The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by scrotgrot
Maybe try reading my posts above?

which one
Original post by zippity.doodah
which one

The big long one I think, it might have been helpful if you'd read it at the time
The big long one I think, it might have been helpful if you'd read it at the time

yeah, could you not just tell me what you're talking about instead and get it over with, as opposed to expecting me to read a big long message
Original post by zippity.doodah
yeah, could you not just tell me what you're talking about instead and get it over with, as opposed to expecting me to read a big long message

No, because you plainly weren't respectful enough to read it the first time round. All you have done is shout your reactionary opinion and attempt to call me a loony liberal apologist for pacifism. You could be a right-wing MP or a tabloid editor with that attitude
Original post by AlexKay99
Your utter bull for reading my statement incorrectly. I said, if she hits you and you know she is weak and you are strong, you should not hit her back. I personally wouldn't hit back a touchy-feely man because I've got to be the bigger person. How hard is that to understand? I'm not saying people should hit each other, I'm saying people should control themselves. Including women. That's a childish thing to say 'if she can hit, I can hit'.
Or do you think hitting her back will solve the problem?

That's not what you said at all, you said if she goes to hit me I should just roll over and take it because it'd make her feel better, which is absolutely ridiculous.

Weak/strong doesn't come into it, it's that kind of mentality that applies to "you shouldn't hit people wearing glasses". Why? If they're being a complete and utter tosser to the point where it warrants a slap then I don't see why a facial accessory should stop me from hitting them.

The great thing is, I'm a total pacifist and don't condone violence of any kind, but I do condone self-defence and I won't hesitate to reply in kind when physically threatened. However, you're basically saying that a woman hitting a man is fine but the other way round isn't, which is the usual hypocrisy on threads like this.
Original post by Drunk Punx
That's not what you said at all, you said if she goes to hit me I should just roll over and take it because it'd make her feel better, which is absolutely ridiculous.

Weak/strong doesn't come into it, it's that kind of mentality that applies to "you shouldn't hit people wearing glasses". Why? If they're being a complete and utter tosser to the point where it warrants a slap then I don't see why a facial accessory should stop me from hitting them.

The great thing is, I'm a total pacifist and don't condone violence of any kind, but I do condone self-defence and I won't hesitate to reply in kind when physically threatened. However, you're basically saying that a woman hitting a man is fine but the other way round isn't, which is the usual hypocrisy on threads like this.

What I 'basically' said is not what I actually said. Never said women should hit men. So in your opinion, if I child hits you, you have to hit back because your defending yourself? That's what its like if a woman is a lot weaker than you, its no better than hitting a child.
Reply 106
We need to re-think our ideas about the female-male gender dynamic. Men and women should be equal, but that also means that we need to get rid of feminist ideas which raise the women above the station of men. Another prime example of this is in the arena of dating; all men are expected to chase women, but women only go for the top percentage of men, even when the men are refined and intelligent (much like myself).
What I 'basically' said is not what I actually said. Never said women should hit men. So in your opinion, if I child hits you, you have to hit back because your defending yourself? That's what its like if a woman is a lot weaker than you, its no better than hitting a child.

You're comparing a child to a fully grown woman?

Revert to when I first quoted you, you condoned female-male violence.

I thought women want equality? Or do they only want equality when it's in their favour? Actually don't answer that; seeing as humans are selfish as hell I already know the answer.

If a child hits me I'll kick it up the bum or rugby toss it into a ball pit. Like someone else has already said, you don't have to hit back with full force. People can control how much force they put behind their punches y'know, which is why the "oh but women are so weak" (but also independent and strong, right? Good god this is confusing) argument doesn't fly with me.
Nope, it's not acceptable.. That's why they have a toilet. Stick 'er head in the toilet.. Just kidding.

Seriously though, any physical abuse towards females is unacceptable. In fact, I find Physical violence itself is unacceptable, regardless of the gender.
Original post by StevieA
So many times in movies, shows or real life the woman slaps the man because he just said something that hurt her feelings and nobody even blinks at her violent reaction, if anything it is seen as appropriate and the man deserved it (see the recent case of JayZ when the most asked question was ''what did he do?''). So I ask you, would it be as acceptable if a man slapped a woman every single time she hurt his feelings?

its not acceptable to be hitting people full stop in that sorta situation

use violence in self defence..in both genders...otherwise keep it to a bare minimum..
so no as shes not attempting to rape or murder yeh id say youll have to take it..although shes bad for doing it..and you can ignore her if youd like
No, because you plainly weren't respectful enough to read it the first time round. All you have done is shout your reactionary opinion and attempt to call me a loony liberal apologist for pacifism. You could be a right-wing MP or a tabloid editor with that attitude

this is a pretty obvious sign that you just don't want to explain your point because you never had a point in the first place, at least a coherent or rational one. and wow, you think I could be a politician, thanks buddy :rolleyes:
Original post by Blue_Mason
You're comparing a child to a fully grown woman?

