The Student Room Group

Ways in which men are oppressed in the UK.

Scroll to see replies

With the exception of trafficked slaves and members of certain cultural groups, nobody is oppressed in the UK. The OP seems to be an alternative take on the exaggerated styles used by radical feminists, who make up similarly spurious things explaining why women are oppressed.

Different genders have different issues. But you'd expect that because they're biologically different. Nobody is oppressing anybody.
Wow, look at the damage traditional gender roles are having on men. Guess we need some sort of movement which is opposed to these traditional gender roles.
Sorry if I seem obtuse here, but how is 4, 5 and 6 oppression?
Original post by tengentoppa
No-one is oppressed. It's the UK not China.

Good old UK..Its all a bed of lovely, ornate roses isn't it..
As a feminist (of sorts) I definitely think there are some ways in which men are disadvantaged relative to women, in certain circumstances. However these aren't overly concerning to me as a male. The gender inequality is far greater in the other direction - this can be quite easily observed through both quantitative data and even in our day-to-day lives. That said, we should try and take action on all fronts.

which page? i did ctrl+f and searched 84 but the only 84's in the document are the telephone numbers on page 2
Original post by pinejuice
which page? i did ctrl+f and searched 84 but the only 84's in the document are the telephone numbers on page 2

Page 17. If you use the arrow keys after doing ctrl + f it would have come up for you.
Original post by EllieC130
I can't be bothered to argue wholly because 1. I agree with some points and am too tired to sift through which is which 2. It's hard to get invested in a thread that has been done so many times before. I will say though that male suicide isn't the fault of society, not really and work related accidents come down to men typically being in more dangerous jobs which they aren't forced into. They know the risks they're taking by going into certain fields of work just as the women do.

The fact they aren't forced to take on dangerous jobs doesn't mean their choice wasn't highly influenced by societal pressures that do not apply to women.

Most men do not choose these dangerous jobs to fulfill their dream career, but rather many sociological factors that are in play have ultimately driven them to these dangerous jobs - factors that evidently do not apply to women.

But if I accept your argument, it can be applied to many feminist arguments also. The government doesn't force women to look after children instead of working. Women aren't forced to not take up science careers etc.

Now with regards to male suicide, it is either a result of biology or a result of society. So you are suggesting it is a result of biology - yet most feminists claim that the brains of men and women are the same biologically. I'm not saying you take this feminist view, but I am typing this out for the feminists who do - they must accept that society causes high male suicide rates.
Original post by tnetennba
x

You have deliberately misrepresented so many "facts" in your post, I just despair. Not even close to impartial.
Reply 49
Men are heavily oppressed throughout the whole of Western society, especially when it comes to dating. Why, just the other day I was charming a long-time female friend of mine with my refined conversation techniques. I had known this girl for years, and when I finally confessed my love she said she wanted to be 'just friends'. Then I found out that she had a boyfriend; the typical brawn and no brains type, clearly inferior to me. But she wanted him anyway! Clearly Western society has created a world where men must compete like dogs for the affections of women, where only the strong muscular types have any chance of reproducing.
Reply 50
The OP has a point. Feminists basically complain about stuff like this and they seem to get a lot of sympathy. In fact, Feminists complain about things even more trivial than this and they still get sympathy. In my opinion, if men have so many problems and still mostly don't complain, why do feminists even exist?
Original post by DiddyDec
Page 17. If you use the arrow keys after doing ctrl + f it would have come up for you.

you are lying through your teeth there's not a single number on page 17, its on page 23
Original post by Rodger
Men are heavily oppressed throughout the whole of Western society, especially when it comes to dating. Why, just the other day I was charming a long-time female friend of mine with my refined conversation techniques. I had known this girl for years, and when I finally confessed my love she said she wanted to be 'just friends'. Then I found out that she had a boyfriend; the typical brawn and no brains type, clearly inferior to me. But she wanted him anyway! Clearly Western society has created a world where men must compete like dogs for the affections of women, where only the strong muscular types have any chance of reproducing.

people died in rodger's shootings and you are shamelessly trolling under his name and picture
you are lying through your teeth there's not a single number on page 17, its on page 23

Correction. Please look at the top right hand corner of page 17. Page numbers are done by that of the report and the contents table. Please learn to read before criticising me.
Not allowed to walk about with their fart box & wang out like women are (minus the wang for the latter, unless a Transexual)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec
Correction. Please look at the top right hand corner of page 17. Page numbers are done by that of the report and the contents table. Please learn to read before criticising me.

learn to make your instructions clear and cite your sources properly. its a good thing you arent a brain surgeon you'd mess that up in a heartbeat
learn to make your instructions clear and cite your sources properly. its a good thing you arent a brain surgeon you'd mess that up in a heartbeat

The contents table clearly states that on page 17 you will find the demographic profiles talked about it the report. Furthermore you can also click on the contents table to take you directly to that page. When citing references it should be done to the page numbers of the report, not the ones that are automatically picked up on the pdf reader. This is standard practice for all.

