The Student Room Group

Choosing a level options

im just so confused about what i want to do when im older, i dont even know what a level options to choose, i was wondering whether former 6 formers could answer these questions pls thanks

is politics,economics,law and psychology a good mix? like is it traditional subjects?where could those subjects get me?

are there any subjects which uni's do not prefer aka don't take seriously?

THANKS
None of those are considered tradition or 'facilitating' subjects by top universities. The traditional or facilitating subjects would be the likes of maths, the sciences, English Literature and History.

However Economics is on the list of preferred subjects listed by trinity.
I'll give you the list (Its advised by most universities that you take at least 2 subjects from the A1/A2 lists)

LIST A1
Generally Suitable Science A-levels
Biology
Chemistry
Mathematics
Further Mathematics
Physics

LIST A2
Generally Suitable Arts A-levels
Art History
Chinese
Classical Civilisation
Economics
English Literature
French
Geography
German
Greek
History
Irish
Italian
Japanese
Latin
Music
Philosophy
Religious Studies
Russian
Spanish
Welsh

LIST B
Limited Suitability
Archaeology (Arch & Anth)
Art & Design (Architecture/History of Art)
Business Studies (Economics)
Design & Technology (Architecture)
Drama/Theatre Studies (Arts)
Electronics (Engineering)
English Language (Arts)
Film Studies (Arts)
Government & Politics (Arts)
Law (Law)
Media Studies (Arts)
Psychology (Arts)
Sociology (Arts)

LIST C
Unsuitable A-levels
Accounting
Citizenship
Communication Studies
Critical Thinking
Dance
General Studies
Health & Social Care
Home Economics
ICT
Leisure Studies
Music Technology
Performance Studies
Performing Arts
Photography
Physical Education
Sports Studies
Travel & Tourism

It really depends on the course and university, but it's strongly advised by all good universities that you take 2 subjects from the A lists as these are the more respected subjects and give you a wider range of degrees to choose from.
Original post by mariagev
im just so confused about what i want to do when im older, i dont even know what a level options to choose, i was wondering whether former 6 formers could answer these questions pls thanks

is politics,economics,law and psychology a good mix? like is it traditional subjects?where could those subjects get me?

are there any subjects which uni's do not prefer aka don't take seriously?

THANKS

Okay well first, none of those subjects are facilitating so you should change at least one.

How old are you might I ask? Like what stage are you at in your education?
Hi Maria, is there a particular field you know you might want to go into?

Politics, economics, law and psychology are all good subjects, but possibly not together. It really depends on where you want to go to university. Some universities will favour a combination of the social sciences (like your subjects) along with more academic subjects such as history, maths, sciences or languages.

I think the important thing to note is, for example, no university requires you to have studied law at A Level to undertake a degree in it. The same applies for politics and psychology (as far as I'm aware, other posters feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.). If you're thinking of doing economics, it's advisable to do maths A Level alongside it as it is very maths-y.
Original post by Sarao
None of those are considered tradition or 'facilitating' subjects by top universities. The traditional or facilitating subjects would be the likes of maths, the sciences, English Literature and History.

However Economics is on the list of preferred subjects listed by trinity.
I'll give you the list (Its advised by most universities that you take at least 2 subjects from the A1/A2 lists)

LIST A1
Generally Suitable Science A-levels
Biology
Chemistry
Mathematics
Further Mathematics
Physics

LIST A2
Generally Suitable Arts A-levels
Art History
Chinese
Classical Civilisation
Economics
English Literature
French
Geography
German
Greek
History
Irish
Italian
Japanese
Latin
Music
Philosophy
Religious Studies
Russian
Spanish
Welsh

LIST B
Limited Suitability
Archaeology (Arch & Anth)
Art & Design (Architecture/History of Art)
Business Studies (Economics)
Design & Technology (Architecture)
Drama/Theatre Studies (Arts)
Electronics (Engineering)
English Language (Arts)
Film Studies (Arts)
Government & Politics (Arts)
Law (Law)
Media Studies (Arts)
Psychology (Arts)
Sociology (Arts)

LIST C
Unsuitable A-levels
Accounting
Citizenship
Communication Studies
Critical Thinking
Dance
General Studies
Health & Social Care
Home Economics
ICT
Leisure Studies
Music Technology
Performance Studies
Performing Arts
Photography
Physical Education
Sports Studies
Travel & Tourism

It really depends on the course and university, but it's strongly advised by all good universities that you take 2 subjects from the A lists as these are the more respected subjects and give you a wider range of degrees to choose from.

Brilliant post, I didn't notice this before I posted myself but this is exactly what I was attempting to put across. :biggrin:
Reply 5
Well,what about the social science course of Warwick IFP…and according to this course what can I do in future…

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest