The Student Room Group

Advice from previous Year 11's to upcoming Year 11's

Scroll to see replies

Original post by funkydee19
That seems quite a lot for 12. I took about 22? And I took 10 GCSE's. Acc coming to think of it it sorta makes sense now. Anyways all the best with your results :smile:

Hehe yeah, I had a lot of exams per gcse eg. French has 4 exams. You too, hope you get the grades you want!
Original post by dreadpiraterach
1) How was Year 11 for you?
Year 11 was a while ago for me (2010/2011) but I look back on it as one of my best years at secondary school. I felt like the teachers treated us with more respect than they did when we were lower down the school, people in general were nicer to each other and everyone was excited about prom and sixth form. I ended up with 9 A*s and 2 As, so was really happy with how my grades turned out as well.

2) How many exams did you sit?
I think there were 17 in summer? One of them was a practical (drama performance) and the rest were written.

3) What advice will you give to the upcoming Year 11s?
Obviously work hard and make sure you get grades that you're happy with, BUT remember that GCSEs aren't the be all and end all. Most universities don't really care what grades you got at GCSE as long as you've got your 5 A*-C grades (including English and Maths), and that your predicted grades for A Levels are good. So don't get too worked up about your grades because there's plenty of time for that later.

I had a practical exam for drama, and so much of that involved working together as a team. If you are doing any practical exams as part of a group then think really carefully about who you're going to be in a group with- being stuck in a group with people who just want to mess around is an absolute nightmare if you want to get things done!

Things will be different after Year 11 and there might be some friends that you drift apart from, especially if you end up at different colleges. That doesn't mean any of you are doing anything wrong, it just happens. Make the most of the friends you have while you still get to see them every day. Don't spend so much time stressing about work that you never enjoy yourself.

Don't leave prom arrangements to the last minute. I saved 50% on my dress by getting it in the January sales. There'll be other schools in your area that have their prom on the same night as yours, so if you want to hire a limo or anything that might be difficult if you leave it too late.

Take lots of pictures and make leavers books!

I agree.. leaving prom arrangements till last minuite is very risky, I think I got my dress during the exam season. Thinking about the outfit and my exams at the same time was very stressful so I would agree with you and also recommend getting your outfit early.
Reply 62
I agree.. leaving prom arrangements till last minuite is very risky, I think I got my dress during the exam season. Thinking about the outfit and my exams at the same time was very stressful so I would agree with you and also recommend getting your outfit early.

I never went:smug:

Posted from TSR Mobile
1) What GCSE's are you taking?
English Literature, English Language, Triple Science, Maths, German, History, Classical Civilisation and Geography

2) What are your expectations of year 11?
Hell. I would've expected it to start off relatively calmly and progressed to become more and more stressful... But no, apparently it's going to start off really stressful as I have to do History, Geography, Classics and English coursework/controlled assessment all within the first term. Great. :frown:

3)Are you looking forward to year 11?
Weirdly enough, kind of. I mean, not really, but I literally cannot wait to have my GCSEs done with. And I'm excited to be in the Sixth Form and only doing a few subject which I'm genuinely interested in
:smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 64
I finished my last exam on the 24th June. I think i did 26 exams or something in the space of 2 months. (Early may till mid june)
I have been off school since then so nearly a month already ! And the day i finished my exams i was full of regret basically. I left all my revision till practically a day before the exams. I dont listen in lessons so revising was like learning the content afresh. It was horrible and stressful. I didnt even revise for my History gcse which im dreading finding out the results for...
The advice id give to upcoming year 11s are PLEASE DONT LEAVE REVISION TOO LATE YOU'LL ONLY REGRET IT.
Advice
Get your coursework done early (early march at latest).
Do well in your coursework as it lessens the pressure dramatically.
Spend decent time on your hwk as it'll help when you come back to that topic during revision.
If you don't understand something don't leave it, go to your teacher. Most will be more than happy to go through things 1 to 1.
For the mocks focus on making your weaker subjects stronger as this will help a lot for the summer
Original post by georgia0319
English Literature, English Language, Triple Science, Maths, German, History, Classical Civilisation and Geography