Please learn it in the future as not to embarrass yourself.
Reply 57
Original post by anonymouspie227
I'm an advocate of equality personally.

What I do hate, is how men are told to not show feelings. I think that's awful. If you're sad please just don't bury it. I've met people who just seem dead because they won't show any emotion and It's horrible.

I used to know an American woman online on some social network who would repeatedly say how unattractive tears are on a man, and how she couldn't respect a man who wasn't stoical. She used to use shaming liberally to this effect, and I noticed how men would go out of their way to avoid being perceived as a "pussy" by her. She would constantly use words like "pussy" and "faggot" to describe men she didn't like. As well as claiming to be socially liberated, she was also a self-proclaimed Social Darwinist who only respected "the strong" and had enormous contempt for "the weak", and in her mind placed "unmanly" men in the latter category and, in turn, only respected men who were professionally, socially and sexually successful. It seems I was the only one in that social circle to perceive how women like her wielded the power and the men were all bowing to social pressure.

She then accused me of being effeminate and a "pussy", and claimed that showing emotion was rightfully a female prerogative. In return I called her the c-word, which she said was totally unacceptable. Erm, what's the difference exactly? And why shouldn't I drop the "c-bomb" on an obnoxious woman like that who pushes such gender roles on myself which I vehemently reject? More to the point, what gives her the right to switch from a stance of social liberation to being "all about the rules" when it suits her? Of course, like many women, her response was to resort to back-talk and other underhanded forms of aggression.

One thing I learned: A woman who expects men to live up to the "stoical" ideal, and shames them into doing so, is basically doing so in order that she doesn't have to show any empathy and compassion. As such, that kind of woman could only respect a man who is like Teflon, since any other kind of man would place expectations on her of having to display empathy and compassion which she happens to completely lack. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Doctor_Einstein
The fact they aren't forced to take on dangerous jobs doesn't mean their choice wasn't highly influenced by societal pressures that do not apply to women.

Most men do not choose these dangerous jobs to fulfill their dream career, but rather many sociological factors that are in play have ultimately driven them to these dangerous jobs - factors that evidently do not apply to women.

But if I accept your argument, it can be applied to many feminist arguments also. The government doesn't force women to look after children instead of working. Women aren't forced to not take up science careers etc.

Now with regards to male suicide, it is either a result of biology or a result of society. So you are suggesting it is a result of biology - yet most feminists claim that the brains of men and women are the same biologically. I'm not saying you take this feminist view, but I am typing this out for the feminists who do - they must accept that society causes high male suicide rates.

You're comment on jobs is fine; I only consider the whole "women in the kitchen thing" oppression when they HAVE to which isn't the case in the UK or when they aren't hired because they're women which is these days exceedingly rare to a point where I wouldn't class it an issue. I don't think men being expecting to be better suited to tougher jobs oppression in the same way I don't think women being better suited to more nurturing jobs oppression. To me they're just unavoidable stereotypes.

The suicide rate is an iffy topic which I don't know enough about to make a proper comment; I just don't believe it's society's fault. All I can really offer is that even as a feminist I don't believe women and men are biologically the same. Not to say either gender is all round stronger but they're both different.
Original post by EllieC130
The suicide rate is an iffy topic which I don't know enough about to make a proper comment; I just don't believe it's society's fault. All I can really offer is that even as a feminist I don't believe women and men are biologically the same. Not to say either gender is all round stronger but they're both different.

The suicide issue stems for the "man up" culture which forces men not to seek help with their problems and to hide it from society, otherwise they will face ridicule. Women are actively encouraged to talk about their emotions and it is socially acceptable for a women to show negative emotions in public. Whereas for men it is frowned upon and sometimes actively dismissed.

It is the fault of society at large, which is why we see such high suicide rates in men.

Quick Reply

Latest