The Student Room Group

A-Levels!!!!!!

Hey, I'm a mostly C grade GCSE student with a couple Bs and an A. I'm not 100% sure what I want to do at uni. Maybe Psychology, Accounting with Economics or an Arts subject. Anyway I have two offers.

Sixth form offered me Photography, Statistics, History and Philosophy&Ethics.

College (80 minutes away) offered me English Literature, Psychology, Geography and Mathematics.

Which one has the best flexibility for the future? I'm really unsure! Will distance be a problem if I go to college? To be honest I could have done much better if I had put the effort in at GCSE. That's why I know I will put the effort in at Alevel.

All responses are greatly appreciated!:rolleyes:
I'll start by saying that I've just finished my AS year of sixth form. I, like you, didn't try particular hard at GCSE and, although my grades in the first instance were higher, it is definitely possible to get more from sixth form as you expect from yourself.

In regards to your sixth form and college offers I would suggest that the college would give you the greater flexibility-the subjects are just that bit more academically rigorous, thus gaining you a little more prestige which could be all important in a uni application if that's the route you choose.

You do mention the travel though and I think that is actually the biggest factor in your decision. It being 80 minutes away means you'll be spending 2 hours 40 minutes travelling each day. Considering that you will have much more work than at GCSE it may be that travelling so far removes your opportunity to complete this. I personally go to a grammar school sixth form which attracts people from a wide area, but yet I know no one who travels so far.

I think, bearing that in mind, I'd chose the sixth form. 80 minutes each way is, in my opinion. is too much travelling. Maybe it'd be worth your time to try and get the same subjects at the sixth form as you would get at the college-I'd certainly recommend that approach.
Original post by TheBigTime
I'll start by saying that I've just finished my AS year of sixth form. I, like you, didn't try particular hard at GCSE and, although my grades in the first instance were higher, it is definitely possible to get more from sixth form as you expect from yourself.

In regards to your sixth form and college offers I would suggest that the college would give you the greater flexibility-the subjects are just that bit more academically rigorous, thus gaining you a little more prestige which could be all important in a uni application if that's the route you choose.

You do mention the travel though and I think that is actually the biggest factor in your decision. It being 80 minutes away means you'll be spending 2 hours 40 minutes travelling each day. Considering that you will have much more work than at GCSE it may be that travelling so far removes your opportunity to complete this. I personally go to a grammar school sixth form which attracts people from a wide area, but yet I know no one who travels so far.

I think, bearing that in mind, I'd chose the sixth form. 80 minutes each way is, in my opinion. is too much travelling. Maybe it'd be worth your time to try and get the same subjects at the sixth form as you would get at the college-I'd certainly recommend that approach.

The sixth form told me what I could do, I had no say. I'm happy with the subjects there. Id be joining the year below me. Its a case of doing the more academic option but with alot of travelling or less academic alevels with a much shorter journey. As I cant change the options which do you think is the best option for me? How academic are the subjects at sixth form. I 100% want to go to uni.
Personally I would go with the college offer as doing English can lead to many degrees and universities favour them. My older sister just finished her a levels with an A* and two A's and she's going Durham. She used to travel two hours each way to her college.

Sometimes studying in a different environment will give you an advantage. At the end of the day it's your choice. If the sixth form is a better option for you then go for it. Just don't let something as silly as travel set barriers in your education. :biggrin:
Original post by SparklyUnicornz
Personally I would go with the college offer as doing English can lead to many degrees and universities favour them. My older sister just finished her a levels with an A* and two A's and she's going Durham. She used to travel two hours each way to her college.

Sometimes studying in a different environment will give you an advantage. At the end of the day it's your choice. If the sixth form is a better option for you then go for it. Just don't let something as silly as travel set barriers in your education. :biggrin:

This is what I needed to hear. THANK YOU :biggrin: College it is!
Original post by MidnightSleeper
This is what I needed to hear. THANK YOU :biggrin: College it is!

No problem :biggrin: Good luck with your A-levels!
No problem :biggrin: Good luck with your A-levels!

Hey, thanks! What Alevels have you taken or are going to take?

Thanks again! :biggrin:
Hey, thanks! What Alevels have you taken or are going to take?

Thanks again! :biggrin:

Taking Maths, Chemistry, Biology and English Literature or Anthropology. Literally gonna have no social life for the next two years :frown:
Taking Maths, Chemistry, Biology and English Literature or Anthropology. Literally gonna have no social life for the next two years :frown:

I feel sorry for you. I failed Science (got DD in Dual.) English Literature is sooo good! What exam boards are you with?
Reply 9
Do the subjects you feel most excited about because they will be the ones you do best in; that's all which matters :smile:

Careers and degrees will following naturally if that's what you choose to do :smile:
Original post by nicatre
Do the subjects you feel most excited about because they will be the ones you do best in; that's all which matters :smile:

Careers and degrees will following naturally if that's what you choose to do :smile:

Thank you! That's definitely Maths, Psychology, English Literature and Geography!!! Even though I may be a little shaky in Maths and Geography at the beginning they are what I'm looking forward too! Thanks!!
Thank you! That's definitely Maths, Psychology, English Literature and Geography!!! Even though I may be a little shaky in Maths and Geography at the beginning they are what I'm looking forward too! Thanks!!

A Level tip: read things before class so that you come to class with some idea of the material. It'll mean you'll already have questions which the teacher can answer and you'll essentially be re-visiting it that time.

I struggled through my A Levels but used that technique for A2 Chem (Y)

Quick Reply

Latest