The Student Room Group

Probability of getting cancer?

Does anyone have any idea what are the chances of getting cancer at the age of ~21 years old?
Is it something like 1:40000, or more like 1:200?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No idea.. Is this your fear or you have some symptoms??

My sister and few friends are doctor.. I can let you know later..

Though I have fear that in future I will be suffering from cancer.. :frown: Recently a friend topd me that 4rth stage cancer can also be cured now... :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Shruti21
No idea.. Is this your fear or you have some symptoms??

My sister and few friends are doctor.. I can let you know later..

Though I have fear that in future I will be suffering from cancer.. :frown: Recently a friend topd me that 4rth stage cancer can also be cured now... :smile:

No, I don't have it or any symptoms (that I know of anyway), but I'm just curious as to the possibility.
Seems it's not as uncommon as I once thought it was to get it at a young age. :/
Reply 3
It's estimated that 1/3 people will be diagnosed with some form of cancer during their lifetime.

The likeliness of having cancer probably stays roughly the same from when you are born until when you die, because whilst some cancers are more likely at a certain age, some are also less likely.

1 in 3 is a high statistic, yes, but 4 in 10 cancer cases could be prevented by lifestyle changes (e.g. smoking, being a healthy weight and avoiding excessive sun exposure.

At the end of the day, being diagnosed with cancer is something that is affected by many factors. You would also have an increased risk due to certain genetics.
So that 1/3 could actually be 1/7 for you, you don't really know :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Neuth
It's estimated that 1/3 people will be diagnosed with some form of cancer during their lifetime.

The likeliness of having cancer probably stays roughly the same from when you are born until when you die, because whilst some cancers are more likely at a certain age, some are also less likely.

1 in 3 is a high statistic, yes, but 4 in 10 cancer cases could be prevented by lifestyle changes (e.g. smoking, being a healthy weight and avoiding excessive sun exposure.

At the end of the day, being diagnosed with cancer is something that is affected by many factors. You would also have an increased risk due to certain genetics.
So that 1/3 could actually be 1/7 for you, you don't really know :smile:

Yeah I know about the lifetime risk of getting it. My question was about the probability of getting it at age 21. Not throughout the duration of life. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by ihateocr
Yeah I know about the lifetime risk of getting it. My question was about the probability of getting it at age 21. Not throughout the duration of life. :smile:

My point is, it's the same no matter how old you are :tongue:
Original post by Neuth
My point is, it's the same no matter how old you are :tongue:

Well that's not exactly true.

The most common cancers - such as breast, colorectal and prostate, are much, much more common as you get older. The same goes for a huge number of cancers including bladder, lung, skin....

Yes, there are cancers that are more common in certain age groups, such as some types of leukaemia (some more common in children, some in middle age or elderly), or things like rare neural tissue tumours of childhood. However, overall, these cancers are relatively rare and often have some genetic components of some description.

So, as a 21 year old, your odds of developing cancer at that age are certainly much lower than your 70 year old equivalent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
If you live a healthy lifestyle (and by healthy I mean ridiculously so - 15+ fruit & veg a day, loads of water, hardly any processed foods and low amounts of sugary foods, plus exercise), your risks of cancer reduce significantly to the point you'd have to be very unlucky to get it.

Also don't forget sun cream.
Original post by Steezy
If you live a healthy lifestyle (and by healthy I mean ridiculously so - 15+ fruit & veg a day, loads of water, hardly any processed foods and low amounts of sugary foods, plus exercise), your risks of cancer reduce significantly to the point you'd have to be very unlucky to get it.

If cancer has spread all over the body - is there any chance of a cure
Reply 9
Original post by Damien_Dalgaard
If cancer has spread all over the body - is there any chance of a cure

In most cases no. But it depends on the cancer. My Dad has stage 4 (which is what you're referring to) melanoma (skin cancer). All they can really do is keep cutting it out when it shows up and then if they can't cut it out - try out some drugs (most of which have little effect).

However there has been news of a "miracle drug" in America which showed a man's tumours from melanoma actually start reducing in size and disappearing. However, this is still in research stages in America & likely won't be available in UK for a few years, which pretty much sucks.
Original post by Steezy
In most cases no. But it depends on the cancer. My Dad has stage 4 (which is what you're referring to) melanoma (skin cancer). All they can really do is keep cutting it out when it shows up and then if they can't cut it out - try out some drugs (most of which have little effect).

However there has been news of a "miracle drug" in America which showed a man's tumours from melanoma actually start reducing in size and disappearing. However, this is still in research stages in America & likely won't be available in UK for a few years, which pretty much sucks.

What about brain cancer, if that is at stage 4 is there any chance of a cure?
Reply 11
What about brain cancer, if that is at stage 4 is there any chance of a cure?

I think brain cancer by definition is stage 4 as it has spread to the brain. I have no idea if it's curable. I would suggest not, although there probably are people who have survived it.

Maybe search google as I don't have a definitive knowledge of all cancers.
Original post by Steezy
I think brain cancer by definition is stage 4 as it has spread to the brain. I have no idea if it's curable. I would suggest not, although there probably are people who have survived it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not exactly, whereas usually a tumour in the brain has spread from somewhere else, making it a late stage cancer, there are cancers that actually arise in the brain itself, so can of course vary from very early to very late stages.
Original post by Steezy

Ok thanks for the info, I should have said this earlier but I'm sorry about your dad - I hope he gets better :smile:
Might be able to use Bayesian probability to work it out :wink:
Reply 15
Original post by Mushi_master
Posted from TSR Mobile

Not exactly, whereas usually a tumour in the brain has spread from somewhere else, making it a late stage cancer, there are cancers that actually arise in the brain itself, so can of course vary from very early to very late stages.

Fair enough. Had no idea there were cancers which originated in the brain.
Reply 16
Ok thanks for the info, I should have said this earlier but I'm sorry about your dad - I hope he gets better :smile:

Thanks
Reply 17
Original post by Mushi_master
Well that's not exactly true.

Interesting - it's what I was told, so I believed it was.
Sorry.
Original post by Steezy

Fruit is absolutely loaded with sugar.
Reply 19
Original post by bertstare
Fruit is absolutely loaded with sugar.

Yes I realise that, by sugary foods I meant refined sugar.

Quick Reply

Latest