The Student Room Group

Devolution in Wales

Poll

Has devolution in Wales been for the better or the worse?

A thread primarily for the Welsh and Welsh-based contingent on TSR.

Do the positives of living in Wales versus England outweigh the negatives? Has devolution in Wales therefore been for the better or for the worse?

Scroll to see replies

Devolution of a principality? Throwing the dog a bone is one thing, but don't push it.

:colone:
Reply 2
Original post by O133
A thread primarily for the Welsh and Welsh-based contingent on TSR.

Do the positives of living in Wales versus England outweigh the negatives? Has devolution in Wales therefore been for the better or for the worse?

Wales Is unique in that because it has refused to adopt the Blair/Gove reforms it has actually fallen back, same for the NHS. That said it does keep electing Welsh Labour much like Bradford with its failure.

I'm actually struggling to think of any advantages to living in Wales.
I'm a federalist (and obviously a strong democrat on that note) so I'm a supporter of more devolution, and especially equality between both scotland/wales/NI and england (e.g. english parliament as well as a scottish one)
Original post by Rakas21
Wales Is unique in that because it has refused to adopt the Blair/Gove reforms it has actually fallen back, same for the NHS. That said it does keep electing Welsh Labour much like Bradford with its failure.

As a Welsh person I can tell you there arent any and that's why I no longer live there. Labour has turned Wales into a cesspit of a nation and it hurts to say that but the problem is so many have a deep rooted hatred of the Tories and Thatcher in particular due to the mines etc that it will most likely stay that way unless UKIP surges on.
Original post by Sanctimonious
As a Welsh person I can tell you there arent any and that's why I no longer live there. Labour has turned Wales into a cesspit of a nation and it hurts to say that but the problem is so many have a deep rooted hatred of the Tories and Thatcher in particular due to the mines etc that it will most likely stay that way unless UKIP surges on.

Labour has managed to ruin Wales despite also having ruled England for most of the lifetime of the Assembly.
Original post by O133
Labour has managed to ruin Wales despite also having ruled England for most of the lifetime of the Assembly.

Old Labour does not equate to New Labour and different administrations have different focuses.
Original post by Sanctimonious
Old Labour does not equate to New Labour and different administrations have different focuses.

I know, so maybe it's not correct to pin the blame on Labour.
Reply 8
Original post by O133
I know, so maybe it's not correct to pin the blame on Labour.

Welsh Labour has been able to be somewhat independent of Westminster Labour, hence why they never really caught the Blairite bug. Neither did Scotland.

Welsh Labour won't change until they get punished electorally just as English Labour did in the 80's.
Original post by Rakas21
Welsh Labour has been able to be somewhat independent of Westminster Labour, hence why they never really caught the Blairite bug. Neither did Scotland.

Welsh Labour won't change until they get punished electorally just as English Labour did in the 80's.

Exactly.
The Welsh Assembly I think will always have a Labour majority of seats and I don't think Labour have done much good for Wales in the sense of business investment and job creation, so definitely worse.
Reply 11
Original post by Rakas21

Id say £5500 fee uni fee reduction and free prescriptions are both quite big advantages
Reply 12
Original post by rs232
Id say £5500 fee uni fee reduction and free prescriptions are both quite big advantages

If youre a student who is likely to pay off the rest of the loan or very old/disabled then mebby.

Hadly like VAT is 15% and the NHS outcomes are better.
Isn't Wales home to some of the poorest regions in EU? Isn't Wales also home to some of the poorest parts of UK?

Can't remember now is it Wales or Northern Ireland that is poorer these days?

Has to be bad if after years of funding from EU it is still a cesspit where countries like Poland are actually on the rise.
The average GDP of Wales is what I could find down the back of my sofa.

I think that answers the question.
I live in England now and it's way better here. Although I live in a nice city so I'm sure Wales is better than some of England's bad places, like Burnley for instance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alfissti
Isn't Wales home to some of the poorest regions in EU? Isn't Wales also home to some of the poorest parts of UK?

Can't remember now is it Wales or Northern Ireland that is poorer these days?

Has to be bad if after years of funding from EU it is still a cesspit where countries like Poland are actually on the rise.

I've heard of examples where companies around Europe have wanted to invest in Wales, setting up headquarters there or simply just expanding within the UK. The companies found it impossible to cooperate with the Welsh councils because they are so severely inept. I love Wales and visit family there often, but my word I can't think of anywhere else in the world run by the most useless people.

The people in charge over there are more concerned, and better adapted to dealing with things like getting the Welsh language printed on pens or investing in a campaign to promote recognition of some obscure 17th century novelist. Wales and globalisation? I don't think so.
Reply 17
Original post by Quady

Hadly like VAT is 15% .

What?
I'm from England (Yorkshire) and I'd say they devolution is for the better, I'm a fan of autonomy and power to local authorities and hope that someday Yorkshire gets it's own assembly like Wales. I see no reason why we should be ruled by Westminster an entity which we are so ideologically opposed to.
Reply 19
Original post by KrisCussans
I'm from England (Yorkshire) and I'd say they devolution is for the better, I'm a fan of autonomy and power to local authorities and hope that someday Yorkshire gets it's own assembly like Wales. I see no reason why we should be ruled by Westminster an entity which we are so ideologically opposed to.

Should North Yorkshire be devolved from a devolved Yorkshire since they are in agreement with Westminister?

Oh wait, thats what local Government is all about...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending