The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bananaminion
100% not bitchy and not intended to be a put down, I'm sorry if it came across that way but I honestly don't see, rereading the few words there are up there, how it is.
I start stereotyping? Honestly, if you weren't welcome squad and that I'd say that you were trolling/ trying to pick a fight by pulling the race card and accusing me of stereotyping when, if you read what I wrote, I didn't.
ok this is silly, bye

It's hardly pulling the race card. I came here to offer the OP advice on something that sounded like some kind of identity issue and then you reply me with a snide remark, that suggested my intentions were in the wrong place.
Then when I replied to the snide remark you tried to suggest that I was being aggressive to you, and that I said that OP was black.
It doesn't matter what OP is or is not, what is important is that the OP realises that there's nothing wrong with being either race which I tried to convey in my initial post.
Original post by anonymouspie227
It's hardly pulling the race card. I came here to offer the OP advice on something that sounded like some kind of identity issue and then you reply me with a snide remark, that suggested my intentions were in the wrong place.
Then when I replied to the snide remark you tried to suggest that I was being aggressive to you, and that I said that OP was black.
It doesn't matter what OP is or is not, what is important is that the OP realises that there's nothing wrong with being either race which I tried to convey in my initial post.

ok considering someone else also thinks it sounds bitchy, I'm sorry, I genuinely didn't mean for it to be like that (and if you looked at my post history, if you cared, you'd see that I'm not like that).
The "people of colour thing", I was like "oh, ha ha, that's a bit funny, I've not seen that phrase in a long time". Not negative, just, "ooh that's funny". Hence the lol.
And the other bit, I genuinely thought that the way you said "lots of opportunities" was weird. Obviously now I see you didn't mean it like that.

It's pulling the race card to accuse me of stereotyping blacks when I made a comment about you, personally, replying aggressive (which you were btw, look at your post).

Aand I thought you did say OP was black, when you said something like ~i just want to convince OP that it's not disadvantageous for her to be black~.

Yeah, I agree with you.
Original post by thechemistress
Your post was clearly bitchy. Grow up.

alrighty
Original post by bananaminion
ok considering someone else also thinks it sounds bitchy, I'm sorry, I genuinely didn't mean for it to be like that (and if you looked at my post history, if you cared, you'd see that I'm not like that).
The "people of colour thing", I was like "oh, ha ha, that's a bit funny, I've not seen that phrase in a long time". Not negative, just, "ooh that's funny". Hence the lol.
And the other bit, I genuinely thought that the way you said "lots of opportunities" was weird. Obviously now I see you didn't mean it like that.

It's pulling the race card to accuse me of stereotyping blacks when I made a comment about you, personally, replying aggressive (which you were btw, look at your post).

Aand I thought you did say OP was black, when you said something like ~i just want to convince OP that it's not disadvantageous for her to be black~.

Yeah, I agree with you.

nice talking to you
Original post by Anonymous
I think it's because I feel that people don't take the concept of mixed-race seriously. I am happy to be mixed-race but if more people called me mixed race I would be happier and I would never call myself white.

I know I am not white and that is a ridiculous conclusion, but so is the conclusion that I am black, do you see the idea I'm trying to denote?

I'm glad you said you're happy to be mixed race, that's good for you.

Thing is with mixed race people, it isn't always obvious that they are mixed. Judging from your OP and the fact that you're 3/4, I assume you have a dark skin and so when people first meet you, they assume you're black. But if you ever get to discuss race etc and you inform them that you are in fact mixed race, I don't think they should have a problem with that or keep calling you black after that.
Race is something you can't change. So even if people don't take the fact that you're mixed race seriously, I advise you not to be bothered, because that fact will not change.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm so tired of people thinking being 'white' or 'black' is a personality type. You're mixed race, 1/4 white and 3/4 black. Seeing yourself as a 'white person' is just a very stereotypical, ignorant thing to say. You might fit in with certain people better, ones who share your hobbies and interests.
Original post by buzzybee143
I'm so tired of people thinking being 'white' or 'black' is a personality type. You're mixed race, 1/4 white and 3/4 black. Seeing yourself as a 'white person' is just a very stereotypical, ignorant thing to say. You might fit in with certain people better, ones who share your hobbies and interests.

We're just a bit backwards as a country in the way we see each other. There is a bit of an identity and stereotypical crisis in the present British society :frown:
Original post by Black Cat
You're just as much white as black, however white people will class you as being black regardless of what you may say one drop rule.

She is more black than she is white because she's 3/4 black and 1/4 white.
We're just a bit backwards as a country in the way we see each other. There is a bit of an identity and stereotypical crisis in the present British society :frown:

I don't think that will ever dissapear. You can't change the way people think and see others. We just have to embrace what society is, do what we enjoy and be what we are regardless.
Original post by Tai Ga
LMAO that you consider yourself white. White people are probably laughing at you :rofl: The self-hate is real.

Its almost comical how desperate OP is to be fully white :giggle:

Just be proud of who you are, being 3/4 black is nothing to be ashamed of.
But I'm not black and I am not white, I am mixed race right? So people should really call me mixed-race, wouldn't that be correct?

You just said that you consider yourself white English? :s-smilie:
Original post by Rlove95
She is more black than she is white because she's 3/4 black and 1/4 white.

That is true but she isn't black but mixed race and can therefore identify as white as a quarter is quite significant. Although she is mixed race and would probably find life easier if she started to call herself mixed-race. It's all up to here though I guess, each to their own.
Original post by PaulHugh
That is true but she isn't black but mixed race and can therefore identify as white as a quarter is quite significant. Although she is mixed race and would probably find life easier if she started to call herself mixed-race. It's all up to here though I guess, each to their own.

I don't think her calling herself mixed-race matters, people will probably still view her as black if her skin colour is dark enough. Its something she'll have to accept, I can understand her identifying more with her English side than her African side, and I can understand why she wouldn't call herself African but when it comes to skin colour, you can't identify more with a certain skin colour because skin colour is just that, the colour of your skin.

Your skin colour doesn't determine your culture, your 'style', your mannerism, your class or whatever. Whether she likes it or not, if she looks black, people will view her as black. If she looks mixed-race, people will view her as mixed-race, she can correct them and say no I'm not fully black, I'm mixed-race but it is very unlikely that anyone will ever accept that she is 'white English'. It is easier for her to say she is black and for people not to think twice about it than for her to say she is white.

I find it quite offensive that she is trying to distance herself from other black people like she's too good to be associated with black people. She needs to deal with her own issues of self-hate because otherwise she'll just get laughed at by both black and white people.
Yes I am mixed-raced English and you're black English, there's a difference; which is that I am not 'black' and you are.

That's absolutely ridiculous, that's like calling someone who is a quarter black and three quarters white a white individual. Yes they may be wrongly considered white and yes they can consider themselves as white but they aren't. That person would in fact be mixed race. If you have white in you or black in you, you can as an individual consider yourself as a black person or a white person but society should consider you as a mixed raced individual. Even so, some white people look slightly Arabic, but they're still white. So you can relate to a quarter cast who looks black but is in fact quarter cast (but falls in the mixed race category) anybody who isn't full black, full white or full brown (Asian, Arab etc) is categorised as mixed race.

I think its insulting and ignorant to call a mixed-race person black, even if they like being called black because they aren't black they are mixed-race. It would be overwhelming insane and asinine to call a mixed-race person african, my grandmother is an original white English; I have actual white relatives therefore I am not African. If you call me African, then you may as well call me English lol. But I see what you mean, it's rude to call a black English person African if they were born in England.

I wouldn't mind being called quarter cast, I am very proud to have white in me.

There's nothing wrong with bring black and living in England, you just experience a bit of prejudice right? A bit like how mixed-race people can.

I smell a troll.
Original post by JaiiStarh
I smell a troll.

It's getting harder to distinguish between trolls and deeply troubled individuals nowadays.
Original post by Rlove95
It's getting harder to distinguish between trolls and deeply troubled individuals nowadays.

Precisely why I rarely use this site these days lol.
I think she should conclude that she's mixed race but a majority of white people and black people will consider her to be black even when given relevant info. Some mixed race people will consider her to be mixed race and not black, but mixed race people are a very small minority.

She seems to have made some quite insane points and tried to hide racist remarks, but most of her points are understandable. I
feel sorry for her mother who supposedly has to deal with her eccentric ways.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by PaulHugh
I think she should conclude that she's mixed race but a majority of white people and black people will consider her to be black even when given relevant info. Some mixed race people will consider her to be mixed race and not black, but mixed race people are a very small minority.

She seems to have made some quite insane points and tried to hide racist remarks, but most of her points are understandable. I
feel sorry for her mother who supposedly has to deal with her eccentric ways.

I've learnt a lot from making this post and I have indeed come to a conclusion.
Mixed race or multi racial.
You got dat white blood in you
I've learnt a lot from making this post and I have indeed come to a conclusion.

What's your conclusion?

Latest

Trending

Trending