The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Inzamam99
A well-known Israeli politician and parliament member has branded Palestinians as terrorists, saying mothers of all Palestinians should also be killed during the ongoing Israeli assault on the besieged Gaza Strip, Daily Sabah reported.

Total bull.

Already covered. She didn't even make the statement.

It was a quote made by a journalist in 2002 which she somehow got tagged to on facebook.
Original post by tsr1269
Israeli censorship of the media not only involves:

a) Forcing journalists to evacuate their buildings
b) Forcing journalists to sign a disclaimer saying the IDF will not be responsible for any injuries
c) Carrying out airstrikes against media buildings

but it now also involves the killing of the press:

Except, they knew the risks when they went into A WAR ZONE. Those risks include potential loss of life/serious injury
(edited 9 years ago)
This is the phrase that seems to get trotted out with regards to Israel. We rarely, if ever, hear this phrase used to describe any other conflict.

The BBC peddle this notion extensively against Israel.

The anti-Israel mob claim that Israel is a superior force and that Hamas and/or the 'palestinians' do not have the same fire power as Israel.

They claim, in an effort to show who the aggressor is, that Israel kills more 'palestinians' than 'palestinians' kill Israelis - so therefore Israel must be in the wrong, eh?

Let's get a few things straight.

1) In battle, the whole point is to inflict greater harm on your enemy as they inflict on you. To inflict a disproportionate amount of force until victory.

For example, The British responded to V2 rockets and general German skulduggery, by fire-bombing whole German cities killing tens of thousands.

NATO responded to Serbia's skulduggery by bombing them to bits.

NATO (including British forces) are currently bombing Taliban with Apache attack gunships, AC-130's and drones against people in caves with Ak47's

So is that not disproportionate force? is NATO using the most sophisticated weapons on the planet against cave-dwellers not "disproportionate"?

2) Casualty figures.

Many people want to see parity between Israeli and 'palestinian' casualties for some reason. Perhaps because it would make it more acceptable in their eyes.

Casualty figures are not an indication of who is guilty or who the aggressor is.

Again, the British forces killed more German civilians than Germans killed British. This did not make the British the aggressors.

453 British troops have died in Afghanistan. I think it's fair to say British troops have killed way more than 453 Afghans/Talibs.

So are we to blame the Israelis for being a bit too good at wars? are they paying the political price for investing in defence of their people with extensive bomb shelter networks, siren warnings and Iron Dome?

Are we really blaming them for not dying enough and creating parity?

Prior to the 1967 war, it was the Israelis who were the darlings of the world. It was them who were the noble, brave defenders against all odds and in the face of a much larger and better equipped combined Arab force.

The problem for Israel is that they won that war too well for some. Defeating the Arab armies in 6 days? it was a devastating defeat and what this did was make Israel appear the stronger. No longer the David, but now the Goliath.

The left wing began to abandon Israel after that 6-day war.
Original post by Jammy Duel
Except, they knew the risks when they went into A WAR ZONE. Those risks include potential loss of life/serious injury

That one looks like a Pallywood production to me.
Original post by Jammy Duel

I realize that. but you have to understand that even after taking into account the potential risk of life as well as the waivers, the Israeli's deliberately carry out airstrikes against press buildings.
And now: The Onion provides us with the best solution, given how generally unstable the Middle East is. At the very least, it can't make things worse.
Chindts: Your failure to confirm whether HAMAS killed 13+ soldiers indicates you do not have connections to the IDF, contrary to your claims.

The Times of Israel has just confirmed what HAMAS claimed earlier:

Running Total of IDF deaths/injuries: 18 Dead Soldiers, 50+ Injured. (The Commander of the Golani Brigade was also injured)...

Compared to previous operations, this pales in comparison.

Does this show that when HAMAS is severely threatened, the actually go around attacking the Israeli military instead of Israeli civilians? Let's face it, which would give HAMAS the bigger boost? Killing a civilian or killing an IDF soldier...

This might actually be a turning point in the conflict. One things for sure, Bibi will come under severe pressure at home. Whether he will go for full broke or withdraw remains to be seen...
John Kerry, the US Secretary of State comments on an open mic:

"Secretary of State John Kerry was caught on an open mic just before his interview with “Fox News Sunday” candidly speaking about the conflict in Gaza.

“It’s a hell of a pinpoint operation, it’s a hell of a pinpoint operation,” Kerry said to an aide on the phone, with some measure of frustration.
His comments seemed to be criticizing the Israeli government’s assurances about the limited scope of its attack and ground invasion of Gaza.
Kerry, speaking by phone to one of his top aides, then added: “We’ve got to get over there. Thank you John. I think John, we ought to go tonight. I think it’s crazy to be sitting around.”

Kerry was confronted on air by host Chris Wallace, who asked if Kerry was implying that the Israeli government had gone too far in its Gaza operations.

“While you were on camera and while you were on microphone, you just talked to one of your top aides about the situation in Israel and the fact that 14 Israelis have apparently been shot and killed in an operation,” Wallace said.
Kerry stood by his comments, while defending Israel’s right to defend itself.
“It’s tough to have these kind of operations. I reacted, obviously, in a way that anybody does with respect to young children and civilians,” Kerry said,
“War is tough. I’ve said that publicly and I've said it again. We defend Israeli’s right to do what it is doing,” Kerry said.
“We support Israel’s right to defend itself against rockets that are continuing to come in. Hamas has started its process of rocketing after Israel was trying to find the people who killed three young [people] one American kid, three young Israelis,” Kerry said."
Original post by tsr1269

Does this show that when HAMAS is severely threatened, the actually go around attacking the Israeli military instead of Israeli civilians?

Well, they don't have much choice now that the soldiers are on their door step. What an idiotic statement.

Let's face it, which would give HAMAS the bigger boost? Killing a civilian or killing an IDF soldier...

Considering over 80% of the victims of their suicide bombings were civilians, and their tunnels head towards Israelis civilian areas - I think we know the answer.

The fact so many Israeli soldiers have been killed is simply because they're not flattening the place. They're trying to pick out terrorist from civilian.

An APC was hit when an RPG was launched from a house.

Personally, I think Israel is being too careful about civilian losses to the detriment of their soldiers.
Original post by Chindits
Well, they don't have much choice now that the soldiers are on their door step. What an idiotic statement.

Does this mean that HAMAS are able to go toe to toe with Israel if they were afforded the same military equipment as Israel?

Considering over 80% of the victims of their suicide bombings were civilians, and their tunnels head towards Israelis civilian areas - I think we know the answer.

Except when they did infiltrate, there were reports of only IDF soldiers deaths, not any civilians. Wouldn't it have been easier and far less costlier to go after unarmed civilians than soldiers?

The fact so many Israeli soldiers have been killed is simply because they're not flattening the place. They're trying to pick out terrorist from civilian.

An APC was hit when an RPG was launched from a house.

Personally, I think Israel is being too careful about civilian losses to the detriment of their soldiers.

That Israeli propagandist is blinding you to the fact that Israel is coming under severe pressure from all quarters to stop the indiscriminate bombing of civilians.

If they react in their usual way (more bombings), I see them losing the support of many of their allies.

The US SoS John Kerry is fed up with the inaction of America.
Kuwait have just condemned the "Israeli aggression".
Abbas is meeting with Meshal
Turkey and Qatar have come up with a new ceasefire proposal which Israel will definitely reject
HAMAS are making soundwaves for the WB to rise up against this Zionist aggression and wanton killing of civilians.
There have been worldwide protests

All in all, barring any major mishaps, if HAMAS and the Palestinians hold on for a couple more days whilst Israel presses the self-destruct button, HAMAS will all but come out of this on top...
(edited 9 years ago)

Why are you celebrating deaths?

Does this show your true ideology?

Another pro-palestinian who loves death?

I'm just reporting the current news trend, not glorifying or celebrating deaths.

I can't apologize if "Israel is Great" is not trending. I suppose you need to get your propagandist machine bots to work overtime now.

I also cannot apologize if your Israeli propagandist brain cannot distinguish between news and cackling but that is perhaps unsurprising as your puppet master is also unable to distinguish between a "freedom fighter/terrorist" and a civilian/journalist.
You're a very angry young man. Can't you debate reasonably?

Oh, I've debated reasonably with you. But you do not seem to respond in kind.

I must say, you certainly fit the stereotype of a pro-palestinian.

Is that because I report the news?

Very unfortunate.

I agree that the deaths of the IDF soldiers is tragic. Very tragic indeed.

Which makes what I am about to write even more depressing:

Al Qassam have claimed that another 2 IDF soldiers were killed a couple of minutes ago and 5 others were injured in Dik, Gaza Central.

Could you confirm?
This video is in Arabic but no understanding of Arabic is necessary to show the utter devastation that Israeli's rain down upon the Palestinians on a daily basis:

Apparently, two out of the 13 IDF soldiers killed by HAMAS were also US citizens. I wonder what the Americans will make of this?
Original post by tsr1269
Apparently, two out of the 13 IDF soldiers killed by HAMAS were also US citizens. I wonder what the Americans will make of this?

Seven were killed when hit by an RPG fired from within a house.

And then people like you wonder why homes are hit and civilians die, eh?
Seven were killed when hit by an RPG fired from within a house.

And then people like you wonder why homes are hit and civilians die, eh?

Could you confirm that in the last hour or two, another two IDF (some reports are saying 6) were killed and another 5 were injured in Dik, Central Gaza?

Could you also question the IDF why they carried out an airstrike on an apartment block in Remal which killed 8 people just a couple of minutes ago when they were sitting down for their Iftar?

The irony of you enquiring why a person is celebrating death (who isn't even doing that anyway); you who do it every time an innocent Palestinian dies should empathise well.
Today the IDF murdered over 70 people in Shejaia.

Cries of "Did you see Ahmed?" "Did you see my wife?" echoed through the courtyard. Inside, dead and wounded lay on blood-stained floors.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/07/20/uk-palestinians-israel-idUKKBN0FP00N20140720