no progress.

Anyway just got back from the gym and worked out my training maxes for 5/3/1 for the squat and OHP and did DL @ 60%. Going to work out TM for Bench and DL on Wednesday and do squat @60%. And Friday do everything at 60%.

And hopefully the final day of Ramadan is on Sunday so I can start my new workout on Monday.
So I followed the book to work out my training maxes.

Calculated my 1RM

Took 80% of that weight and did as many reps as I could with the new calculated weight.

Put the figures into this equation

Weight x Reps x .0333 + Weight = Estimated 1RM

Squat 102.5kg for 7 reps = Estimated 1RM is 124kg so training max is 90% of that which is 111kg so will round down and use my training max as 110kg.

OHP 35kg for 8 reps = Estimated 1 RM is 43kg so training max is 90% of that which is 38kg so will round down and use 37.5kg as my training max.

Squat training max = 110kg

OHP training max = 37.5kg
I hit my personal records 4 days ago, Bare in mind, I'm cutting at the minute so lost some strength but... my 1 rep max stats are,

Bench press max - 130kg,
Deadlift max - 180kg,
Squat max - 160kg
If you're bored of SS, I'd say move on if you want tbh. No point in doing it if it's stopping you from enjoying lifting - that's what made me finally switch to OL training.

If you're just frustrated with lack of progress, try adding in an active recovery day for your squat? So light 2x5 squats on your middle day, or 3x3 front squats. Might be that you've gotten to the point where you're exceeding your capacity for recovery at 3x5 3x/wk

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
If you're bored of SS, I'd say move on if you want tbh. No point in doing it if it's stopping you from enjoying lifting - that's what made me finally switch to OL training.

If you're just frustrated with lack of progress, try adding in an active recovery day for your squat? So light 2x5 squats on your middle day, or 3x3 front squats. Might be that you've gotten to the point where you're exceeding your capacity for recovery at 3x5 3x/wk

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it was both, I am pretty bored of starting strength and frustrated with the lack of progress. Maybe this mentality results in me not being able to give a 100%.
Reading up on 5 3 1 makes me feel genuinely a little excited to start the programme and hope it will translate into me being able to give more mentally and therefore physically, helping me with my ultimate goal to become stronger.
Original post by TSA
I think it was both, I am pretty bored of starting strength and frustrated with the lack of progress. Maybe this mentality results in me not being able to give a 100%.
Reading up on 5 3 1 makes me feel genuinely a little excited to start the programme and hope it will translate into me being able to give more mentally and therefore physically, helping me with my ultimate goal to become stronger.

Go ahead then, man. If you don't enjoy lifting when you're strength training, then there's no point in it! 5/3/1 is a bit advanced for you ATM like others have said - but if you're excited then I say go for it. Maybe try a weekly progression like TM, the SS modification I put above, or even a modified 5x5 if you're frustrated by the slow gains/lack of gains.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just got back from the gym.

Squat @ 60%

Benched for 50 x 10

DL 110 x 8

Need to put those numbers into the calc to find my 1RM and then used 90% of that as TM.
Original post by TSA
So I followed the book to work out my training maxes.

Calculated my 1RM

Took 80% of that weight and did as many reps as I could with the new calculated weight.

Put the figures into this equation

Weight x Reps x .0333 + Weight = Estimated 1RM

Squat 102.5kg for 7 reps = Estimated 1RM is 124kg so training max is 90% of that which is 111kg so will round down and use my training max as 110kg.

OHP 35kg for 8 reps = Estimated 1 RM is 43kg so training max is 90% of that which is 38kg so will round down and use 37.5kg as my training max.

Squat training max = 110kg

OHP training max = 37.5kg

you're doing 5/3/1 now? nice
Original post by AreebWithaHat
you're doing 5/3/1 now? nice

Well starting Monday, I've worked out my training maxes (90% of 1RM), which I've completely forgot to update so will do now, and Friday will just be a de-load workout, and then hit Monday with 5/3/1.
So training maxes and 1RM are as follows

Squat TM 110kg (1RM = 124kg)

OHP TM 38kg (1RM = 43kg)

Bench TM 65kg (1RM = 73kg)

DL TM 122.5kg (1RM = 137kg)

Quick Reply

Latest