The Student Room Group
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling

Any metalheads in Stirling?

Hi all, I'm new here on the forum...just wondering if there are any metal-heads out there? Any kind of metal/hard rock goes, but I'm more of a black metal girl myself.
There's a lot of gigs upcoming this year, but would really like to get to know more people who have a similar taste in music.
I'm new to Stirling, so if anyone can recommend any metal nights in the area, that would be awesome (by area- I'll also include Edinburgh and Glasgow!!)
Reply 1
Not a complete metal head still enjoy alot of rock, and very in to Dylan and Cash (unlike my friends who like EDM and 'pop' :redface:) but started trying metal recently and loving it! Always enjoyed Sabbath and Maiden listening to Pantera.
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling
Reply 2
Hey, made an account to reply to this, I normally lurk. But yeah, I like metal and will be a new undergraduate to Stirling (if I decide to go, sort of got anxiety about the whole thing). I mainly like melodeath or folk metal, but I've been getting more into black metal recently. What sort of bands do you like?
Reply 3
Just signed up to reply to this.

I suppose I'm a bit of a metalhead. Prefer hard rock usually but like metal as well. Got a few gigs lined up this year.
Reply 4
Original post by Gecko1995
Not a complete metal head still enjoy alot of rock, and very in to Dylan and Cash (unlike my friends who like EDM and 'pop' :redface:) but started trying metal recently and loving it! Always enjoyed Sabbath and Maiden listening to Pantera.

Nice! For some reason I've never got into the 'classics' of metal, maybe their discographies are so terrifyingly huge I never know where to start! I like Maiden, but much prefer Bruce's solo career :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by vonnegut
Hey, made an account to reply to this, I normally lurk. But yeah, I like metal and will be a new undergraduate to Stirling (if I decide to go, sort of got anxiety about the whole thing). I mainly like melodeath or folk metal, but I've been getting more into black metal recently. What sort of bands do you like?

Nice one, I made an account just to post this thread...I enjoy a bit of melodeath and folk every now and then, still need to give Insomnium's latest another play through. Best albums for me this year have been Behemoth and Schammasch. Killer stuff. Love a bit of thrash too(she says sat wearing Kreator shorts).
Favourite albums this year?
And, hey, you shouldn't worry about Uni...Stirling's a great place (if your not from here currently) and its much MUCH better than the 'real world' after it XD Uni's great...but it's understandable if your anxious about it.
In my first year I tried to make as many new friends online first before starting, which worked out really well. Found one of my (now) best friends from a forum like this :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by SeanA7X
Just signed up to reply to this.

I suppose I'm a bit of a metalhead. Prefer hard rock usually but like metal as well. Got a few gigs lined up this year.

Awesome, from your username I could hazard a guess :P
What gigs have you lined up? For me, all the gigs seem to be in December- boooo! But at least a lot of bands play Glasgow, I was scared I'd be stuck up here with no gigs at all
Reply 7
Original post by natar
Awesome, from your username I could hazard a guess :P
What gigs have you lined up? For me, all the gigs seem to be in December- boooo! But at least a lot of bands play Glasgow, I was scared I'd be stuck up here with no gigs at all

Haha yeah.

Got Black Stone Cherry/Airbourne/Theory of a Deadman in October.
Volbeat in November.
Slash in December.

What about you?
Reply 8
Original post by SeanA7X
Haha yeah.

Got Black Stone Cherry/Airbourne/Theory of a Deadman in October.
Volbeat in November.
Slash in December.

What about you?

Nice..I really should listen to some newer rock music, I've avoided it for ages. (Despite previously being a rock soc. president at a different uni)....
Umm, Behemoth, Sabaton, Kreator...and some other stuff that's escaped me now.
Is hear there's a rock soc. for Stirling uni- do they have regular meet ups do you know?
Reply 9
Original post by natar
Nice..I really should listen to some newer rock music, I've avoided it for ages. (Despite previously being a rock soc. president at a different uni)....
Umm, Behemoth, Sabaton, Kreator...and some other stuff that's escaped me now.
Is hear there's a rock soc. for Stirling uni- do they have regular meet ups do you know?

Never really been able to get into death metal to be honest:frown:

Don't have a clue, I'm just starting my first year this September.
Reply 10
Original post by SeanA7X
Never really been able to get into death metal to be honest:frown:

Don't have a clue, I'm just starting my first year this September.

Thats cool :smile: are you from Stirling, or new to the area?
Reply 11
Original post by natar
Thats cool :smile: are you from Stirling, or new to the area?

Nah I'm from just outside Paisley.
Reply 12
Original post by natar
Nice one, I made an account just to post this thread...I enjoy a bit of melodeath and folk every now and then, still need to give Insomnium's latest another play through. Best albums for me this year have been Behemoth and Schammasch. Killer stuff. Love a bit of thrash too(she says sat wearing Kreator shorts).
Favourite albums this year?
And, hey, you shouldn't worry about Uni...Stirling's a great place (if your not from here currently) and its much MUCH better than the 'real world' after it XD Uni's great...but it's understandable if your anxious about it.
In my first year I tried to make as many new friends online first before starting, which worked out really well. Found one of my (now) best friends from a forum like this :smile:

Haha, that is reassuring :smile: I'm from Northern Ireland and it'll be the first time I've been away from family for an extended period of time, but I am looking forward to it!

I like Equilibrium's new album, Insomnium's is ace and I still need to listen to Arch Enemy's newest album. I like German thrash, Kreator, Tankard etc.

Going to see Amon Amarth in Belfast next month, really looking forward to that. Also, would love to go to Eluveitie, Alestorm and Sabaton gigs.
Reply 13
Haha, that is reassuring :smile: I'm from Northern Ireland and it'll be the first time I've been away from family for an extended period of time, but I am looking forward to it!

I like Equilibrium's new album, Insomnium's is ace and I still need to listen to Arch Enemy's newest album. I like German thrash, Kreator, Tankard etc.

Going to see Amon Amarth in Belfast next month, really looking forward to that. Also, would love to go to Eluveitie, Alestorm and Sabaton gigs.

Saw Amon Amarth in Glasgow a couple of years ago, great live band. Eluveitie sound decent from the few songs I've heard on Youtube.
Reply 14

Haha, I think people from Northern Ireland are attracted to Stirling...the amount of people from your end of the woods is surprising!
Arch Enemy...was really looking forward to their new album, until they changed singer. Really do not like the new one; sounds far too 'core' sounding for me. But guess I'll end up seeing them when they tour with Kreator .
Looking forward to Sabaton for some cheesy cheesy goodness.

Never got into Equilibrium, so I shall give them a listen
Reply 15
Original post by natar
Haha, I think people from Northern Ireland are attracted to Stirling...the amount of people from your end of the woods is surprising!
Arch Enemy...was really looking forward to their new album, until they changed singer. Really do not like the new one; sounds far too 'core' sounding for me. But guess I'll end up seeing them when they tour with Kreator .
Looking forward to Sabaton for some cheesy cheesy goodness.

Never got into Equilibrium, so I shall give them a listen

Yeah, that's fair. I do prefer Angela as their singer, but I wasn't a HUGE fan to begin with, so I can tolerate the new.
Hey, theres a stirling uni rock society you could join. I havent been to any of their events yet (im going into 3rd year) but im hoping to check it out this year. but yeah youll def meet a lot of likeminded people there :smile: so give it a go!

Quick Reply

Latest