I just knew someone would stupidly comment this.
In society 'women and children' are considered to the weaker of the lot. No a fully grown woman is not the same as a child but compared to a man, they are both weak and vulnerable. If one thinks hitting a woman is OK then why should hitting a child not be, in that definition? Or may be even a disabled man? The common factor here is that all three examples are taken to be 'weak' and are at a common disadvantage to the strong.
Original post by Drunk Punx
Revert to when I first quoted you, you condoned female-male violence.

I thought women want equality? Or do they only want equality when it's in their favour? Actually don't answer that; seeing as humans are selfish as hell I already know the answer.

If a child hits me I'll kick it up the bum or rugby toss it into a ball pit. Like someone else has already said, you don't have to hit back with full force. People can control how much force they put behind their punches y'know, which is why the "oh but women are so weak" (but also independent and strong, right? Good god this is confusing) argument doesn't fly with me.

I think this is hypocrisy, that because women should not be hit then they should not be given equality? What about the fact that we are all human beings? Does that not suffice? We are all different and unequal to each other if you think about it but that's no reason to deny fair treatment. (which doesn't involve hitting each other)

I agree that children need to learn their lesson but I'm not sure in what way. I think it best to let them know they've done wrong and if they do not learn then punish them. Certainly not hit them then and there, they'll most likely may get scared and confused and may never learn their lesson from it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by joker12345
Is it cowardly when's woman does it?

I think it is cowardly when a man or a woman hits someone. It just shows that you cannot argue without resorting to physical violence and that you have little to no control over your reactions.

People are allowed to voice their opinions - if you're insulted by it, that's just too bad. Nothing happens if you get insulted. You ignore it and move on. However, no one has the right to physically harm another human being (unless in certain circumstances like policing etc.). One day it's a slap and another day that leads to using objects or brandishing a knife. Anger very quickly escalates and regardless of it's a man or a woman, the final result could be something they hadn't wished for. Many previous incidents have shown that this can happen.
I just knew someone would stupidly comment this.
In society 'women and children' are considered to the weaker of the lot. No a fully grown woman is not the same as a child but compared to a man, they are both weak and vulnerable. If one thinks hitting a woman is OK then why should hitting a child not be, in that definition? Or may be even a disabled man? The common factor here is that all three examples are taken to be 'weak' and are at a common disadvantage to the strong.

In most cases I do not see the point in hitting anyone but you're just going off tangant and again adding unessential nonsense.I say it is okay to inflict mild physical force on a child or anyone else that is deemed vulnerable if needed be.
In most cases I do not see the point in hitting anyone but you're just going off tangant and again adding unessential nonsense.I say it is okay to inflict mild physical force on a child or anyone else that is deemed vulnerable if needed be.

There are other ways around mild violence, proven to be more effective. For example if a child is being naughty then may be he/she should be denied their favourite things e.g TV, toys until he apologises and therefore will learn not to do it again otherwise he will get his toys taken away from him.
With a woman, instead of hitting her back why not talk it out? Or even say you'll report her for (domestic) violence. Or best of all, just walk away and don't look back.
Idk rly.
Original post by Maid Marian
Let's be honest here: if a man slapped me, it would hurt much much more than if I slapped him.

Sure, and you're representative of ALL women.
There are other ways around mild violence, proven to be more effective. For example if a child is being naughty then may be he/she should be denied their favourite things e.g TV, toys until he apologises and therefore will learn not to do it again otherwise he will get his toys taken away from him.
With a woman, instead of hitting her back why not talk it out? Or even say you'll report her for (domestic) violence. Or best of all, just walk away and don't look back.

Just seeing we all have a different way of dealing and processing difficulties in life but I'd rather inflict psychological pain then physical pain.
Just seeing we all have a different way of dealing and processing difficulties in life but I'd rather inflict psychological pain then physical pain.

That's what I said, physical violence is never a good option.

Latest