Hell. I would've expected it to start off relatively calmly and progressed to become more and more stressful... But no, apparently it's going to start off really stressful as I have to do History, Geography, Classics and English coursework/controlled assessment all within the first term. Great. :frown:

Weirdly enough, kind of. I mean, not really, but I literally cannot wait to have my GCSEs done with. And I'm excited to be in the Sixth Form and only doing a few subject which I'm genuinely interested in
:smile:

Coursework/CA's are the least of your worries as long as you get them done before March latest.. The beginning of the year is not as bad as you think, you will understand a few weeks before your exams. All the best though :smile:
1) How was year 11 for you?

I'm in year 11 in Northern Ireland so that's my first year of GCSE's and I think that might be different in England?... Year 11 for me was really calm. The most stress was caused by bad teachers (an English teacher who told me I would fail because I have been getting A* for three years straight and all my teachers were 'rubbish' :confused: - the same teacher who said my essay on my granny dying 'wasn't funny enough' :mad: and a History teacher who never finishes the course on time and just leaves school on her own record) :angry:Art deadlines stressed me a bit as well and so did trying to cram all revision for a subject into the night before the exam (not smart)

Only 8 this year
:tongue:

3)What advice will you like to give to the upcoming year 11s?

I would say revise from January; giving up a few hours will be well worth it; less stress, you feel more prepared and you won't need to pull any all nighters in May/June! I would also say that you should enjoy yourself most this year cause next year has the BIG stuff, but don't slack off! Lots of people don't care about their first set of exams because they think they can just repeat next year and you definitely don't want that.:eek:
Stressful, difficult, perpetuating, exhausting, depressing, annoying, amazing, outstanding and occasionally enjoyable.

16, mostly with at least 2 in 1 day, with the first day having 3!

3) What advice will you like to give to the upcoming year 11s?
Keep reading over work once it's been covered; remember past papers etc for lessons; acknowledge you will suffer from self-induced insomnia from piling work loads; take every opportunity to work to save it being done while everyone is going through the REM state of sleep; enjoy every minute;make sure to keep yourself socially active and speaking to people - isolation is such an easy trap to fall into; either way, good luck, bon voyage and plus chance!
Reply 69
GCSEs are just a stepping stone to A-level.

I could've failed half and still be where i am today (uni)
Reply 70
I'm in year 11 so here it goes
Year 11 was good but I had to redo every single piece of English coursework because we got a new head who wanted all year 11s to improve.

16 over the two years but 15 this year

Do past papers so you know the format of all your GCSEs your doing and ask your teacher to mark it and ask how to improve on your work. Revise the key things as everything doesn't come up on the exam
Reply 71
Year 11 was mainly quite chilled, for the first part mainly. I just have the memory of my ICT teacher saying that we had plenty of time to finish our coursework so he moved on to theory, but then guess what happened, we were told like a week later that our coursework had to be sent off to the exam board in a few days!! I had like half finished almost everything and not even started a few things, so I began to panic and just rush it (my evaluation was 13,500 words though, it took a while) but I ended up getting the highest in my year with 89/90 :biggrin:
And this pattern of leaving everything to the last minute kind of continued for me which I'm not proud of and got really worked up with myself about. When I say last minute with exam revision I don't mean with like a week to go, I mean on the morning of all of my triple science exams that was the time that I started to revise (and they were morning exams as well).

7 in year 10 (and 2 re-takes) and 18 in year 11

Please just revise early I know that everyone says it and you think that you have plenty of time but you don't. It's better to be over prepared than under-prepared. Learn from my mistake.
Oh and past papers will help a lot, notice patterns, learn the mark schemes they do actually repeat some questions!
Let's see :') umm....English Lit, History, Spanish, Business Studies, Drama, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, RS, Food, Additional Maths (I did PSHEE and ICT in year 9, and Maths, English Lang, PSHEE and PE in year 10).

I think it'll be alright, I'm planning to make my basic revision notes this summer hopefully to make life easier for myself, and I'm quite glad I've already done a good number of exams already :smile: also excited for milestone things like prom etc.

I actually am haha :smile:
Original post by Its_Tito
Let's see :') umm....English Lit, History, Spanish, Business Studies, Drama, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, RS, Food, Additional Maths (I did PSHEE and ICT in year 9, and Maths, English Lang, PSHEE and PE in year 10).

I think it'll be alright, I'm planning to make my basic revision notes this summer hopefully to make life easier for myself, and I'm quite glad I've already done a good number of exams already :smile: also excited for milestone things like prom etc.

I actually am haha :smile:

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend making revision notes so early. Enjoy your summer and your time off.. I don't even recommend to start revising until March.
Original post by tara_mc_

I'm in year 11 in Northern Ireland so that's my first year of GCSE's and I think that might be different in England?... Year 11 for me was really calm. The most stress was caused by bad teachers (an English teacher who told me I would fail because I have been getting A* for three years straight and all my teachers were 'rubbish' :confused: - the same teacher who said my essay on my granny dying 'wasn't funny enough' :mad: and a History teacher who never finishes the course on time and just leaves school on her own record) :angry:Art deadlines stressed me a bit as well and so did trying to cram all revision for a subject into the night before the exam (not smart)

Only 8 this year
:tongue:

3)What advice will you like to give to the upcoming year 11s?

I would say revise from January; giving up a few hours will be well worth it; less stress, you feel more prepared and you won't need to pull any all nighters in May/June! I would also say that you should enjoy yourself most this year cause next year has the BIG stuff, but don't slack off! Lots of people don't care about their first set of exams because they think they can just repeat next year and you definitely don't want that.:eek:

Just wondering.. what age do you finish secondary school in Northern Ireland?
Honestly, I wouldn't recommend making revision notes so early. Enjoy your summer and your time off.. I don't even recommend to start revising until March.

Yeah a few people have said that, but I don't have much to do this summer and I'll spend a lot of time being bored if I don't do something, and I get really lazy during the school year so if I get some time when I'm just lying there then I'll do some work, not necessarily hardcore revision but just organising things at least. I know if I don't know I never will, I like things being organised and neat and ready but at the same time I can't be bothered so might as well when I have the determination :biggrin:
Just wondering.. what age do you finish secondary school in Northern Ireland?

You can leave secondary school once you finish your GCSE's, when you are 16 (15 if your born late June) or you can stay on at your school to do your A-level's (our schools have KS3, KS4, KS5 in the same building generally) or move to a new one that has a sixth form (only a few don't). You can also go to tech (college)
Reply 77
Looking back on my year 11 experience it has been my favourite year to date :smile:. Although its stressful towards the end, it goes by so fast. Also, the rewards at the end like leavers and prom are the best memories I have and i wish that I could do it all over again!!

I sat 23 exams in total with 16 of these at the end of year 11. I also had additional coursework for science subjects, humanities, languages and art.

My only advice would be to enjoy and appriciate your last year of comprehensive life! If you have coursework, try and get the highest marks possible as it counts for alot and gets rid of any added pressure you may feel during exam time because you have a certain percentage of a grade! Start revision early because towards the end you will thank yourself and stress levels will be alot less (i started around february and was still cramming by the end
:bigsmile: SO any future year 10/11's enjoy yourself but stay organised and work hard :smile: :tongue: (im sorry if i sound old but thats my advice haha)
Original post by tara_mc_
You can leave secondary school once you finish your GCSE's, when you are 16 (15 if your born late June) or you can stay on at your school to do your A-level's (our schools have KS3, KS4, KS5 in the same building generally) or move to a new one that has a sixth form (only a few don't). You can also go to tech (college)

Ohh it's the same as England then haha
If you are in year 10 going into year 11:
Maths, English Lang, English Lit, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, RS, IT, History, Mandarin Chinese, Philosophy and Ethics, Music. Quite varied!

I think it will be hard work but it will pay off in the end. Hopefully I won't have so many extra-curriculars this year because there were a lot of demands on my time this past year. At least I'll have an actual excuse lol

Yes, in an odd way. I feel rather important. Although I know it's going to be hard work and I need to get my act together with revision strategies I think I'll enjoy it. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest