The Student Room Group

For those who had a job before you started uni...

Did you manage to keep it for uni, like adjust your hours? Im applying for jobs at the moment, but I`m finding it difficult to grasp the concept of doing a job for 2-3 months and then leaving it for University. Are employers ok with this?
Reply 1
Just don't tell them I guess?
Original post by Mav455
Did you manage to keep it for uni, like adjust your hours? Im applying for jobs at the moment, but I`m finding it difficult to grasp the concept of doing a job for 2-3 months and then leaving it for University. Are employers ok with this?

Most employers are always hiring leaving early wouldn't really be a problem but some prefer those who stay for longer periods. It really depends where you work.
Reply 3
Original post by Mav455

I work as bank staff in a care home and just let them know when I'm available in uni holidays. I earn over £1000 a month and really enjoy my job!
I don't have time for work during university as my course is so demanding and I think I would burn out, so it's a really good alternative.
Reply 4
I informed my personnel manager that I'd be leaving for uni, and they kept me on as a seasonal for when I'm back for Christmas, etc.

Ask your human rescources department, they'll soon give you an answer.
Original post by lamyers1
I work as bank staff in a care home and just let them know when I'm available in uni holidays. I earn over £1000 a month and really enjoy my job!
I don't have time for work during university as my course is so demanding and I think I would burn out, so it's a really good alternative.

Can I ask what your job title is? i need a job asap and that sounds perfect.
Reply 6
Original post by cheeriosarenice

I'm curious as well :curious:
Reply 7

Original post by Cherx
I'm curious as well :curious:

Likely to be agency staff, otherwise pay wouldn't be so high. Work is often short notice and you have to travel there yourself, so you can be working in different places each day.
Reply 8
Original post by Tbx
Likely to be agency staff, otherwise pay wouldn't be so high. Work is often short notice and you have to travel there yourself, so you can be working in different places each day.

Ahh thanks and is it easy to obtain jobs in that sector?
Reply 9
Original post by Tbx

I am not agency. I am a healthcare assistant on permanent staff, but as bank.

I earn £6.86 per hour, so it's not that high!
Reply 10

Healthcare assistant. You can get the same job in the NHS, but they normally want experience which I didn't have at the time. Plus the place I work at is 5 minutes away from my house.
Original post by lamyers1
Healthcare assistant. You can get the same job in the NHS, but they normally want experience which I didn't have at the time. Plus the place I work at is 5 minutes away from my house.

You working full time?
No, due to relocation for one job and impracticality for the other. I have another job at university nonetheless.
Reply 13
You working full time?

I did, now I do full time hours in my holidays from uni if I feel like I can.
I do the same as lamyers1. I worked full time before uni and now go back to work during the holidays. Luckily, my uni gives us half term off, so I get to earn an extra £300 just during those weeks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending